+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 410 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 126 166 216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 10239
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldGarcia View Post
    Reading this, it's pretty clear to me that pegging LL as being on the "business side" only is erroneous. He's both. Randy Levine may or may not be pure business side but LL has the skill set to be both.
    This article doesn't show us anything that isn't like the role Levine plays with the Yankees. Levine has also pushed for trades/signings (e.g., he was the mastermind behind acquiring Soriano), but it doesn't change that his background isn't in player development/assessment. Lucchino was originally a lawyer, did work with teams in that capacity, and then moved to senior management positions with teams before landing with the Sox. As team president, he of course he has input into decisions. As a Yankee fan, I'd much rather have someone with his backrground having more input in decisions.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This article doesn't show us anything that isn't like the role Levine plays with the Yankees. Levine has also pushed for trades/signings (e.g., he was the mastermind behind acquiring Soriano), but it doesn't change that his background isn't in player development/assessment. Lucchino was originally a lawyer, did work with teams in that capacity, and then moved to senior management positions with teams before landing with the Sox. As team president, he of course he has input into decisions. As a Yankee fan, I'd much rather have someone with his backrground having more input in decisions.
    I have no idea what Randy Levine does.

It just appears to me from what SnatchCatch posted that the neat division between business and baseball doesn't apply with Lucchino. I'm glad that Theo was on vacation when Larry pulled the trigger on the Hanley trade. As much as I like Hanley, no Beckett and Lowell, no 2007. Not saying that one trade proves the point but those pages say to me that Luchhino has some facility with both sides of the house.

It just appears to me from what SnatchCatch posted that the neat division between business and baseball doesn't apply. I'm glad that Theo was on vacation when Larry pulled the trigger on the Hanley trade. As much as I like Hanley, no Beckett and Lowell, no 2007. Not saying that one trade proves the point but those pages say to me that Luchhino has some facility with both sides of the house.
    In this regard, baseball really isn't unlike any other business. Presidents/CEOs of companies often are in the position to make decisions where they have no expertise -- and good leaders will pick good people to help them through those decisions. Just from that excerpt, it's telling both that Lucchino wanted to dump Theo, and that a key motivation for making the deal was to get the focus off the front office. I'll be thrilled if this guy has more input into baseball decisions, regardless of whether one trade he was involved in worked out.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

It just appears to me from what SnatchCatch posted that the neat division between business and baseball doesn't apply with Lucchino. I'm glad that Theo was on vacation when Larry pulled the trigger on the Hanley trade. As much as I like Hanley, no Beckett and Lowell, no 2007. Not saying that one trade proves the point but those pages say to me that Luchhino has some facility with both sides of the house.
    And no chicken-gate today with a manager and gm escaping Boston.

He's not in charge of the hair-styling!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

He has the hookup with the big boys around town.

Levine was instrumental in screwing the city ( and it's residents/taxpayers ) royally in the financing of the new stadium

Interesting that at the same time that Theo did his gorilla suit hissy fit because of his problems with Lucky's meddling Cashman's contract was up

Cashman chose the adult route- confronted the dysfunctional FO structure and meddling by the "Tampa mafia". The result was a restructured organization , rebuilding of the farm system and continued dominance. Despite blips ( the Arod and Soriano deals due in spite of his scepticism ) the stability has served the Yanks well

Theo's leaving seem to be a result of the unresolved power issues
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Levine was instrumental in screwing the city ( and it's residents/taxpayers ) royally in the financing of the new stadium

Interesting that at the same time that Theo did his gorilla suit hissy fit because of his problems with Lucky's meddling Cashman's contract was up

Cashman chose the adult route- confronted the dysfunctional FO structure and meddling by the "Tampa mafia". The result was a restructured organization , rebuilding of the farm system and continued dominance. Despite blips ( the Arod and Soriano deals due in spite of his scepticism ) the stability has served the Yanks well

Theo's leaving seem to be a result of the unresolved power issues
    I've thought about that recently as well. It's obvious that the Yankees don't always work perfectly (witness the Soriano contract), but there does seems to be a commitment to the organization that they've built. Despite some speculation on here, it's pretty obvious that both Cashman and the Yankees wanted to continue the relationship, and I think the Yankees are stronger for it.

How do you know that Hanley + Anibal wouldn't have been just as good in '07, and you would still have them now? (Anibal was terrific in '06, until Girardi ran his arm into the ground.)

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    How do you know that Hanley + Anibal wouldn't have been just as good in '07, and you would still have them now? (Anibal was terrific in '06, until Girardi ran his arm into the ground.)
    I don't. But the Sox won in 07 with Beckett and Lowell playing prominent roles. They were probably the two most valuable players in the playoffs, if not the regular season, also. As a result, I'd do that deal all day long, regardless of what Sanchez and Hanley would have done in 2007 and will do in the future. Bird in the hand, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    And no chicken-gate today with a manager and gm escaping Boston.
    So the chicken stuff and Theo and Tito leaving is all because of Larry Lucchino?

