+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 422 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 191 231 281 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 10544

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    Late in the game, after yet another pitching change and berating from the crowd, I almost started to feel sorry for Bobby.

Then I came to my senses.
    Yeah, the day where I feel sorry for the guy is never coming for me.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    Late in the game, after yet another pitching change and berating from the crowd, I almost started to feel sorry for Bobby.

Then I came to my senses.
    Funny, when he was managing the Mets, V never visited the mound. He used to have pitching coach Dave Wallace make all the visits, even the ones to change pitchers.

Wonder if he's tempted to go back to that.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Yeah, the day where I feel sorry for the guy is never coming for me.
    yeah, me either. he tries to suck you in with the quivering voice or sad sack face, but i ain't buying it.

from gordon edes twitter:

Pedroia, as he hurriedly dressed and left: I have nothing for you guys
    David Ortiz, on his way out the door: "It's [expletiuve] embarrassing. Put it down like that."
    i was really looking forward to playing tomorrow and hearing Tito in the booth after this debacle but it doesn't look like they will get the game in...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

“I mean, this is a psychological situation, right?” Valentine said. “Does last September have a toll? Does losing Ellsbury have a toll? You’ve got to be tough. I think we’re a tough team. We’ll find out.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...2.26774f7.html
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Devoted Member

Seems like Pete Abe was a little annoyed with the fans yesterday:

• The Red Sox allowed seven runs in the seventh inning and seven more in the eighth inning to blow a 9-1 lead. If ever there was a day to skip "Sweet Caroline," in favor of some decorum, this was it.

But the song played and on one of the most embarrassing days in franchise history, people sang, "So good! So good!" like they were drunk at a wedding.

It's only a song and if people want to sing, so be it. But let's forget about the notion that Fenway Park is a tough place to play and is full of hard-core fans. Because it's not any more. It's a place where people gleefully sing a cheesy song after their team blows a nine-run lead.

Nobody is singing when they home team is getting embarrassed at Yankee Stadium or Citizens Bank Park. Bruins fans weren't singing at the Garden Saturday. Either winning really matters or it doesn't. If it does, put the silly song on the shelf during games like this.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...x_at_a_lo.html

NYYF MVP

The most telling part from the PeteAbe piece in my opinion was this...

By the time reporters arrived at the clubhouse, only a few players were remaining.

"Not talking today," David Ortiz said. Cody Ross also walked away. Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez made hasty exits. It was scene reminiscent of last September's carnage.

Mike Aviles showed a lot of character, controlling his anger long enough to speak for his absent teammates. He also was candid.
    That would never happen with the Yankees.

Could you imagine Jeter, Swisher, Teixeira, Cano, Sabathia, A-Rod, Granderson etc.... doing that after a bad loss?

More on Bobby V the loose cannon. Please extend his contract:

...and this doesn’t include the near player revolt he had on his hands the very first week of spring training when, the Daily News has learned, he got all over shortstop Mike Aviles in what sources described as “a very ugly scene” during infield drills. After a group of Red Sox players confronted him with outrage, Valentine had to apologize to Aviles.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1065385

I feel bad for Bobby V only because he's getting blamed for stuff that's largely out of his control. It's not his fault that there's no one in his bullpen that can get a couple of outs.

I'm dredging up (recent) past here, but the comments from Pedroia the other day were telling. When he said (paraphrasing) that Bobby (referencing Valentine by first name only) would "learn" and that maybe that sort of thing worked in Japan, it was a clear indication that Pedroia and the rest of the team still believe that they run the team, not Valentine. It was an indication that Valentine either lost their respect or never had it. It was also an indication that Pedroia believes that the "way things work" in Boston isn't the manager's way, but rather the players' way - that Bobby's way wasn't going to be their way.

Quote Originally Posted by TierReservedCreature View Post

As somebody who lives in (mostly) Red Sox country, Red Sox fans suck, for the most part. It becomes a real trendy thing when the team is playing well and all of a sudden everybody loves them, and it's a minority who live and die with it. "Pink hats" is a legitimate stereotype, and granted we all know there's trendy Yankee fans, but it's not even comparable. So many purported Sox fans just tune out completely when the team is down, but will be first in line to play Sweet Caroline or Dirty Water on the jukebox when the team is winning

A lot of Sox fans have defeatist attitudes, but then again, I guess you can't blame them

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I'm dredging up (recent) past here, but the comments from Pedroia the other day were telling. When he said (paraphrasing) that Bobby (referencing Valentine by first name only) would "learn" and that maybe that sort of thing worked in Japan, it was a clear indication that Pedroia and the rest of the team still believe that they run the team, not Valentine. It was an indication that Valentine either lost their respect or never had it. It was also an indication that Pedroia believes that the "way things work" in Boston isn't the manager's way, but rather the players' way - that Bobby's way wasn't going to be their way.
    Or, V's actions are so stupid and beyond anything rational for a manager or human being that players are essentially forced to react.

