+ Reply to Thread
Page 217 of 422 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 227 267 317 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 10527

Re: The Red Sox Thread

I find it incredibly amusing they got rid of a "gritty, hardworking, franchise player" for pennies on the dollar. I actually respected Youk's abilities despite his crappy attitude but the nationwide slurpage he received was gut wrenching.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    This last scenario I'm kind of split on; I've been expecting a regression from Middlebrooks for a while and it just won't come. I'm still not totally convinced that he can keep this up, but the longer he does it the less I worry about it.
    Something would have to change. You can't hit for an average like that with strikeout and walk totals like that because it requires a .380 BABIP. Even if, by some bizarre course of events, he manages to keep that up all year, he's not going to be able to do it long-term.

NYYF HOF

He was an a-hole, but he was our a-hole. Sad to see him go.

Clearly, there were not any good offers out there for him. It would have been nice to keep him for some corner infield insurance, but I don't imagine he was happy with that role. And that role was not going to change. And I don't get the sense that he was going to be quiet about it.

Hopefully WMB keeps raking and Youk does well in CHI. He'll be back at Fenway next month and will get a huge ovation, I'm sure.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I agree with the bulk of your post, but the bolded part is way off. He's been bad for 2/5ths of a season, that's about it. He posted a 124 OPS+ last season; not elite, but damn good. It's definitely down from his peak years, and I don't disagree about the decline at all. He always seemed like the type that wasn't destined to age well, from his body type to the way he plays. I still think he'll probably bounce back (at least, bounce back to putting up OPS+ in the 115-130 range) next season, but I don't think he'll ever put up numbers close to his peak again.
    I agree abysmal is strong for last year but it was still a precipitous decline that combined with his abysmal play of 2012 makes it a risk, but a risk worth taking for Chicago. Not at the deadline or not, if they thought they were getting Kevin Youkalis as he was, he'd net a heck of a lot more than they got without having to eat 75% of the money as well.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Youkilis' decline was not just statistical. He has missed 1/3 of the Red Sox last 400 games. The Red Sox have no spot at first base for him, and he seems to not be able to play third regularly before some ailment forces him out of the lineup. It's been very sad and frustrating over the past few years.

As for pitching him inside, it seems to me that the pitch he has the most trouble with is the offspeed and curveballs over the outside corner.

I don't know what Middlebrooks is going to do, but he's been so much better than Youkilis both offensively and defensively this year that he just had to be given a regular spot. I would have preferred the Red Sox keep Youkilis instead of the paltry return they got and make him a reserve, but that seems like it would have caused more problems than it would have solved.

Playing everyday for the White Sox in that park, I think Youkilis will get his batting average up to the .270 mark and be a big improvement over what they have right now. I would be very surprised if he stays healthy, though, if he plays everyday for the remainder of the season.

I liked Youkilis and I am sorry to see him go. He played hard for the Red Sox and was part of the core of the team for a long time.

NYYF Triple Crown

I always like Youkilis as a hitter. Just the way he wears out the pitcher and fouls balls consistently.

Although not a sawx fan. With the new environment, and a clearer head I think he's going to bounce back.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Something would have to change. You can't hit for an average like that with strikeout and walk totals like that because it requires a .380 BABIP. Even if, by some bizarre course of events, he manages to keep that up all year, he's not going to be able to do it long-term.
    Yeah, definitely. When I said "keep it up" I meant in terms of overperforming for the course of the full season. Statistical anomalies like this hold up every year for a handful of players, so it's definitely possible that he will remain lucky just long enough to make the necessary adjustments to not end up being Shea Hillenbrand 2.0. Whether or not he can make those adjustments is another story entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I agree abysmal is strong for last year but it was still a precipitous decline that combined with his abysmal play of 2012 makes it a risk, but a risk worth taking for Chicago. Not at the deadline or not, if they thought they were getting Kevin Youkalis as he was, he'd net a heck of a lot more than they got without having to eat 75% of the money as well.
    It's definitely worth the risk for the ChiSox considering the garbage time players they gave up and how little of his contract they picked up. Even he keeps up this injured, ................ty performance for the rest of the season, it's not like they expended much in terms of personnel and money.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    As for pitching him inside, it seems to me that the pitch he has the most trouble with is the offspeed and curveballs over the outside corner.
    Depends on the pitcher and his approach. No batter likes changeups and breaking pitches on the outside black, especially when they're down in the count. Even in his prime, good sinker ball guys would could consistently get him out on pitches in at the knees, on the black. The only problem is that you have to hit your spot; he takes anything a hair off the plate and crushes anything middle-in.

This year you don't even have to have a heavy sinker or hard tailing two seamer, he's been rolling over just about everything in at the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I always like Youkilis as a hitter. Just the way he wears out the pitcher and fouls balls consistently.

Although not a sawx fan. With the new environment, and a clearer head I think he's going to bounce back.
    I get what you're saying, and there's something to be said for his past approach/results... but man I hated Youkilis something fierce as a player, probably irrationally. I hated him standing on the top step of the dugout practicing the puppet show with his bat, I couldn't stand the whining about the strike zone, I thoroughly enjoyed the smack down he got from Porcello, etc etc.

Youkilis and Papelbon were extremely easy to dislike.

The media onslaught begins........

Youkilis torments young boys:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hear...s-been-traded/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

My two thoughts had nothing to do with Youkilis:

1) Who knew Brent Lillibridge had any fans?

2) Why do parents do stuff like this to their kids?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

LOL.

On a related note, what on earth possesses parents to post these videos to the world? I remember I cried when the Yankees traded Ron Hassey - yes, Ron Hassey. Thank God my parents weren't idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    LOL.

On a related note, what on earth possesses parents to post these videos to the world? I remember I cried when the Yankees traded Ron Hassey - yes, Ron Hassey. Thank God my parents weren't idiots.
    Maybe they're hoping for the "bus monitor response"- a fund created to fund a trip to Boston to see his favorite player

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Marlon Byrd suspended 50 games for PED use.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

he's not on the sox anymore.. but it was pretty obvious starting in texas, when his head started getting wide, ala bonds
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

LOL.

Maybe your parents would have if Youtube had been available back then.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Marlon Byrd suspended 50 games for PED use.
    He should get a refund from Conte

NYYF Legend

LOL.

For some it's greed. They want the next "viral" (hate that phrase) video so they can attach youtube advertising and score some easy money. Personally, I find it rather sickening that a parent would do this sort of thing.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Haha, this is adorable. I can totally picture my nephew doing this after I finish telling him Barney isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Haha, this is adorable. I can totally picture my nephew doing this after I finish telling him Barney isn't real.
    OMG how about some spoiler tags there guy.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

LOL.

Or insane geniuses who had secretly invented the internet.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    OMG how about some spoiler tags there guy.
    OK then, don't watch this

warning- obscenities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52JWn...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    For some it's greed. They want the next "viral" (hate that phrase) video so they can attach youtube advertising and score some easy money. Personally, I find it rather sickening that a parent would do this sort of thing.
    People are weird.

Are the Blue Jays to the Red Sox what the Angels are to the Yankees?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

LOL.

Hey, Ron "Babe" Hassey was awesome that first half-season they had him - 13 HR in 298 PA.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information