+ Reply to Thread
Page 198 of 386 FirstFirst ... 98 148 188 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 208 248 298 ... LastLast
Results 4,926 to 4,950 of 9626
  1. #4926
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  2. #4927
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    http://audio.weei.com/a/56227617/jos...e-wants-to.htm

    He claims his off day is his off day and that he is entitled to it since he only gets 18 off days a year.....including the offseason and the fact that he is a pitcher I dont know how he reached that conclusion.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  3. #4928
    Hemi-Goodness DrNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sunrise, FLA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    http://audio.weei.com/a/56227617/jos...e-wants-to.htm

    He claims his off day is his off day and that he is entitled to it since he only gets 18 off days a year.....including the offseason and the fact that he is a pitcher I dont know how he reached that conclusion.
    That might be the best possible answer to add fuel to the fire..well done Joshie
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

  4. #4929

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Buster Olney said Beckett is the most stubborn person in baseball, but there really isnt a way to trade him unless they get an albatross contract in return. he mentioned Alfonso Soriano

  5. #4930
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    http://audio.weei.com/a/56227617/jos...e-wants-to.htm

    He claims his off day is his off day and that he is entitled to it since he only gets 18 off days a year.....including the offseason and the fact that he is a pitcher I dont know how he reached that conclusion.
    And some Yankee fans were questioning Joba's judgement for jumping on a trampoline with his son. Well done, Josh.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  6. #4931

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    This is fantastic. Think they might have a fire sale before the All-Star break?

  7. #4932

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    This is fantastic. Think they might have a fire sale before the All-Star break?
    Don't think that's gonna happen for a number of reasons

    They don't have valuable tradeable chips except Youkilis. Joshie got 10/5 rights and is toxic right now. TEams would know they were desperate and they wouldn't get value if they were able to make a trade

    Lucky won't admit he was wrong on Valentine, so he's not gonna get fired this year

    There's still the hope that DiceK and other returning players will right the ship

    Despite the fact that the sellout streak continues, there have been a lot of empty seats. If they bailed on this season that would get a lot worse
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

  8. #4933
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    http://audio.weei.com/a/56227617/jos...e-wants-to.htm

    He claims his off day is his off day and that he is entitled to it since he only gets 18 off days a year.....including the offseason and the fact that he is a pitcher I dont know how he reached that conclusion.
    I agree with his position generally, but in this specific instance when word on the street is that he has an issue in a muscle that was going to prevent a start (and based on yesterday maybe it should have) it was very bad judgment.

  9. #4934
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    It seems like the clueless virus had infected the entire franchise:

    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...k_bos&c_id=bos
    As for the golf outing, Beckett and the Red Sox seemed unified in saying the uproar was much ado about nothing.

    "I don't think it was a big deal at all, but people feel differently than I do, I guess," said Buchholz. "Just like last year. The whole beer and chicken thing wouldn't have been a story if we would have won and went to the playoffs. There's always got to be something to talk about. I think that's what it comes down to."

    Valentine also dismissed the story as a non-issue.
    "I've never seen a pitcher get hurt playing golf," Valentine said. "Again, I didn't think he was injured when he was skipped."
    Just because he's never seen a player get hurt playing golf, it doesn't mean it can't happen. However, he and the rest of them seem to be missing the point - if you're not able to pitch because of a strained muscle (or whatever else) and you choose to participate in another physical activity, you're running the risk of doing further damage and/or having an impact on your performance on the mound. Additionally, you're inviting people to wonder, "Just how much is he really hurting?" If he really thinks the fans were only booing him for a crappy game, it must take him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.

    Yes, Bobby, there's always something to talk about......and the Sox are doing a pretty good job of providing the material.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  10. #4935
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I've never heard of a pitcher getting injured shot putting, but that doesn't mean a guy with forearm stiffness should go do it.

  11. #4936
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    It seems like the clueless virus had infected the entire franchise:

    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...k_bos&c_id=bos


    Just because he's never seen a player get hurt playing golf, it doesn't mean it can't happen. However, he and the rest of them seem to be missing the point - if you're not able to pitch because of a strained muscle (or whatever else) and you choose to participate in another physical activity, you're running the risk of doing further damage and/or having an impact on your performance on the moung. Additionally, you're inviting people to wonder, "Just how much is he really hurting?" If he really thinks the fans were only booing him for a crappy game, it must take him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.

    Yes, Bobby, there's always something to talk about......and the Sox are doing a pretty good job of providing the material.
    Agree. If he was healthy and making his starts, this wouldn't be an issue. But the moment you skip a start because of a tight muscle -- which was the rationale the Red Sox provided -- it's disingenuous to say "I didn't think he was injured."

