+ Reply to Thread
Page 187 of 410 FirstFirst ... 87 137 177 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 197 237 287 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 10234

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Having over $300M in assets on the DL for TJS would be quite the feat. It's too bad Theo jumped ship.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Having over $300M in assets on the DL for TJS would be quite the feat. It's too bad Theo jumped ship.
    I was looking the other day and I think they have over $60 million from 2012 on the DL (rounded):

$20.3 crawford
    $15.9 lackey
    $10.3 matsuzaka
    $8.0 ellsbury
    $6.0 Jenks
    $3.9 Bailey

granted Dice-K should be back but yikes. I didn't realize that much went to Jenks either...

I was also surprised to see Iglesias makes over $2 million this year..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&output=html
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I doubt even Julio makes that much anymore.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

As bad as I could have imagined the beginning of the season going, it's been much worse. Of all the concerns, and there are multiple, the biggest one I have is that Valentine has no one, really no one to hand the ball to when the starter leaves that inspires any kind of confidence. Nobody in the eighth, and nobody in the ninth. That is not a good thing. Aceves is not a closer, and he is out of the role where he presents his greatest value.

If I'm Valentine, the message I am saying to the team right now is that the season has thus far been an unmitigated DISASTER, and somehow, the Red Sox are only 3.5 games behind every other team in the division, 3 in the loss column. Anaheim is already 7 behind in the loss column.

I would move Bard to closer, and promote Cook. If Cook can't get the job done, Matsuzaka is on rehab and will be with the club in less than 30 days. Where will they put him when he comes back if they don't take someone out of the rotation? Rich Hill should also be replacing Justin Thomas by this weekend. Slowly, some of these guys will be coming back, hopefully Crawford first if he elbow is not a bigger problem than the wrist, and then Ellsbury. Bailey won't be back until after the All-Star Break. Can Valentine get anything out of Matsuzaka? Who knows. Hopefully, no one else will get injured. Almost everything that could go wrong, has. And I agree with Valentine that there is a psychological aspect to this as well.

I'm not giving up yet at all. I expect the Red Sox to play better than this, despite the injuries and the roster construction. But if things don't improve, it will be interesting to see Middlebrooks and Iglesias with Pedroia and Gonzalez and that should be a pretty darn good fielding infield, and a view of the (supposed) future.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    As bad as I could have imagined the beginning of the season going, it's been much worse. Of all the concerns, and there are multiple, the biggest one I have is that Valentine has no one, really no one to hand the ball to when the starter leaves that inspires any kind of confidence. Nobody in the eighth, and nobody in the ninth. That is not a good thing. Aceves is not a closer, and he is out of the role where he presents his greatest value.

If I'm Valentine, the message I am saying to the team right now is that the season has thus far been an unmitigated DISASTER, and somehow, the Red Sox are only 3.5 games behind every other team in the division, 3 in the loss column. Anaheim is already 7 behind in the loss column.

I would move Bard to closer, and promote Cook. If Cook can't get the job done, Matsuzaka is on rehab and will be with the club in less than 30 days. Where will they put him when he comes back if they don't take someone out of the rotation? Rich Hill should also be replacing Justin Thomas by this weekend. Slowly, some of these guys will be coming back, hopefully Crawford first if he elbow is not a bigger problem than the wrist, and then Ellsbury. Bailey won't be back until after the All-Star Break. Can Valentine get anything out of Matsuzaka? Who knows. Hopefully, no one else will get injured. Almost everything that could go wrong, has. And I agree with Valentine that there is a psychological aspect to this as well.

I'm not giving up yet at all. I expect the Red Sox to play better than this, despite the injuries and the roster construction. But if things don't improve, it will be interesting to see Middlebrooks and Iglesias with Pedroia and Gonzalez and that should be a pretty darn good fielding infield, and a view of the (supposed) future.
    On the bright side-- 36.8 mpg!
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I am still puzzled that after last year, not only didn't they improve the team but they actually weakened it. Trade for an injury-prone closer. Trade away your starting SS. Trade for a relief pitcher the Yankees didn't want. Go in with 3 question marks in the rotation. RF, SS. C have holes. No bullpen. Like what John Heyman tweeted, if Boston was serious about competing, why spend $179 million on Liverpool Soccer and $7.4 million on the Sox? I think the only reason Boston is only 3 1/2 out is because no one had gotten off to a fast start.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&output=html
    So was Iglesias.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I doubt even Julio makes that much anymore.
    I wonder what he charges to come sing the National Anthem, or God Bless America.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

DiceK to the rescue

Yeah, that's a solid foundation for the future
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I am still puzzled that after last year, not only didn't they improve the team but they actually weakened it. Trade for an injury-prone closer. Trade away your starting SS. Trade for a relief pitcher the Yankees didn't want. Go in with 3 question marks in the rotation. RF, SS. C have holes. No bullpen. Like what John Heyman tweeted, if Boston was serious about competing, why spend $179 million on Liverpool Soccer and $7.4 million on the Sox? I think the only reason Boston is only 3 1/2 out is because no one had gotten off to a fast start.
    The Red Sox were attempting to stay under the luxury tax threshold. I don't know how you can say the Red Sox tried to weaken the team. The only player that really left from last year was Papelbon, unless you want to make a case that they should have tried to sign Eric Bedard. But let's start with the offense. You have 7 of 9 starters back from the team that let the majors in runs scored. Cody Ross for J.D. Drew is an upgrade, and Aviles for Scutaro should be an upgrade, too. Nobody knew that Crawford and Ellsbury would both go down. They also improved their bench over last year. Punto and Sweeney are an upgrade from what they had last year. Now to the pitching staff. The top three starters were the same. They got rid of Wakefield, Lackey, Miller, Matsuzaka, etc. and replaced them with Bard and Doubront. Once again, I think that's an upgrade. The biggest place that they are short is the bullpen. Bailey went down with an injury, and they lost Bard to the rotation. Again, losing Bailey for 4 months 2 days before the season starts is a tough blow. That's the place that they are clearly not as good as last year, and not very good overall. Again tonight, the bullpen is KILLING the Red Sox. They just have no one reliable out there. If they can get someone to stablilize the pen, I think it will stabilize the whole team.

I heard what I thought was an incredible stat. The Red Sox were 4-10 on the year, but had the lead 28 times in their first 14 games. How can you have the lead 28 times and only win 4 games? That's amazing, and that's how bad it's been this year for the Red Sox.

We will see if they can turn it around.

BTW, to the Yankee fans, tough break on Pineda and I mean that sincerely. I never like to see an injury to a young pitcher with so much potential and that is bad luck and I hope he recovers completely.

NYYF Legend

Right now, the most glaring weakness the Red Sox have is on full display. Buccholz leaves in the sixth. Scott Atchinson. Justin Thomas. Matt Albers to get out of the sixth. Vicente Padilla has the 7th. The 8th is Franklin Morales, and if the Red Sox don't blow the lead this inning, it will be Aceves in the 9th. This is like a gauntlet of unreliable relievers. And blowing lead after lead has a devestating psychological impact on the team. The Red Sox were ahead 7-1. This should not be a nail-biter. But it is.

NYYF Legend

And so, a nice 20 pitch save by Aceves, complete with loading the bases before he struck out Span. A couple of ground outs and a K, sandwiched around a walk, a base hit, and a HBP. Aceves ERA now down to 14.40. WHIP down to 2.60. Progress.

But seriously, Aceves is no closer, and the Red Sox must address this as soon as possible. Every time Aceves enters the game, the blood pressure of all fans goes way up, and stays there for a long time.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

These sound a whole lot like the same out of touch, short-sighted, and alarmist talking points that have been making their rounds in the sports media and on every Sox forum. The bullpen, minus Melancon and Bard, have put up a better ERA, WHIP, BB/9, K/9, and K/BB than the rotation. The only major area the starting staff has the bullpen beat is in H/9.

Now, both the SP and the RP have been very bad. No argument there. However, the SP has not only been worse, but they've been worse for a much larger portion of the season. They've surrendered over twice as many leads and 5 times as many ties. The larger problem, by far, is the starting staff. Taking a promising SP out of the rotation because you're panicking over some bullpen issues is not only bad long term, but it's bad right now, too.

The Red Sox were attempting to stay under the luxury tax threshold. I don't know how you can say the Red Sox tried to weaken the team. The only player that really left from last year was Papelbon, unless you want to make a case that they should have tried to sign Eric Bedard. But let's start with the offense. You have 7 of 9 starters back from the team that let the majors in runs scored. Cody Ross for J.D. Drew is an upgrade, and Aviles for Scutaro should be an upgrade, too. Nobody knew that Crawford and Ellsbury would both go down. They also improved their bench over last year. Punto and Sweeney are an upgrade from what they had last year. Now to the pitching staff. The top three starters were the same. They got rid of Wakefield, Lackey, Miller, Matsuzaka, etc. and replaced them with Bard and Doubront. Once again, I think that's an upgrade. The biggest place that they are short is the bullpen. Bailey went down with an injury, and they lost Bard to the rotation. Again, losing Bailey for 4 months 2 days before the season starts is a tough blow. That's the place that they are clearly not as good as last year, and not very good overall. Again tonight, the bullpen is KILLING the Red Sox. They just have no one reliable out there. If they can get someone to stablilize the pen, I think it will stabilize the whole team.

I heard what I thought was an incredible stat. The Red Sox were 4-10 on the year, but had the lead 28 times in their first 14 games. How can you have the lead 28 times and only win 4 games? That's amazing, and that's how bad it's been this year for the Red Sox.

We will see if they can turn it around.

BTW, to the Yankee fans, tough break on Pineda and I mean that sincerely. I never like to see an injury to a young pitcher with so much potential and that is bad luck and I hope he recovers completely.
    I didn't say they tried to weaken their team. I said they did weaken their team. Can you honestly say goling into this season ou felt they improved their team over last year? They went in with three huge question marks in their rotation. So far Doubrondt has done well and Bard mixed results but we will see. If staying under the luxury tax level is more important than filling holes, that is their choice. So far Aviles is an upgrade, but three weeks does not a season make. And to say Doubrondt and Bard is an "improvement" is both unknown and not saying much as the players they replaced are a collection of garbage. Things (despite almost again blowing a huge lead) look better, but I thought the same thing after they won the first 3 vs.TB and then proceeded to drop the next five. So far even Lester and Beckett (the lone two proven strengths in the rotation) have been inconsistent to bad, Buchholz has been terrible. The Yankee rotation has also been a problem, but not due to going in with insufficient pitching, now signing Pettitte has gone from excessive to a necessity proving that you can never have too much pitching. The Sox went in with not enough pitching. Crawford going down isn't much of a loss as he was horrible last year and Ellsbury has now been hurt two of the last three years after having one top season. The Sox bullpen (even with Bailey who is very injury-prone and his injury should be no surprise) is very poorly designed. No one should be surprised at their results so far. This is a very flawed team and no way is it even comparable to the team that started the 2011 season. I felt the 2-10 start last year was a fluke. This year I don't.
    Life is good!

You can't make this up. In preparing last night's lineup, Bobby V "scouted" the opposing pitcher (Hendricks) on his cell phone. He posted his lineup vs. left handers as he thought he was a lefty. Saltalamachia had to tell him Hendricks was a righty and he then sent out the right lineup. Boston doesn't have the ability to wait for Valentine to learn how to manage again.
    Life is good!

Buster Olney reporting Crawford to miss "significant" portion of season. Sounds like he got bad news from Dr. Andrews.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

You can't make this up. In preparing last night's lineup, Bobby V "scouted" the opposing pitcher (Hendricks) on his cell phone. He posted his lineup vs. left handers as he thought he was a lefty. Saltalamachia had to tell him Hendricks was a righty and he then sent out the right lineup. Boston doesn't have the ability to wait for Valentine to learn how to manage again.
    That is hysterical.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    These sound a whole lot like the same out of touch, short-sighted, and alarmist talking points that have been making their rounds in the sports media and on every Sox forum. The bullpen, minus Melancon and Bard, have put up a better ERA, WHIP, BB/9, K/9, and K/BB than the rotation. The only major area the starting staff has the bullpen beat is in H/9.

Now, both the SP and the RP have been very bad. No argument there. However, the SP has not only been worse, but they've been worse for a much larger portion of the season. They've surrendered over twice as many leads and 5 times as many ties. The larger problem, by far, is the starting staff. Taking a promising SP out of the rotation because you're panicking over some bullpen issues is not only bad long term, but it's bad right now, too.
    BC, I won't dispute that the starting staff has been awful through the first 17 games. But I think that where people are coming from is that at least the top three has a history of some success. Lester has been a legitmate at least #2 type starting pitcher who is still only 28 years old with 4 straight years averaging 200 IP and an ERA of about 3.30 in the AL East. Beckett has had plenty of success in the past, and Buchholz has shown that he can be very effective, when healthy. But the bullpen has not demonstrated a past history of success. Morales has never been a set up man. Aceves has never been a closer. Padilla, who pitched the 7th inning, hasn't been a reliever since 2001, and he's not really been a pitcher with a history of success anywhere. Atchinson, Albers, Thomas, and Tazawa round out the bullpen. I'm sorry, I think this is going to continue to cost the Red Sox games and I think Cherington has to do something to get some reliable arms out there somewhere. You can take a flyer on someone, or even a couple of guys in the bullpen, and most teams do. But the Red Sox entire bullpen right now is a flyer and I think it's the weakest part of the team.

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney reporting Crawford to miss "significant" portion of season. Sounds like he got bad news from Dr. Andrews.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Crawford does miss a lot of time, but I think Olney is casting an opinion and I don't think Crawford has actually gotten into see Andrews yet.

BC, I won't dispute that the starting staff has been awful through the first 17 games. But I think that where people are coming from is that at least the top three has a history of some success. Lester has been a legitmate at least #2 type starting pitcher who is still only 28 years old with 4 straight years averaging 200 IP and an ERA of about 3.30 in the AL East. Beckett has had plenty of success in the past, and Buchholz has shown that he can be very effective, when healthy. But the bullpen has not demonstrated a past history of success. Morales has never been a set up man. Aceves has never been a closer. Padilla, who pitched the 7th inning, hasn't been a reliever since 2001, and he's not really been a pitcher with a history of success anywhere. Atchinson, Albers, Thomas, and Tazawa round out the bullpen. I'm sorry, I think this is going to continue to cost the Red Sox games and I think Cherington has to do something to get some reliable arms out there somewhere. You can take a flyer on someone, or even a couple of guys in the bullpen, and most teams do. But the Red Sox entire bullpen right now is a flyer and I think it's the weakest part of the team.
    How long as Buchholz shown it though? And when healthy is the operative word, he looks anything but. The Sox went into 2012 with a razor thin pitching staff depth/quality wise. What has happened should not be a surprise to the team or the fans. Being surprised at Bailey being hurt would be like me saying I"m shocked Nick Johnson had an injury. Not only is their bullpen shaky, they went in with two proven starters and so far they've underperformed. I expect them to turn it around. The Sox hitting is not a problem, it's the pitching.
    Life is good!