His calling out of Youkilis made no sense on any level

It's like a child trapped with abusive parents- should they just accept their lot and not complain?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF HOF

Next time these teams meet, it's going to be a beanball war. Especially if Joshie Meltdown is on the mound..
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

NYYF Legend

I'm not a fan of firing managers just because you have to blame someone. But man, this is bad. I thought the Valentine hiring was a bad idea, and the Red Sox agreed. He was their fourth choice or something like that. The two final candidates were Gene Lamont (a real laid back guy) and Bobby Valentine (just the opposite). Those two are very different, it shows the Red Sox had no clue what they wanted.

The Red Sox needed a manager who was going to come in and just somewhat follow protocol and let the team manage itself. Bobby would be more suited for a young team looking for an identity.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

ok, now that is funny - esp coming from Pete. I think he's hurt. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Or, V's actions are so stupid and beyond anything rational for a manager or human being that players are essentially forced to react.

His calling out of Youkilis made no sense on any level

It's like a child trapped with abusive parents- should they just accept their lot and not complain?
    I was only commenting on the fact that Pedroia's comments illustrate just how little respect Valentine has from the players, but... What you're suggesting is that two wrongs make a right - that it was okay for Pedroia to call out Valentine because Valentine called out Youkilis. Pedroia could have shown maturity and leadership by saying that the issues will be worked out internally behind closed doors... take the high road. He disliked Valentine's comments to the media, but yet he sunk to Valentine's level by calling out his manager (his BOSS) in a public forum. If he had an issue with the professionalism of his boss, he should have taken that issue to either Valentine, the GM, the ownership, or the rest of the team, not the media.

Also, you lost me when you compared it to an abused child. These are millionaires being paid millions of dollars to do what their manager tells them to do. The manager making a mildly scathing remark about a player's commitment may not be "right" (nor does it seem like a thing that would help the team in any way) but it's not even remotely akin to someone being physically or emotionally abused. Youkilis and Pedroia weren't backed into a corner and smacked around by Valentine. Valentine simply speculated that Youkilis' commitment/drive might not be where it was in the past. Stupid? Yes. Abuse? No. Nor was it something that necessitated a public reaction from Pedroia. If Pedroia is so adamant that "how they do things in Boston" is to take it behind closed doors, then don't be a hypocrite - lead by example and take it behind closed doors yourself.

Bottom line is that both Valentine and Pedroia acted like clowns in this whole affair. Bobby started it, but Dustin fanned the flames rather than trying to cool the situation down like a veteran leader should have. They both screwed up, and in that process, revealed just how little respect Valentine has in that clubhouse (right now).

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I thought it sounded like Yankee Stadium when Jeter scored the 10th run.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    yeah, me either. he tries to suck you in with the quivering voice or sad sack face, but i ain't buying it.

from gordon edes twitter:

i was really looking forward to playing tomorrow and hearing Tito in the booth after this debacle but it doesn't look like they will get the game in...
    Weather in Boston is rain right now becoming steadier during the day and heavy rain tonight with a low temperature of 42 degrees.

It sounds like Boston will get a day off to lick their wounds but I would have loved to hear Francona's assessment as he struggled to hold back the chuckles.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

A local TV station did a question and answer online and several Sox fans started whining about the Yankees buying the wins. I guess that means the Red Sox are buying losses.
    Life is good!

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    A local TV station did a question and answer online and several Sox fans started whining about the Yankees buying the wins. I guess that means the Red Sox are buying losses.
    They are buying wins, they just aren't getting the same price.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by cupcollector99 View Post
    Next time these teams meet, it's going to be a beanball war. Especially if Joshie Meltdown is on the mound..
    That would be tonight.

NYYF Cy Young

Came here to say i was nearly feeling sorry for Valentine...read some of the thread, and now I'm cured!!

Thanks!!

Hate the guy, but he's on the money here. It's a shame, because although I've often found Sox fans lacking in tact and a bit fair-weathered (the last two games aren't exceptional in the fact it sounded like a morgue when the Sox were losing), I could always appreciate their intensity and their love for their team. If I was at a Yankees-Red Sox game where my 4-9 team just blew a 9 run lead, I'd be throwing myself off the upper deck, not drunkenly belting out Sweet Caroline.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Legend

When the Yankees DFA Eppley, do you think the Sox will look at him as an option to close?

NYYF Legend

Tito curse is on........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

I'm a little behind due to some travelling. Have just rewatched the toast from Friday. It was quite possibly the worst public speaking event I've ever seen. Those incharge at Fenway must be fuming. The whole event seemed poorly put together and a little shoddy (this could be inaccurate as I wasn't there - maybe it was classier in person). What Millar and, to a lesser extent, Pedro did was prove what many have thought for sometime: they have a severe inferiority complex and are unable to deal with it despite some great levellers in recent years. If I had anything to do with the Boston Red Sox on Friday, I'd have been completely ashamed of what occurred during, what was suppose to be, a celebration of their baseball home and history.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information