    So, Bobby, what are our priorities here - he's healthy enough to golf, but not enough to pitch? I can't imagine that makes paying customers feel very warm and fuzzy.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  12. #4937
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Sure Bobby V, you skipped over your number two pitcher for a journeyman minor leaguer just because you felt like it.
    Life is good!

  13. #4938
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...t_needs_t.html
    Forget about the fact that Red Sox "ace" Josh Beckett got lit up to the tune of seven runs over a measly 2 1/3 innings by the Cleveland Indians last night at Fenway Park. Forget about the fried chicken and beer, Beckett's reported refusal to participate in workout drills, and his public relations firm members who sit high atop home plate at Fenway Park.

    Those are all reasons Josh Beckett needs to go. But during last night's postgame press conference, Beckett gave everybody -- fans, the front office, media members -- a reason to run him out of town with a ferocious vigor not seen in this town in years.

    Beckett's smug defiance encapsulates everything we need to know about the 2012 Boston Red Sox, an over-privileged, under-achieving group of players who have become enemies to nearly every baseball-loving fan in Boston.

    And Beckett is the contemptible bandleader.
    [snip]
    Spare me the notion that the Red Sox can't get rid of a guy who gave them almost 200 innings of work last season. The franchise is a disgrace, and Beckett is reason No. 1 why they have been an international laughingstock (Hello, Anfield) for the past nine months. This team is going nowhere; poorly constructed, poorly managed, and poorly marketed. The Red Sox need Josh Beckett why again?

    It's not that Beckett doesn't get it, he just doesn't care, and that is the most damning characteristic an athlete, someone who gets paid millions of dollars to achieve his greatest heights possible in order to help his team, can possess. But it isn't just his public perception that Beckett clearly doesn't care about. Last September proved he doesn't care about his team, causing his manager, trainers, and countless others to lose their jobs.

    And he's still here. Why?

    Ben Cherington now has the unenviable task of trying to find some team willing to take this infectious load off his hands. The Red Sox will have to eat a significant portion of Beckett's contract, but what else is new? Add it to the list.
    Boston fans deserve a lot better than what they've had to watch the past few years. As a player, I just do not understand how you can think that you can do whatever you want and not be held accountable. In this case, the FO is just as responsible for this monumental collapse as the team. These are grown men, getting paid a boatload of money to play a game for a living. You need somebody to tell you that drinking beer during a game is not going to go over well with fans? Maybe you'd better re-think shelling out money to a public relations firm because right now, your realtionship with the public is shot and there isn't any amount of spin they can put on it to justify keeping your sorry ass in Boston.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  14. #4939
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    "The franchise is a disgrace, and Beckett is reason No. 1 why they have been an international laughingstock (Hello, Anfield) for the past nine months. This team is going nowhere; poorly constructed, poorly managed, and poorly marketed. The Red Sox need Josh Beckett why again?"

    Strong words but hard to argue.
    Life is good!

  15. #4940

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I'm telling you it's the curse of Pete Abrambinoham.


  16. #4941
    NYYF Cy Young

    BobLoblaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NH

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    http://audio.weei.com/a/56227617/jos...e-wants-to.htm

    He claims his off day is his off day and that he is entitled to it since he only gets 18 off days a year.....including the offseason and the fact that he is a pitcher I dont know how he reached that conclusion.
    What a dummy. Just apologize, regardless if you're really sorry or not, and let it die.

    Oh man, I am enjoying this Sox team this year.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

  17. #4942

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Don't think that's gonna happen for a number of reasons

    They don't have valuable tradeable chips except Youkilis. Joshie got 10/5 rights and is toxic right now. TEams would know they were desperate and they wouldn't get value if they were able to make a trade

    Lucky won't admit he was wrong on Valentine, so he's not gonna get fired this year

    There's still the hope that DiceK and other returning players will right the ship

    Despite the fact that the sellout streak continues, there have been a lot of empty seats. If they bailed on this season that would get a lot worse
    Beckett's 10/5 rights are irrelevant if the team is having a fire sale; he's not going to veto a trade away from an awful, self-destructing team, particularly when the fans already hate him.

    Pedroia would probably bring back more than he's worth, but that might be too much of a PR disaster given that 1) he's still reasonably young (won't be 29 until August), and 2) he's playing well and generally not embarrassing himself with douchebaggery.

    I definitely think that Lester would be easy to trade. His contract jumps up next year, and then there is a somewhat pricey ($13m) team option in 2014, but he still has a rep as a #1 guy.

