+ Reply to Thread
Page 185 of 384 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 195 235 285 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 9582

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    i wouldn't have given Crawford more than 6 for somewhere between 84-90.
    That's more realistic and yet still more generous than I'd be. I don't see Crawford as even a $10M player, and if you tell me "then you'd never have signed him" I'd say you're right, and if I'm a GM that didn't get Carl Crawford I'd be sleeping like a baby.

He's just not really that special, and there are much cheaper ways to get Carl Crawford level production in a major league lineup.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I'm dredging up (recent) past here, but the comments from Pedroia the other day were telling. When he said (paraphrasing) that Bobby (referencing Valentine by first name only) would "learn" and that maybe that sort of thing worked in Japan, it was a clear indication that Pedroia and the rest of the team still believe that they run the team, not Valentine. It was an indication that Valentine either lost their respect or never had it. It was also an indication that Pedroia believes that the "way things work" in Boston isn't the manager's way, but rather the players' way - that Bobby's way wasn't going to be their way.
    My thoughts exactly, I was about it make a similar post, but you've stated it pretty well. The idiots are running the asylum, and that's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's more realistic and yet still more generous than I'd be. I don't see Crawford as even a $10M player, and if you tell me "then you'd never have signed him" I'd say you're right, and if I'm a GM that didn't get Carl Crawford I'd be sleeping like a baby.

He's just not really that special, and there are much cheaper ways to get Carl Crawford level production in a major league lineup.
    Agreed. When they signed him and they were hyping up all the speed they would have in the OF with him and Ellsbury, my first thought was "Man, I hope one of them can climb 40 foot green walls".

Yea, a huge part of Crawford's value was his defense. Having him play in LF (he dislikes playing Center) in Fenway was just a waste of his talent.

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

I didn't think Crawford was a good fit for Boston...wasn't there a lot of speculation that he would not be comfortable in a large (intense) market? I know Theo had his spies on him but I thought that was the word on the street...

Kid's got a point.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Also--

Way to take charge, Bobby.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

Kid's got a point.
    Haha, that he does... although that seems like a less than supportive comment for the rest of the bullpen committee.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Kid's got a point.
    Hilarious. Glad to see they've got each others' backs. Cowboy up!
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Kid's got a point.
    omg, that has to be my new signature.

Seriously, how long can Bobby and Ben survive. I know the Red Sox are blaming alot of this on theo, but Ben has not done anything to warrant his GM status.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Yea, a huge part of Crawford's value was his defense. Having him play in LF (he dislikes playing Center) in Fenway was just a waste of his talent.
    Absolutely. Having your best D. OF play where Manny played is the ultimate waste of talent.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Posted in GT thread, but fits here. Re: Bard

Talk about knee jerk reactions. Is Bobby V managing based on internet forum responses or something? Sheesh, you remove a pitcher from the rotation after 2 bad April starts? I consider the first 2 or 3 April starts to be Super-Spring-Training games anyway. They weren't even that bad. He has a 4.63 ERA in his first two starts as a starter If every starter pitcher that started the season with a 4.63ERA after 2 starts was pushed into the bullpen, we'd have very few starting pitchers.

Yeah, the BP needs help, but the starters aren't exactly cruising through innings. Boston starters are averaging 5.93ERA (outside Bard, he actually lowers it to a glorious 5.75 ERA).
    I'm sure this jerking him from starter to reliever and then starter again over a period of 2 or 3 starts is great for his long term development and the team's long term interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44 View Post
    Can someone post the clip of Hamilton's massive HR in Fenway last week please, I cant find it
    469 feet. Holy crap. And that's in cold weather.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Agreed. When they signed him and they were hyping up all the speed they would have in the OF with him and Ellsbury, my first thought was "Man, I hope one of them can climb 40 foot green walls".
    I never understood their emphasis on outfield defense. I think the speedy Posada could cover LF for them effectively for half the season.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

This was posted on SoSH. Madden tends to talk a lot of nonsense (releasing ARod a few years back), so take this with a grain of salt.

After the week that was, in which [Bobby Valentine] had to (1) apologize for disparaging Kevin Youkilis, (2) banish one of his GM's prize offseason acquisitions, Mark Melancon, to the minors and (3) proceeded to screw up two games against the Tampa Bay Rays and Texas Rangers by going against the basic tenets of Managing 101, wethinks Bobby V is already wondering what he's gotten himself into by returning to the managerial wars with the Red Sox.

And this doesn't include the near player revolt he had on his hands the very first week of spring training when, the Daily News has learned, he got all over shortstop Mike Aviles in what sources described as "a very ugly scene" during infield drills. After a group of Red Sox players confronted him with outrage, Valentine had to apologize to Aviles.

Since then, Valentine has outwardly praised Aviles ...