Addicted Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Crawford does miss a lot of time, but I think Olney is casting an opinion and I don't think Crawford has actually gotten into see Andrews yet.
    1. Crawford missing the entire season would be a small plus for the RS. When (if?) Dreamy returns, the RS outfield is better without him. He's a sunk cost. No one will take him off our hands without us paying 90% of his salary. And if we need the spot on the 40-man roster bad enough, it might be worth it.

2. BV has had minimal, if any, impact on the RS this season. Their roster is significantly weaker than it has been since about 1992 (counting the injuries). Dissecting his hijinks is a diversion from the bigger picture, which is that the RS 'core', which used to have question marks only at 5th starter and 1-2 spots on the lineup, has, like the hole in the ozone layer, enlarged to 4-5 spots in the line-up and 3-4 starters. (Sorry, forgot to mention the entire bullpen). Maybe we can entice MR away from the Yankees with a 10 year contract that guarantees he'll eclipse Satchel Page's record.

3. The new CBA and "Theo's Legacy" have temporarily paralyzed the RS ability to improve. They would have spent more than 7.4 mil on the team this year if they could have. Free Will Middlebrooks!

NYYF Legend

How long as Buchholz shown it though? And when healthy is the operative word, he looks anything but. The Sox went into 2012 with a razor thin pitching staff depth/quality wise. What has happened should not be a surprise to the team or the fans. Being surprised at Bailey being hurt would be like me saying I"m shocked Nick Johnson had an injury. Not only is their bullpen shaky, they went in with two proven starters and so far they've underperformed. I expect them to turn it around. The Sox hitting is not a problem, it's the pitching.
    Buchholz was 17-7 in 2010 with an ERA of 2.33. He was 6-3 last year with an ERA of 3.48 and his injury wasn't to his arm, but to his back. I have no idea what he will do this year, but he's a 27 year old pitcher who has done very well for the AL East over the last 2 years when he's been in there. As far as Bailey is concerned, I think that his injury reputation is being overblown here. He has been in the majors for 3 years, and he's 27 years old. He has averaged 1 K per inning, and he's pitched in 68, 47 and 42 games over those years. He has a lifetime WHIP of .095 and a lifetime batting average against of .188. Yes, that was pitching in Oakland, but those are still nice stats. His injury was to his thumb after colliding with someone, again, not his arm. I think it's a little early to pronounce him the equivalent of Nick Johnson, and when your closer goes down 2 days before the season starts, it's a difficult hole to fill.

Buchholz was 17-7 in 2010 with an ERA of 2.33. He was 6-3 last year with an ERA of 3.48 and his injury wasn't to his arm, but to his back. I have no idea what he will do this year, but he's a 27 year old pitcher who has done very well for the AL East over the last 2 years when he's been in there. As far as Bailey is concerned, I think that his injury reputation is being overblown here. He has been in the majors for 3 years, and he's 27 years old. He has averaged 1 K per inning, and he's pitched in 68, 47 and 42 games over those years. He has a lifetime WHIP of .095 and a lifetime batting average against of .188. Yes, that was pitching in Oakland, but those are still nice stats. His injury was to his thumb after colliding with someone, again, not his arm. I think it's a little early to pronounce him the equivalent of Nick Johnson, and when your closer goes down 2 days before the season starts, it's a difficult hole to fill.
    Hughes had 18 wins in 2010 as well but it takes more than year plus to be a proven pitcher. Even if I grant you Buchholz which I don't. That would be three proven pitchers and no bullpen. Not a sound strategy for a team that hopes to contend. Bailey was healthy for one year, his rookie season. 47 and 42 games is not a lot of action for a closer.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

A friend has 4 tickets to the Sox game on Sat May 5th. I told her I'd see if I can find someone to take the tickets. They are good seats - she's had them for years.....PM me if interested and I'll get you the details on where they are (behind bullpen).

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    A friend has 4 tickets to the Sox game on Sat May 5th. I told her I'd see if I can find someone to take the tickets. They are good seats - she's had them for years.....PM me if interested and I'll get you the details on where they are (behind bullpen).
    Are they free?

Thread Information