    Ortiz is on a one-year deal, and he's raking, so he'd be really easy to trade to a team needing a left-handed bat. I could see him vetoing a trade, but if they're dumping the rest of the high-priced veterans, he'd probably go with it.

    Gonzalez is still highly-regarded. They wouldn't be able to get full-value for him, but I doubt they'd have a hard time moving that contract.

    The real problem is going to be Crawford. I'm not sure he's ever going to be an impact player again. Wrist injuries for hitters are the kiss of death, and Crawford at his best was only a good, not great, hitter. When you consider that he's going to be 31 this season, and that a lot of his value is tied up in his speed, which already looked to be in decline last year, in addition to the fact that he's got a potential long-term wrist problem coming off an abysmal season, I can't imagine anyone even considering a Crawford deal unless Boston eats literally about $80m, which seems unlikely.

  18. #4943

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...t_needs_t.html

    Boston fans deserve a lot better than what they've had to watch the past few years.
    After listening to the litany of Yanees suck chants at every event from baseball games, to football rallies to weddings, christenings, etc, combined with the ridiuclous arrogance I've witnessed since 2004*, I completely disagree.

    Now, if we broke Boston Fans down into the subset the posts here, it's a different story.
    Team Northern Lights

  19. #4944

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Now, if we broke Boston Fans down into the subset the posts here, it's a different story.

    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  20. #4945

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Exactly, Coffee. Well done.
    Team Northern Lights

  21. #4946
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    After listening to the litany of Yanees suck chants at every event from baseball games, to football rallies to weddings, christenings, etc, combined with the ridiuclous arrogance I've witnessed since 2004*, I completely disagree.

    Now, if we broke Boston Fans down into the subset the posts here, it's a different story.
    Agree.

  22. #4947
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I'd like to see the pic of the guy near the front row imitating a golf swing as Beckett left the mound.

  23. #4948

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Sure Bobby V, you skipped over your number two pitcher for a journeyman minor leaguer just because you felt like it.
    That's the weird part of the whole thing

    Were they that worried that they would lose Aaron Cook???

    Joshie himself admitted that the lat was bothering him before the 126 start, so why is he pretending now that nothing was wrong?

    And why is it that the Boston fan base deserves anything? They've been rooting for the dirt dog/cowboy up/gritty image for years.

    They're just reaping the dark side of that BS now and it couldn't happen to a more deserving group
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

  24. #4949

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Beckett's 10/5 rights are irrelevant if the team is having a fire sale; he's not going to veto a trade away from an awful, self-destructing team, particularly when the fans already hate him.

    Pedroia would probably bring back more than he's worth, but that might be too much of a PR disaster given that 1) he's still reasonably young (won't be 29 until August), and 2) he's playing well and generally not embarrassing himself with douchebaggery.

    I definitely think that Lester would be easy to trade. His contract jumps up next year, and then there is a somewhat pricey ($13m) team option in 2014, but he still has a rep as a #1 guy.

    Ortiz is on a one-year deal, and he's raking, so he'd be really easy to trade to a team needing a left-handed bat. I could see him vetoing a trade, but if they're dumping the rest of the high-priced veterans, he'd probably go with it.

    Gonzalez is still highly-regarded. They wouldn't be able to get full-value for him, but I doubt they'd have a hard time moving that contract.

    The real problem is going to be Crawford. I'm not sure he's ever going to be an impact player again. Wrist injuries for hitters are the kiss of death, and Crawford at his best was only a good, not great, hitter. When you consider that he's going to be 31 this season, and that a lot of his value is tied up in his speed, which already looked to be in decline last year, in addition to the fact that he's got a potential long-term wrist problem coming off an abysmal season, I can't imagine anyone even considering a Crawford deal unless Boston eats literally about $80m, which seems unlikely.
    No, the real problem is that if they trade Pedroia, Lester, and Gonzalez they'll have no team left and will be playing to an empty stadium and plummeting ratings and ad revenue

    They could trade them in theory, but in reality, they can't. It's not like the Nomar trade, this situation is f'd up way beyond that
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

  25. #4950

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Sure Bobby V, you skipped over your number two pitcher for a journeyman minor leaguer just because you felt like it.
    Remember back a few years ago when there was a group here that wanted Valentine to replace Torre?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 28 users browsing this thread. (11 members and 17 guests)

  1. NelsonMuntz
  2. Rice14
  3. False1
  4. Donnybaseball72
  5. Mo4ever
  6. effdamets
  7. TommyK8
  8. Beccash18
  9. wwjdd

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts