+ Reply to Thread
Page 189 of 422 FirstFirst ... 89 139 179 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 199 239 289 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 10533
  1. #4701
    NYYF Legend

    TommyK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    You seem like you have a full plate of sabermetrics going on there, BC, but I still think that if relievers were as interchangeable as you suggest, a top quality closer wouldn't command $10 million plus a year, and set up men wouldn't be getting $5-6 million per year.

  2. #4702
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Historically, yeah, but relief pitching tends to be unpredictable in the sense of below average guys often having a couple of great years and vice versa. Albers has been very good so far this year, other than the SSS.
    Are you aware of his terrible peripherals?

  3. #4703
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Are you aware of his terrible peripherals?
    Absolutely. Again, we're dealing with a small sample size, but his peripherals are looking pretty good so far this year. Obviously he has sucked historically, but so have lots of players who then go on to put up a great year or two. Check out Aaron Small's numbers before 2005. Obviously he was a very ................ty pitcher, but you guys gave him a shot in a time of need, he got hot and you continued to roll with the hot hand. Albers is in a similar situation this year.

    You could certainly argue that Albers has run into a bit of luck regarding his abnormally low BAPIP, but his K rate is also abnormally low. Obviously both are likely to revert closer to his respective career means. If he can maintain the stuff he's had so far this season (better than I've seen from him previously), however, could see his K rate climb while he maintains something close to what his WHIP is now.

  4. #4704
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    You seem like you have a full plate of sabermetrics going on there, BC, but I still think that if relievers were as interchangeable as you suggest, a top quality closer wouldn't command $10 million plus a year, and set up men wouldn't be getting $5-6 million per year.
    Top quality closers are usually better pitchers than set up men and, therefore, more valuable. Now, this alone invalidates your point, but it's also interesting to point out that top quality closers also get around the same amount of money as the standard #3 starter despite the fact that your standard #3 starter is far more valuable than your closer. Players aren't paid what they are worth relative to actual production and that should be overwhelmingly obvious to anyone who actually watches the game.

  5. #4705
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I just love that his name sounds so similar to Fat Albert.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  6. #4706
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I have to admit, their games are perhaps the most exciting in baseball
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  7. #4707

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I have to admit, their games are perhaps the most exciting in baseball
    And Aceves the cherry on top of that sundae
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  8. #4708
    Forum Regular
    Gator's Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pioneer Valley

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    What exactly is Ellsbury's status? I try to follow the Red Sox news around here and it seems very muted. I had thought that after the injury actually happened, the severity of it was being downplayed somewhat. but I have not heard any timetable for his return.

  9. #4709

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    You seem like you have a full plate of sabermetrics going on there, BC, but I still think that if relievers were as interchangeable as you suggest, a top quality closer wouldn't command $10 million plus a year, and set up men wouldn't be getting $5-6 million per year.
    Baseball executives have issues understanding value sometimes. Papelbon's contract is going to look awful in a year or two, and everyone knows it. K-Rod, Cordero, Ryan, etc., are all examples of guys who signed huge deals as relievers that blew up in their teams' faces.

  10. #4710

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator's Shadow View Post
    What exactly is Ellsbury's status? I try to follow the Red Sox news around here and it seems very muted. I had thought that after the injury actually happened, the severity of it was being downplayed somewhat. but I have not heard any timetable for his return.
    The last I heard it would be sometime in June.

  11. #4711

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The last I heard it would be sometime in June.
    Yeah, I heard 1st week in June at the earliest.

  12. #4712

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Jon Heyman@JonHeymanCBS #redsox signing mark prior. cant hurt. once great. rooting for him to come back.

  13. #4713

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Jon Heyman@JonHeymanCBS #redsox signing mark prior. cant hurt. once great. rooting for him to come back.
    Can he even sign a contract without injuring his arm at this point?

    Seems like there are much better options out there, but what do I care?


  14. #4714

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Top quality closers are usually better pitchers than set up men and, therefore, more valuable. Now, this alone invalidates your point, but it's also interesting to point out that top quality closers also get around the same amount of money as the standard #3 starter despite the fact that your standard #3 starter is far more valuable than your closer. Players aren't paid what they are worth relative to actual production and that should be overwhelmingly obvious to anyone who actually watches the game.

    Can you imagine a baseball world where that was actually the case? Juan Pierre would be paying MLB to stay rostered.


  15. #4715
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Youkilis is on the DL...Middlebrooks up:

    As expected, the Red Sox have activated third baseman Will Middlebrooks. In addition to Middlebrooks, the Red Sox have also activated pitcher Clayton Mortensen. More to come on corresponding roster moves. The Sox have one spot open after optioning Lars Anderson back to Pawtucket.

    Middlebrook is in the lineup and batting eighth (full lineup below)

    Valentine also said on WEEI that Aaron Cook would start on Saturday in place of Josh Beckett.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...ected-to-start
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  16. #4716
    NYYF Legend

    nhyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Youkilis is on the DL...Middlebrooks up:



    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...ected-to-start
    Is Beckett hurt or are they just pushing him back a day?

  17. #4717

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Is Beckett hurt or are they just pushing him back a day?
    I think they said possible lat strain ( his last outing over 120 pitches )

    Hard to believe w/ his dedication to conditioning....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  18. #4718
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Good call leaving Bard in as long as you did, Bobby.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  19. #4719
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Can you imagine a baseball world where that was actually the case? Juan Pierre would be paying MLB to stay rostered.
    All of Bob Uecker's jokes would become Juan's reality. It would be glorious.

  20. #4720
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-0...esn-jerry-remy

    I wonder why Peter Gammons is commentating for Red Sox games on NESN when he is supposed to be a 'reporter'. That being said, I hope Jerry Remy gets well soon. Knew he had cancer but didn't know that he also suffered from depression.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  21. #4721
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    So..what happened to Adrian's power? Is it still his shoulder?

  22. #4722
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    So..what happened to Adrian's power? Is it still his shoulder?
    He trained with Pujols last Winter.

  23. #4723
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    So..what happened to Adrian's power? Is it still his shoulder?
    It's just not in Gods plan for him to have a good year you know.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  24. #4724
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I hope you keep the Padilla as the 7th inning guy for at least half the season.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  25. #4725
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Clayton Mortensen? Isn't he that guy that covers the NFL for ESPN?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts