+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 411 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast

The Red Sox Thread

Now that the Community Standards are back online, we can re-start a discussion of the Red Sox. As per those Standards, any posting in this thread must be done in a civil manner. That means a genuine discussion without baiting, trolling, flaming or mocking using words or pictures etc. That doesn't mean you can't state your opinions of a player or the team, but do it in a respectful manner. Repeated warnings for those who don't comply will result in the loss of access to the Around the Majors Forum. This thread WILL be monitored more than other threads in Around the Majors for obvious reasons.
    Let the kids play.

Re: The Red Sox Thread (New and Improved)

fasten your seatbelts
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Well I got nothing.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Well I got nothing.
    You have been rendered useless.

NYYF Legend

Alright, I will play.....

The Sox rotation is on quite the roll. Good for them, it aggravates me. However, I say this fondly.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    fasten your seatbelts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Well I got nothing.
    Somebody will come along. I really don't pay much attention to other teams, but the Sox have climbed right back like most thought they would. It should be a good race with the Yanks/Sox/Rays....the others appear to have drifted towards their final destination.
    Let the kids play.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Alright, I will play.....

The Sox rotation is on quite the roll. Good for them, it aggravates me. However, I say this fondly.

Well Beckett and Lester would seem to be formidable, but Lackey is probably questionable and I don't have a clue about the other starters.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post

Well Beckett and Lester would seem to be formidable, but Lackey is probably questionable and I don't have a clue about the other starters.
    I think Matsuzaka has had a couple of strong games after that atrocity he threw earlier in the season but I haven't followed the Sox all that closely... and it would still drive me nuts if I had to watch him pitch every 5th day for the Yankees.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think Matsuzaka has had a couple of strong games after that atrocity he threw earlier in the season but I haven't followed the Sox all that closely... and it would still drive me nuts if I had to watch him pitch every 5th day for the Yankees.
    As a fan it just pleases me to see that this pitching staff is capable of putting together a stretch like they have on their west coast trip. Even if we can't expect performances like that from DiceK and Lackey on a consistent basis, it's good to see they still have it in the tank. But I fully agree with you re: Matsuzaka.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    As a fan it just pleases me to see that this pitching staff is capable of putting together a stretch like they have on their west coast trip. Even if we can't expect performances like that from DiceK and Lackey on a consistent basis, it's good to see they still have it in the tank. But I fully agree with you re: Matsuzaka.
    The law of averages told us that the Sox rotation would go on this run. They weren't going to have a 7+ ERA, nor will they have a .98 ERA.

Any particular reason why DiceK was so effective for his last 2 outings? I just took a look...basically a 1 and 2 hitter against the Angels and Jays.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    any particular reason why dicek was so effective for his last 2 outings? I just took a look...basically a 1 and 2 hitter against the angels and jays.
    gyro ball
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Any particular reason why DiceK was so effective for his last 2 outings? I just took a look...basically a 1 and 2 hitter against the Angels and Jays.
    Not an expert, but to me it looked like he simply found his command, and was doing it with all his pitches. Of course - he's put together short stretches of dominance before so let's see if he's found something or this is more of the up/down we've come to expect.

NYYF Cy Young

Not an expert, but to me it looked like he simply found his command, and was doing it with all his pitches. Of course - he's put together short stretches of dominance before so let's see if he's found something or this is more of the up/down we've come to expect.
    I like my son's explanation better. He said that he hopes that the space aliens don't return the real Dice-K. This morning he emailed me from Afghanistan (where he is working for an NGO), saying that, seeing as how the aliens now also have Beckett and Lackey, perhaps Theo should sign the aliens to a long term contract.

Speaking of my son being in Afghanistan, he watched one of the Red Sox/Angels games at 6:30 am in Afghanistan via an Indian ESPN feed while on a treadmill. Small world.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    gyro ball
    I know this comment was said in jest, but he had some wicked late movement on some of his pitches Saturday night. Haven't seen him throw like that in quite awhile. I hope he can keep it up.

NYYF Legend

If Saltamachhia and Varitek continue their present course, what are the sox options at catcher? Varitek finally got his slugging over .100 but he looks terrible at the plate.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    If Saltamachhia and Varitek continue their present course, what are the sox options at catcher? Varitek finally got his slugging over .100 but he looks terrible at the plate.
    Jon Lester for Montero. Make it happen, Cash.

I rarely post on here, typically I just read some posts to see what the general consensus is about the Yankees. I don't get to watch all of their games, but I can get a pretty good picture of who's going good and who's going bad through reading a couple posts. I am a Sox fan, and after watching DiceK and Lackey the past couple outings, I can only hope that they end up somewhere in the middle of their first 2 and most recent 2 starts. Somewhere around a 3.9-4.1 ERA for either of them would be very welcome.

I don't know if Beckett is going to be a 3.1-3.2 ERA guy, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up around 3.4 or 3.5 with 16-18 wins this year if he stays healthy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballFan07 View Post
    I rarely post on here, typically I just read some posts to see what the general consensus is about the Yankees. I don't get to watch all of their games, but I can get a pretty good picture of who's going good and who's going bad through reading a couple posts. I am a Sox fan, and after watching DiceK and Lackey the past couple outings, I can only hope that they end up somewhere in the middle of their first 2 and most recent 2 starts. Somewhere around a 3.9-4.1 ERA for either of them would be very welcome.

I don't know if Beckett is going to be a 3.1-3.2 ERA guy, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up around 3.4 or 3.5 with 16-18 wins this year if he stays healthy.
    You seem fair and balanced. Perhaps you should post more.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    You seem fair and balanced. Perhaps you should post more.
    Thanks. I may ease into it a bit more. This has seemed to be a pretty unbiased board when reading about the Sox. I know a lot of Yankee fans were trying to count the Sox out after the 2-10 start just because they were being homers, but all the posts I read in here seemed realistic, i.e. reason for concern but bounce back likely.

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballFan07 View Post
    Thanks. I may ease into it a bit more. This has seemed to be a pretty unbiased board when reading about the Sox. I know a lot of Yankee fans were trying to count the Sox out after the 2-10 start just because they were being homers, but all the posts I read in here seemed realistic, i.e. reason for concern but bounce back likely.
    From what I'd read/heard, more Sox fans were counting the Sox out than Yankee fans. Yankee fans were more just enjoying the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona1975 View Post
    From what I'd read/heard, more Sox fans were counting the Sox out than Yankee fans. Yankee fans were more just enjoying the show.
    I don't think anyone was counting them out. More like, try to forget about them for a week or two and hope to catch them on their way back up.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    You have been rendered useless.
    I prefer 'obsolete.'
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

i think they woke up when we played there 2 weeks ago..

Thread Information