+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 383 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 9568
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Beckett's been out of shape in the past. I remember we had a lot of fun on this site thanks to a photo of him throwing with his beer gut exposed.
    Wasn't that last year (Lackey's first season with Boston)?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't know how that will fly up here -- there's a lot of disenchantment with a bunch of the players.
    Eh, the wounds are still fresh. Get a microphone-savvy drill sergeant who speaks fluent dirtdog and we'll see how the world looks in January.

(Wally Backman kind of fits the prototype - tough guy who'll talk an endless stream of smack about the Yankees - they'd eat it up in Boston. Don't know if his personal issues and relative lack of experience would sink him, though. The Mets, with whom he actually has roots, passed him over.)

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    the Sox have no leverage in those negotiation with the Cubs.
    You wouldn't think so but whenever you get Selig and Lucchino in the same room my palms get a little sweaty. The Mariners got Randy Winn off a 120 OPS+ season for Lou Piniella. And that was just a field manager, not a guy who shapes organizations. I'm worried. (If the Red Sox get Starlin Castro out of this, I swear I'll ... no, no, mustn't give in to these paranoid thoughts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Wasn't that last year (Lackey's first season with Boston)?
    It was 2008, the year after they won it.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    You wouldn't think so but whenever you get Selig and Lucchino in the same room my palms get a little sweaty. The Mariners got Randy Winn off a 120 OPS+ season for Lou Piniella. And that was just a field manager, not a guy who shapes organizations. I'm worried. (If the Red Sox get Starlin Castro out of this, I swear I'll ... no, no, mustn't give in to these paranoid thoughts.)
    Baseball fans besides Red Sox ones would go nuts. Ain't happening!

NYYF Legend

Imply that an outgoing manager has a drug problem after decision to leave and likely looking for work. Stay classy, ownership. From SOSH
    http://twitter.com/#!/gehrig38/statu...66674197909505

Supposedly, the Sox prefer cash compensation to players in this deal.

NYYF Cy Young

Love the smear job on the entire team. The Red Sox ownership is officially a joke. At least the Boss embraced how ridiculous he was.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Supposedly, the Sox prefer cash compensation to players in this deal.
    That's hard to figure. If true stupid move by the sawx
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    That's hard to figure. If true stupid move by the sawx
    Unless they realized the Cubs weren't going to give them anything of substance. They probably should have tried to get the Cubs to take Lackey for signing Theo.

Still, that's the best outcome for Yankee fans.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Unless they realized the Cubs weren't going to give them anything of substance. They probably should have tried to get the Cubs to take Lackey for signing Theo.

Still, that's the best outcome for Yankee fans.
    W/ prospects being a crapshoot, there's always the chance they pick up a winning lottery ticket. What difference will the $$ make?
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    W/ prospects being a crapshoot, there's always the chance they pick up a winning lottery ticket. What difference will the $$ make?
    Maybe they prefer to have an open 40 man roster spot instead of clogging one up with a marginal prospect.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Maybe they prefer to have an open 40 man roster spot instead of clogging one up with a marginal prospect.
    Do we know that's all they can get though? Obviously my Castro thing was meant as Theater of the Absurd but as mentioned, the Mariners got a then-pretty-productive Randy Winn for Piniella, and if Shank is to be believed the A's asking price during the Beane-to-Boston negotiations in 2002 was Kevin Youkilis.

And the "leverage" thing some have brought up cuts both ways. Sure it would be awkward for the Sox to pull Epstein back at this point but the Cubs are under some pressure, too - they just got the most long-suffering fan base in sports all jazzed up that they have landed the Mighty Theo, Slayer of Curses. Think they want to have to go back to them and say, "Yeah, well, in the end we can't have Theo after all because we wouldn't give up a prospect most of you have never heard of. Looks like Joe Dildock will be our GM for the next several years. Ummm ... want to buy some season tickets?"

I think the Red Sox may actually hold a stronger hand here than some realize. I'll be thrilled if they fold it for cash.

Do we know that's all they can get though? Obviously my Castro thing was meant as Theater of the Absurd but as mentioned, the Mariners got a then-pretty-productive Randy Winn for Piniella, and if Shank is to be believed the A's asking price during the Beane-to-Boston negotiations in 2002 was Kevin Youkilis.

And the "leverage" thing some have brought up cuts both ways. Sure it would be awkward for the Sox to pull Epstein back at this point but the Cubs are under some pressure, too - they just got the most long-suffering fan base in sports all jazzed up that they have landed the Mighty Theo, Slayer of Curses. Think they want to have to go back to them and say, "Yeah, well, in the end we can't have Theo after all because we wouldn't give up a prospect most of you have never heard of. Looks like Joe Dildock will be our GM for the next several years. Ummm ... want to buy some season tickets?"

I think the Red Sox may actually hold a stronger hand here than some realize. I'll be thrilled if they fold it for cash.
    Sure, but the Cubs have other options -- the Sox really don't. If Theo comes back, it's clear that one of the teams leaders doesn't want to be there -- how can they have that as they navigate through this offseason and try to convince the team and players that they should care? Theo in a lameduck year with his eyes on other teams would be much worse for the Sox than not signing him would be to the Cubs.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Not sure what other options the Cubs have that would pacify their fans after getting this close on Theo, other than maybe Cashman, who is probably pie-in-the-sky at this point.

The Sox are admittedly in a sticky wicket about what to do with Theo, unless they somehow patched things up like after the gorilla-suit interregnum.

NYYF Legend

Do we know that's all they can get though?
    No clue what they can get.

Just my wild guess though, Selig isn't going to bend over backward to help a team that has had the 2nd or 3rd hghest payroll for like 5 years running like he might for a "small market team" if the Cubs were say trying to poach the Rays GM.
    Baseball is life;

Not sure what other options the Cubs have that would pacify their fans after getting this close on Theo, other than maybe Cashman, who is probably pie-in-the-sky at this point.

The Sox are admittedly in a sticky wicket about what to do with Theo, unless they somehow patched things up like after the gorilla-suit interregnum.
    I don't think Cubs fans are nearly as up in arms about their team right now as the Red Sox fans are.

I don't think Cubs fans are nearly as up in arms about their team right now as the Red Sox fans are.
    No but announcing you just landed Theo raises hopes. Best not to dash them.

Cubs fans don't get up in arms about much --- you see that book Scorecasting (something like that)...anyway, it showed that the Cubs were the only MLB team thats attendance isn't most directly related to w/l record... for the Cubs, their attendance is most directly correlated with the price of beer!

As a RS fan, I am extremely disappointed by this whole escapade. I wish whoever the team source was would get canned. The private stuff about Tito is unconscionable.

NYYF Legend

No but announcing you just landed Theo raises hopes. Best not to dash them.
    Cub fans are used to dashed hopes.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Fiber View Post
    Cubs fans don't get up in arms about much --- you see that book Scorecasting (something like that)...anyway, it showed that the Cubs were the only MLB team thats attendance isn't most directly related to w/l record... for the Cubs, their attendance is most directly correlated with the price of beer!

As a RS fan, I am extremely disappointed by this whole escapade. I wish whoever the team source was would get canned. The private stuff about Tito is unconscionable.
    Is there any doubt that it's LL?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Fiber View Post

Then you'll have to fire ownership because it's my opinion they're the ones that they either directly or indirectly leaked this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Cub fans are used to dashed hopes.
    Clever but their attendance has been edging down 3 straight years now (TV ratings too I believe). In a down economy this might not be a good time to kick them in the teeth again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Then you'll have to fire ownership because it's my opinion they're the ones that they either directly or indirectly leaked this information.
    I agree with teknetic that it is most likely LL (or, my slightly different version is that it's people around LL who know that he is OK with this and this is the backstabbing environment that he has fostered)... I wish the ownership group would make him step aside -- which even though LL is part of the ownership group, my guess is that the group as a whole still easily has the power to make him step down. Wishful thinking I know.

From Gordon Edes, one of Bostons' own...

Tito victim of latest Sox smear campaign

Ex-manager learning the hard way that no one gets out of Boston with reputation intact

BOSTON -- Terry Francona is paying a dear price for deviating, however briefly, from the script.

He was supposed to say the decision to end his eight-year run as Red Sox manager was all his, and leave it at that. Instead, he said that he wasn't sure ownership had his back, suggesting that the reason he walked out the door was because it was held wide open for him.
    Well, that obviously didn't sit well with some people in the highest reaches of Sox management, for now we are told in Wednesday's editions of the Boston Globe that not only did the Red Sox collapse in September, but that Francona's troubled marriage and his use of pain medication may have been contributing factors.

This is how it's done, Tito, Boston-style. No one ever escapes clean, regardless of what you might have accomplished here. (See Garciaparra, Nomar, 2004.)

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...smear-campaign
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Gammons weighed in as being 'sickened' by events as well. Quite a lot of media pushback. Good on Edes et al.

Thread Information