I'm surprised you didn't blame him for the economy, also!

I have no idea who deserves the blame between Larry and Theo. But my guess is that, like Theo said, they had a complicated relationship, and that both of them have good points and bad points.

I also suspect that each of Larry, Theo and Tito bears some responsibility for what happened with the Sox in 2011, and that neatly pinning the blame on any of them is incorrect.

So the chicken stuff and Theo and Tito leaving is all because of Larry Lucchino?

I'm surprised you didn't blame him for the economy, also!

I have no idea who deserves the blame between Larry and Theo. But my guess is that, like Theo said, they had a complicated relationship, and that both of them have good points and bad points.

I also suspect that each of Larry, Theo and Tito bears some responsibility for what happened with the Sox in 2011, and that neatly pinning the blame on any of them is incorrect.
    Where did I say it was all Lucchino's fault? Get a gripe as I was just making a joke about that team's problems this year.

Where did I say it was all Lucchino's fault? Get a gripe as I was just making a joke about that team's problems this year.
    Misunderstood. Peace. Many Red Sox fans are laying all the probs at LL's feet and it just seems too simple to me.

NYYF Legend

. Get a gripe ...

Sorry, I just couldn't let this pass without comment.. I'm guessing you meant "get a grip".... or were you thinking "what's his gripe?" ..... and then kind of combined the two!
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by smr15 View Post

Sorry, I just couldn't let this pass without comment.. I'm guessing you meant "get a grip".... or were you thinking "what's his gripe?" ..... and then kind of combined the two!
    It's great I entertained you with my typo.

NYYF Legend

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Sox fired their strength coach the other day and he's not happy...

Page said there were four players in particular -- one position player, one starting pitcher and two relievers -- whose fitness was deemed unsatisfactory at the end of the season.

"We got to the end of the year and we had four guys that we thought didn't make it to that part of the season where we hoped they would be," said Page, who declined to identify the players. "For the most part, most of all of everybody else stayed within range of where we wanted them to be."
    I'm guessing the starter is Beckett, Albers and Atchinson the relievers and I'm drawing a blank on the position player.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...age-team-ready

NYYF Legend

It's great I entertained you with my typo.
    Oh, come on....don't take my comment seriously! I was joking!
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Jim and Pam are movie geniuses mBiferi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Sox fired their strength coach the other day and he's not happy...

I'm guessing the starter is Beckett, Albers and Atchinson the relievers and I'm drawing a blank on the position player.

From the same link you posted:

Page would not identify the player, though he did tell WEEI it was not Josh Beckett, who has taken the most heat in the aftermath of the team's collapse and reports of lethargy, beer-drinking and fried-chicken eating in the clubhouse. He did reveal, however, that Beckett was concerned with his weight. By the end of the season, even fans had noticed the pitcher had put on pounds.
    Cuz I am... the Rain King!

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post

AGon immediately jumped into my head. Listened to a weekend show on EEI and one of the hosts said s/thing like "so we all agree the position player is AGon right?"
    Plays the game the wrong way.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    AGon immediately jumped into my head. Listened to a weekend show on EEI and one of the hosts said s/thing like "so we all agree the position player is AGon right?"
    To be fair to AGon, there were some night games on getaway days and a few Sunday Night Games. The guy was exhausted.

I believe they even had to fly to the West Coast on a number of occasions? How fair is that?
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    To be fair to AGon, there were some night games on getaway days and a few Sunday Night Games. The guy was exhausted.

I believe they even had to fly to the West Coast on a number of occasions? How fair is that?
    These getaway days and ESPN broadcasts are exhausting...they would drive any man nuts....I don't blame A-Gon if he is guilty of succumbing to an addiction of the Fried Chicken/Biscuits variety.

Looking at the brighter side though, the Red Sox should not have any night games on getaway days and Sunday Night Games now that they are a 3rd place team. I sure would not tune in to watch non contenders.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    These getaway days and ESPN broadcasts are exhausting...they would drive any man nuts....I don't blame A-Gon if he is guilty of succumbing to an addiction of the Fried Chicken/Biscuits variety.

Looking at the brighter side though, the Red Sox should not have any night games on getaway days and Sunday Night Games now that they are a 3rd place team. I sure would not tune in to watch non contenders.
    It's only been two years that they've been a 3rd place team.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    It's only been two years that they've been a 3rd place team.
    I guess A-Gon is doomed then....that poor poor soul
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    I guess A-Gon is doomed then....that poor poor soul
    He probably regrets not being traded to a contender. And then to sign that long term deal? Does he not have advisers?

Thread Information