+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 387 FirstFirst ... 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 9655
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: The Red Sox Thread (New and Improved)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Some games just feel like the whole crew is too busy imagining things to see them.
    Either that or thinking up creative excuses to explain their bad calls
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    It's not that unclear though - intending to put a ball in play = intending to swing which is what he was doing...if you froze it at that moment, it may or may not have been called a check swing at that point but he still intended to swing, not get out of the way because he thought he'd be hit...not sure i"m explaining this well enough.
    Nope, you explained it well enough. My uncertainty is around the language. I looked it up again and the rule about HBP reads:
    He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless

I guess i just don't like the words "attempting to hit."
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

The Red Sox traded for Conor Jackson and called up Felix Doubront.

NYYF Legend

The Red Sox traded for Conor Jackson and called up Felix Doubront.
    Jackson is a nice bench guy who can play a little bit of all 4 corners but he's not much more then depth. Decent September grab though.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Released Outright

He's an upgrade over Darnell McDonald.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    He's an upgrade over Darnell McDonald.
    who is also not much more then depth

It's kind of like the Yanks calling up Dickerson today. Sure it's nice to have another emergency OF and pinch runner but like I'm sure Sox fans feel about Conor Jackson, I hope Dickerson doesn't see too much actual playing time.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

PeteAbe Pete Abraham

Gonzalez: "That pitch was down, I should still be hitting. That's all I have to say." #RedSox

Not surprising that he thought so, look at where the pitches he did swing at were.

NYYF HOF

Yeah, he needs to stop complaining. He's been tremendous all season, but had a pretty poor series.

After 3 with the Rangers this weekend, we have nothing but AL East the rest of September. 6 with the Jays, 7 with the Rays, 7 with the Orioles, and 3 with the Yanks.

Not surprising that he thought so, look at where the pitches he did swing at were.
    It looked just to be a case of Gonzalez not having enough history against Rivera. The NYTimes or someone did a piece on what Rivera's cutter was and how the hitter's eye interprets it. If you're not used to it, it works the exact way it did on Gonzalez - you swing at pitches on your hands that appear over the plate, and take pitches on the outside edge that appeared outside.

I don't think it was much more than that. Not many lefties could do much of anything with that called strike three.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Aceves never should have been brought back out to start the 7th. His sixth inning consisted of two hard hit singles--one off the wall, a walk, a HBP, a hard hit groundout, and the double play from the the number nine hitter which saved his bacon. He was lucky to get out of that inning unscathed. He's been great for us all year, but he had no business starting the 7th. Bard and Papelbon should have been used to combine for the last three innings. Oh well.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14 View Post
    Aceves never should have been brought back out to start the 7th. His sixth inning consisted of two hard hit singles--one off the wall, a walk, a HBP, a hard hit groundout, and the double play from the the number nine hitter which saved his bacon. He was lucky to get out of that inning unscathed. He's been great for us all year, but he had no business starting the 7th. Bard and Papelbon should have been used to combine for the last three innings. Oh well.
    Good point. If Girardi had done something similar, he would have gotten killed on here.

That said, we all know Aceves is just a double agent, so the result wasn't surprising.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    PeteAbe Pete Abraham

Gonzalez: "That pitch was down, I should still be hitting. That's all I have to say." #RedSox

Is Gonzo drunk?

NYYF Cy Young

Gonzalez had a very Teixeira series.

NYYF Legend

Yikes..didn't expect Adrian to be like that but then again, I never expected Lester to complain about so many calls either.

From Abraham's twitter:

Three ABs for Montero and the Green Monster is still standing. How is that possible?
    I guess his fat @ss wasn't sitting up there.

I never expected Lester to complain about so many calls either.
    Lester adopted his Sox sense of entitlement long ago. He frequently complains. I've read quotes where other players echo this sentiment, Fuentes (I think) was one I remember recently.

But it will never be admitted. Saltilamaccia recently proved just how self unaware they are, with his comments about how they don't show others up.
    Team Northern Lights

I guess his fat @ss wasn't sitting up there.
    Send that to him.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Lester adopted his Sox sense of entitlement long ago. He frequently complains. I've read quotes where other players echo this sentiment, Fuentes (I think) was one I remember recently.

But it will never be admitted. Saltilamaccia recently proved just how self unaware they are, with his comments about how they don't show others up.
    do you mean others echo the sentiment about Lester? I know -- I should be more used to Lester doing it by now but it has been more and more it seems...

I laughed loudly at Salty's comment that they don't show anyone up..he was so busy backpedaling from the Latin comment, I'm not sure he knew what he was saying.

Send that to him.
    I don't have a twitter account - you send it.

do you mean others echo the sentiment about Lester? I know -- I should be more used to Lester doing it by now but it has been more and more it seems...
    I should have been more clear. No, I meant the complaints were about the sox in general, not specifically Lester. Although he does. All the time.

No twitter for me either.
    Team Northern Lights

swings at 3 balls, complains about strike. somebody get this guy some goggles
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Is Gonzo drunk?
    To be fair, it wasn't that obvious to me watching on TV that the pitch was a strike. When I saw the Fangraphs pitch tracker later, I was actually surprised that it wasn't even close.

oh boy i withdraw the andrew miller comment
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    oh boy i withdraw the andrew miller comment
    It's Ok. I just checked - your internet credit rating is unaffected.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Just because Lester has gotten a little more demonstrative when he feels he's being squeezed doesn't mean he's adopted some kind of attitude. It may just be a guy that's been in the league for a while now who feels more comfortable jawing with the ump a little bit. I don't think it makes him much different than a lot of other veteran pitchers.

It's Ok. I just checked - your internet credit rating is unaffected.
    good to know i was getting worried
    always reasonable

Thread Information