+ Reply to Thread
Page 167 of 422 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 177 217 267 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 10544

Re: The Red Sox Thread

I didn't know that Bailey had to have surgery. I know, I shouldn't laugh.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    Both the Yankees and the Red Sox were reportedly interested in Oswalt, but by all accounts, he did not want to play for anyone other than St. Louis or Texas or Houston. I think the Red Sox believed that they had Bailey as closer, Melancon to set up, Aceves was tremendous out there last year, and they were hoping to find someone reliable amongst Albers, Bowden, etc. Whether or not that was the best approach, Bailey did not go down until just before Opening Day. So things have been in a state of flux. They need another arm (or two) in that bullpen, and Bard is either going back there, or they will be acquiring someone as fast as they can.
    The difference is when the Yankees didn't get Oswalt, they went out and signed other pitchers. And relying on Bailey to stay healthy is almost as optimistic as signing Nick Johnson and hoping he stays healthy.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The difference is when the Yankees didn't get Oswalt, they went out and signed other pitchers. And relying on Bailey to stay healthy is almost as optimistic as signing Nick Johnson and hoping he stays healthy.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Poor Nick Johnson. Dude makes JD Drew look like Cal Ripken Jr. out there.

or Eric Chavez
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    Both the Yankees and the Red Sox were reportedly interested in Oswalt, but by all accounts, he did not want to play for anyone other than St. Louis or Texas or Houston. I think the Red Sox believed that they had Bailey as closer, Melancon to set up, Aceves was tremendous out there last year, and they were hoping to find someone reliable amongst Albers, Bowden, etc. Whether or not that was the best approach, Bailey did not go down until just before Opening Day. So things have been in a state of flux. They need another arm (or two) in that bullpen, and Bard is either going back there, or they will be acquiring someone as fast as they can.
    As wishful as eating bad Mexican food and thinking you won't be crapping out your intestines for the next two days.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I wonder if their Carl is going to become like our old Carl (Pavano)...where he has all these minor things that keep happening to him -- almost afraid to go out there until he's 100%.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Addicted Member

Wouldn't be the end of the world
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Wouldn't be the end of the world
    good point.

this photo made me chuckle - it looks almost fake like they just photoshopped Ellsbury in there...it's like he refuses to turn around and look at him.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Why in the world is Dustin Pedroia streaking?!

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Why in the world is Dustin Pedroia streaking?!
    no wonder Ellsbury looks nonplussed -- he's waiting on another futile dusty dive.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    omg.

I like how Youkilis is watching intently:

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Lost in the bullpen implosion yesterday was that old friend Phil Coke threw one pitch behind Gonzalez and then hit him with the next one. Now most people would think the teams would be even considering Albers hit Prince Fielder the day before, but of course the Sox think they need retribution (bolding mine) ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/
    Coke and Leyland should have been ejected immediately, not warned.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Will they fire Bobby if they miss the playoffs again?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

I'm amazed that the Sox didn't do more to upgrade their rotation this past offseason. The stat-heads in the front office have to be expecting some semblance of regression from the group of Ellsbury, AGon, Pedroia and Ortiz. It's hard for a group of 4 MVP candidates to maintain such a high rate of success for two consecutive seasons.

Additionally, Josh Beckett last year posted an improbably low 2.89 ERA over 193 innings - something he is incredibly unlikely to do again.

Even if Lester improves a bit from 2011 and Crawford manages to come back from injury (which I hope for the sake of my billion fantasy teams that he does) and contribute closer to his 2010 level than last year's disastrous performance, the Sox really have not made any upgrades beyond moving Bard from their now very weak bullpen to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I'm amazed that the Sox didn't do more to upgrade their rotation this past offseason. The stat-heads in the front office have to be expecting some semblance of regression from the group of Ellsbury, AGon, Pedroia and Ortiz. It's hard for a group of 4 MVP candidates to maintain such a high rate of success for two consecutive seasons.

Additionally, Josh Beckett last year posted an improbably low 2.89 ERA over 193 innings - something he is incredibly unlikely to do again.

Even if Lester improves a bit from 2011 and Crawford manages to come back from injury (which I hope for the sake of my billion fantasy teams that he does) and contribute closer to his 2010 level than last year's disastrous performance, the Sox really have not made any upgrades beyond moving Bard from their now very weak bullpen to the rotation.
    I think it was Buster Olney who tweeted this but the tweet was "If John Henry was serious about contending, he shouldn't have spent $179 million on Manchester United and $7.4 million on the Red Sox".
    Life is good!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I think it was Buster Olney who tweeted this but the tweet was "If John Henry was serious about contending, he shouldn't have spent $179 million on Manchester United and $7.4 million on the Red Sox".
    For all that people gripe about the Yankees FO, the Red Sox have really hamstrung themselves with a meaningful percentage of their payroll going to Crawford and Lackey, and not having the pieces in the upper levels of their farm system to step in. They'll be decent this year, but they really don't have any depth.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    For all that people gripe about the Yankees FO, the Red Sox have really hamstrung themselves with a meaningful percentage of their payroll going to Crawford and Lackey, and not having the pieces in the upper levels of their farm system to step in. They'll be decent this year, but they really don't have any depth.
    Right now I think they are a contender but not necessarily a favorite for one of the two wild cards. But one big injury or one key player not performing to their abilities and I can see them missing the playoffs for a third straight year. Even with the second wild card.
    Life is good!

Even if Lester improves a bit from 2011 and Crawford manages to come back from injury (which I hope for the sake of my billion fantasy teams that he does)
    You have him on all billion? If had had TWO fbb teams, they wouldn't both have Crawford.
    Team Northern Lights

I love that John Henry cares more about soccer. Love it.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    You have him on all billion? If had had TWO fbb teams, they wouldn't both have Crawford.
    I do have him on a lot of my teams... Crawford was the #3 or #4 overall pick in 2011 measured by ADP. I understand that last year he was horrible, but before his injury this year there was every indication this season would be healthy.

My main draft philosophy is to get players who have had one bad year after having had many years of tremendous success. That's why the only player who appears more frequently on my teams than Crawford is Mr. Alex Rodriguez.

Even if Crawford "only" hit .290 with 15 HR and 35 SB, that makes him extremely valuable. If he went back to anywhere near his 2010 numbers - .307/19 HR/90 RBI/110 runs scored, 47 SB - he's an easy first round value all over again.

It seems my gamble didn't pay off with this guy. Now let's see about ARod!

I do have him on a lot of my teams... Crawford was the #3 or #4 overall pick in 2011 measured by ADP. I understand that last year he was horrible, but before his injury this year there was every indication this season would be healthy.

My main draft philosophy is to get players who have had one bad year after having had many years of tremendous success. That's why the only player who appears more frequently on my teams than Crawford is Mr. Alex Rodriguez.

Even if Crawford "only" hit .290 with 15 HR and 35 SB, that makes him extremely valuable. If he went back to anywhere near his 2010 numbers - .307/19 HR/90 RBI/110 runs scored, 47 SB - he's an easy first round value all over again.

It seems my gamble didn't pay off with this guy. Now let's see about ARod!
    I hear you on that (I play a six man keeper league every year), but Crawford's injury status would weigh too heavy for me than would just a bad year.
    Team Northern Lights

It was Liverpool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Thread Information