There is fast-growing clubhouse resentment toward Valentine, who's been too much of a culture shock for Red Sox players accustomed to easy-going Terry Francona, and all signs point to a long 100th season at old Fenway. The question is: Will it be a much shorter one for Bobby V?
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1sn1Oj5a6

A loveable bunch. A lot of people (myself included) dismissed the whole notion of Cashman going after good character guys when he signed CC/Tex/AJ, but it looks like Theo sorta ignored that.

..and LOL at Cody Ross showboating after that homer. Does he realize he's Cody Ross?

NYYF Legend

This was posted on SoSH. Madden tends to talk a lot of nonsense (releasing ARod a few years back), so take this with a grain of salt.

A loveable bunch. A lot of people (myself included) dismissed the whole notion of Cashman going after good character guys when he signed CC/Tex/AJ, but it looks like Theo sorta ignored that.

..and LOL at Cody Ross showboating after that homer. Does he realize he's Cody Ross?

Nuts. I actually thought he was a good match with this team. I guess time will tell, but this is about as bad as it can be this early.

As for Ross...he's allowed. He basically won SF a WS on the offensive end in 2010. A 1.076 OPS along with 5 homers and 10 RBIs in the playoffs.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I hear a lot of people comparing the Red Sox slow start this year with their 2-10 start last year.
    But this year it's different. Last year it was an anomaly. We all knew it wouldn't last...this year it is indicative of the team they have....let them fight with the Orioles for last place all year long!
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    Seriously, how long can Bobby and Ben survive. I know the Red Sox are blaming alot of this on theo, but Ben has not done anything to warrant his GM status.
    You mean promising to service Larry Lucchino in whatever way the old man requires isn't enough qualification?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    In fairness to Ben, they gave him a roster with no flexibility and no money. And that's where the defense of the Crawford and Lackey signings falls apart -- they backed themselves into a corner by signing those guys and Gonzalez, given that they team works to not exceed the salary cap. And I don't see that farm system bailing them out anytime soon.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    As for Ross...he's allowed. He basically won SF a WS on the offensive end in 2010. A 1.076 OPS along with 5 homers and 10 RBIs in the playoffs.
    He's still Cody Ross.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Posted in GT thread, but fits here. Re: Bard

Talk about knee jerk reactions. Is Bobby V managing based on internet forum responses or something? Sheesh, you remove a pitcher from the rotation after 2 bad April starts? I consider the first 2 or 3 April starts to be Super-Spring-Training games anyway. They weren't even that bad. He has a 4.63 ERA in his first two starts as a starter If every starter pitcher that started the season with a 4.63ERA after 2 starts was pushed into the bullpen, we'd have very few starting pitchers.

Yeah, the BP needs help, but the starters aren't exactly cruising through innings. Boston starters are averaging 5.93ERA (outside Bard, he actually lowers it to a glorious 5.75 ERA).
    I'm sure this jerking him from starter to reliever and then starter again over a period of 2 or 3 starts is great for his long term development and the team's long term interests.

469 feet. Holy crap. And that's in cold weather.
    I'm loving Hamilton on my fantasy team.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

The Bobby V. experiement isn't going to end well. He just can't shut his mouth and he has no freakin filters either. So far I'm loving it and I don't know any Sox fans that even like the guy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    The Bobby V. experiement isn't going to end well. He just can't shut his mouth and he has no freakin filters either. So far I'm loving it and I don't know any Sox fans that even like the guy.
    Sometimes I wonder if they hired Bobby knowing it was going to be a disaster.....so they could ask Francona to come back.

One other problem with this group, according to Buster Olney, is that they have no one who is a take charge guy. He mentioned Gabe Kapler and Alex Cora as past players who made sure everybody stayed in line, but did it in a way that didn't cause more problems. The first player who came to mind as one who should be filling this role now is Papi, but then he seems to be "too nice" to confront teammates on a regular basis - and this team apparently needs it every day.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I hear a lot of people comparing the Red Sox slow start this year with their 2-10 start last year.
    But this year it's different. Last year it was an anomaly. We all knew it wouldn't last...this year it is indicative of the team they have....let them fight with the Orioles for last place all year long!
    Agreed. That type of analysis is just lazy, and I've heard it from different media sources up here. A 5 second visit to B-R.com shows that the 2011 team went 18-8 vs NY and Anaheim. Most likely that won't happen again.

But then there's the real stuff - worse bullpen, relying on Buchholz to win 18 games, improved AL east, etc.....There was such little margin for error for this team, even when healthy, IMO.
    Team Northern Lights

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

I read that on Sunday and im surprised nobody in the mainstream media caught on to that yet.....the bigger joke ofcourse is Lupica's article on the same website where he makes Valentine look like a Saint. I dont even know how Mike Lupica is still allowed to work in the city of NY
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Thread Information