+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 422 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 10544
    Addicted Member

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I also want to add that in today's game with it's current crop of players and mega-millionaire bench-warmers, Valentine's tactics will not only prove to be outdated and ineffective, but embarrassing as well. We just may wind up pitying him.
    He can play his 'woe is me' act on Michael Kay's show, that will go over well in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I also want to add that in today's game with it's current crop of players and mega-millionaire bench-warmers, Valentine's tactics will not only prove to be outdated and ineffective, but embarrassing as well. We just may wind up pitying him.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on expecting any pity from this group.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on expecting any pity from this group.....

Well, if done in a mocking fashion, I'm sure a few of us will sign up.

This has made my day. It is exactly the sort of thing I expected Valentine to do, but I never thought it would happen ten days into the season. I figured he wouldn't start messing it up until May but fair play to the guy, he's making the most of his one season as Red Sox manager.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by 1970cs View Post
    He can play his 'woe is me' act on Michael Kay's show, that will go over well in Boston.

I forgot about that. Yet another recipe for disaster.

NYYF Legend

He said he meant physically because he is banged up....and emotionally because he isnt throwing his helmet like he has in the past. Yeah, like people will believe that.
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Maybe that stuff works in Japan.""

How friggin great is this?

The only better scenario would be if Manny was still on the team

Can't imagine any possible rationale by which what Bobby did makes any sense
    Priceless. I couldn't ask for a better quote. This year may be more of a ................show than last year.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Priceless. I couldn't ask for a better quote. This year may be more of a ................show than last year.
    Fuller quote:

"Asked if he thought Valentine's comments could have been meant as a motivational tool, Pedroia didn't sound impressed.
    "Maybe in Japan or something," he said, referring to Valentine's stint as a manager there. "Over here in the U.S., we're on a three-game winning streak, we want to feel good and keep it rolling.
    "
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

This is awesome. The best is Edes said Valentine was called by his agent at 9:30pm last night when he was already in bed. Then he had all night to think of a better explanation then what he gave today? he was talking about his swing? give me a break..Backpedaling Bobby indeed...he's not very good at it lol..
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Funny thing is, I sold my two tickets to this game the other day. Completely blanked on it.
    My reaction would normally have been something along the lines of "you're not missing much, check the pitching matchup" but this is actually gearing into a nice little duel. Both starters looking very sharp early.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I expected the putz to start on the Yanks first, instead of his own team.

I know he had a few jabs at the Yanks but I guess I didn't realize how dumb he was to start on his own players.

Once tension mounts between the two of them a good brawl between Youk and B Valentine would be amusing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I expected the putz to start on the Yanks first, instead of his own team.

I know he had a few jabs at the Yanks but I guess I didn't realize how dumb he was to start on his own players.
    but he thinks he's a genius...

best part of Valentine -- his honesty
    worst part of Valentine - his honesty

i feel a little sorry for Cherington - even though i'm not a huge fan, he waits all this time to get the GM job and is forced to hire this clown...

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    This is awesome. The best is Edes said Valentine was called by his agent at 9:30pm last night when he was already in bed. Then he had all night to think of a better explanation then what he gave today? he was talking about his swing? give me a break..Backpedaling Bobby indeed...he's not very good at it lol..
    He kept saying "You know what I mean?"(or you know what I'm saying?) instead of answering questions. I wanted a reporter to just say, "No. Could you explain it a little more?"

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

best part of Valentine -- his honesty
    worst part of Valentine - his honesty
    I don't know about that, b-ball. I see him as contrived manipulator with an unhealthy, enormous ego.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...ing-commitment

BOSTON -- Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said he has apologized to third baseman Kevin Youkilis for comments he made Sunday, in which he questioned Youkilis' physical and emotional commitment.

Olney: Strange Timing in Boston

Bobby Valentine questioned Kevin Youkilis' intensity over the weekend and got rebuked by Dustin Pedroia for his comments. Considering Boston's recent success, the timing was odd, writes ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. Blog

Valentine, speaking before Boston's 11 a.m. ET Patriots Day game against Tampa Bay, said Youkilis approached him Monday morning. Valentine said he "totally apologized."
    "I don't know if he accepted my apology. It was sincere," he said. "The last thing in the world I would want him to think is that this was anything but an answer to a question that seemed like the question was jabbing at him. I was just trying to smooth it over. I guess I didn't."
    Valentine said he thought Youkilis had visited his office wanting to talk about his sore groin muscle, but instead brought up the comments. Youkilis was not in Monday's starting lineup, replaced at third by Nick Punto, but Valentine said he will use Youkilis as a pinch hitter if needed.

Earlier Monday, Youkilis told reporters he was "surprised" and "confused" by Valentine's comments, which were made Sunday before Boston's win over the Rays and aired Sunday on WHDH-TV's "SportsXTra."
    "I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason,'' Valentine said Sunday. "But [on Saturday] it seemed, you know, he's seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."
    On Monday, Valentine said his answer to the question on WHDH was misinterpreted, and that his answer should have been more specific to Youkilis' swing.

Evidently he both apologized to Youkalis and claimed he was misinterpreted. Sure blame it on the media when your comments make you look every bit the horse's *ss he is.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    He kept saying "You know what I mean?"(or you know what I'm saying?) instead of answering questions. I wanted a reporter to just say, "No. Could you explain it a little more?"
    it was such utter BS. i'm not sure if he is that dumb or wants us to believe that -- he was basing his comparison to "used to seeing him breaking helmets when i watched him on tv"..that's what he's basing his managerial analysis on? yikes...

i guess after pedroia's comments, there might not be as many of these:

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    The more he talks, the more his mouth starts to taste of rubber sole. I can't wait for the next losing streak. He'll come out and say that Pedroia doesn't dive enough in the field.

I guess the best thing we can say about Bobby V is that he stopped using that God-awful hair dye.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Okay, I'll admit it... Bobby V. has lasted longer as the manager of the Red Sox than I expected him to. I haven't seen a single preseason or regular season game yet, and by the looks of this thread, that was probably a good idea.

NYYF Triple Crown

Daniel Bard made it the 112th time since 1918 that a pitcher had at least 7 strikeouts and at least 7 walks in fewer than 7 innings.

How the hell did Bard manage to toss 110 pitches while walking seven. The Valentine era is great.

How often do managers get sacked mid contract? Is it as common as it is in football (soccer) or do they see out the contract before being replaced?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    How often do managers get sacked mid contract? Is it as common as it is in football (soccer) or do they see out the contract before being replaced?
    Oh, it happens. See the Yankees under Steinbrenner during the 70s and 80s.

Oh that sucks. Was hoping Valentine was going to be Red Sox manager for a while.I'll enjoy it whilst it lasts.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

He's such a horse's ass. If it were any other team but the Red Sox, I might actually feel bad for them.

But it's not.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Thread Information