+ Reply to Thread
Page 174 of 383 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 184 224 274 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 9568

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Just watched the 1st 3 innings, but Bard's slider was lethal

Sat around 92-3 but was able to dial it up.

I guess the big question remaining is how many innings can they get from him as a starter this year?
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

NYYF MVP

NYYF MVP

brooks.gif

I chuckled when I saw this.

Bard clearly had nothing left- he should have been lifted before he loaded the bases
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Bobby V is truly a clown. After all of his comments about his own team, constantly getting booed by Bostonians, spring training jabs at teams and his inability to conduct a local interview without getting all heated... he cant even manage a game. Bard clearly should not have remained in there to face Longoria, he was gassed.

So far, id have to say i was loving the Bobby V era
    Phil Hughes is a starter!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Bard clearly had nothing left- he should have been lifted before he loaded the bases

Maybe so, but no matter how you slice it, you can't win if you don't score a run. The Sox batters just looked as if they weren't physically or emotionally into the game.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Maybe so, but no matter how you slice it, you can't win if you don't score a run. The Sox batters just looked as if they weren't physically or emotionally into the game.
    I demand you apologize for saying that in the weirdest, most roundabout way possible.
    “You don’t want to sleep a waking dog.” - Joba Chamberlain

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by montyque View Post
    I demand you apologize for saying that in the weirdest, most roundabout way possible.
    It was nothing personal and hope you don't take it that way. I hope you can accept my apology. I mean, Jesus, the last thing I would want to do is criticize the Red Sox..................
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Cherington had to step in and mediate the dispute, I love his comments at the end about Bobby V learning from this...

Cherington wound up mediating the dispute.

“I think as with many things in baseball and life, the more you get a chance to talk about it and understand what people mean were and how they perceived something, that’s what allows you to get past it. Kevin and Bobby spoke. I spoke to Bobby, I spoke to Kevin. What needed to be said has been said and we’ll move forward,” Cherington said.

The GM said repeatedly after speaking to Valentine he felt the quote didn’t reflect what he was trying to say.

“I was surprised to see the quote. I didn’t see the interview live, but I had it in that context. I was surprised because that’s not something Bobby had expressed to me. And we’ve all seen Kevin play for a long time and never wondered why he wasn’t into the game. He plays hard every day. That’s why it’s important to talk about it. I understood better what happened and we were able to talk through it,” Cherington said.

Asked what he thought Valentine was trying to say, Cherington explained “[Valentine] hadn’t seen the same player on the field that we have all seen in the past. So he acknowledged that first of all, and said it was not the best way to express it. He told the same thing to Kevin and apologized. He had a chance to explain what he meant. I think we’ll all learn from it and handle it differently next time.”
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...all#readerComm

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Cherington had to step in and mediate the dispute, I love his comments at the end about Bobby V learning from this...

Cherington wound up mediating the dispute.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...all#readerComm
    All kidding aside, I think you MIGHT be able to explain away the physical part of the comment. As if he's not physically into the game due to an injury, soreness, etc. Bobby V. could state he didn't finish the thought, but that's what his intention was. At worst the implication could be he's not prepared to play due to poor conditioning.

When you bring in the emotional aspect, it's very difficult to just explain away. As the manager, he should be in tune with his players. When you openly discuss a players emotional state, perceived or reality, you are getting into an area that the fans and media have little real information to go by. It's also bordering on privileged information and Bobby probably did violate some trust on the team.

Cherington has just handed BV a long ladder to assist him out of the hole he dug himself into. The Red Sox have decided to install a permanent pulley system for the rest of the season.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Cherington has just handed BV a long ladder to assist him out of the hole he dug himself into. The Red Sox have decided to install a permanent pulley system for the rest of the season.

But I have a feeling that if the pulley is used too often, the Sox will just utilize the eject button.

NYYF Legend

While i think the pitches to Ross were bad in the 9th, this is not good for him to say, nor for Gonzalez:

"It's tough because I'm up there battling my butt off, trying to get something going right there in a late situation," Ross said. "For me, it's unacceptable. I'm bearing down, our whole team is bearing down. Everybody on the field should be bearing down.

"We've been playing this game for so long that you recognize pitches early, and you see them out of the hand and you say, 'that's a ball' and it crosses wherever, and it's [called] a strike. So, I've taught myself over the years to take those pitches and not expand my strike zone, make him make a mistake and he didn't make a mistake. As soon as it comes out of his hand, I'm in shutdown mode. What are you going to do? Just move on and get them tomorrow."
    he acts like he can recognize every pitch that's a ball correctly.

Ross was frustrated - in part - because he said there's no accountabilitiy from the umpires.

"It's tough," Ross said. "That's the crazy thing about this game. If I'm going up there and I'm striking out every at-bat, I'm going to get benched. But it's not that way with them. They can make bad calls all day and they're not going to be held accountable for it. It's such a tough situation, believe me. I've umpired before, it's tough, it's hard. But at this level, you have to bear down. "
    Adrian Gonzalez, who grounded out for the second out of the ninth, went even further in his criticism of Vanover.

"Those pitches that were called on Cody, that's just not right. They're in the left-handed hitter's box and the way I see it, we missed the playoffs by one game last year, and if he walks there how he should have, Sweeney gets a hit and we wind up winning, it could make a difference. Those three pitches to Cody, that shouldn't happen."
    how does he know Sweeney would get a hit? yikes....

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...t-unacceptable

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Ken Rosenthal had a funny tweet today. "I have to question if Bobby V is emotionally and physically into managing after leaving Bard in to face Longoria".
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    While i think the pitches to Ross were bad in the 9th, this is not good for him to say, nor for Gonzalez:

he acts like he can recognize every pitch that's a ball correctly.

how does he know Sweeney would get a hit? yikes....

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...t-unacceptable
    Who was it that said "Failure is not a single cataclysmic event, but an accumulation of results caused bad judgement"

......or something like that. They didn't score a single run....

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal had a funny tweet today. "I have to question if Bobby V is emotionally and physically into managing after leaving Bard in to face Longoria".

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    that's funny..i didn't know Rosenthal had it in him.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Me either. It's been kind of a sad day but at least I got a few chuckles at the horse's ass Bobby V's expense.

Kev is hoping the Sox don't even keep him for the year. Many Sox fans I know can't stand the guy already. lol

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    That was annoying as ................. If I had been more emotionally invested in that game I would have been ................ing infuriated.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    FWIW, he seemed to be having trouble keeping his FB down even while he was doing well and that's part of what led to those early walks. You're right that he was clearly gassed and needed to be lifted, though. Pretty good results, but a better lineup might have made Bard pay for so many belt high and up fastballs.

While that line was funny, he's still an enormous doosh.
    I'll forever wonder how he got the job on TV - he'll need to take 5 or 6 steps up to get to horrible!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    The more he talks, the more his mouth starts to taste of rubber sole. I can't wait for the next losing streak. He'll come out and say that Pedroia doesn't dive enough in the field.
    Apparently he is more inclined to say it during a winning streak.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I think Bobby should use Melancon more:

today it was 6 earned runs without retiring a single batter. He's been unimaginably bad this year.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post

today it was 6 earned runs without retiring a single batter. He's been unimaginably bad this year.
    According to the baseball-reference Play Index, Melancon was the first player since 1918 to allow at least 6 earned runs and at least 3 home runs in 0 innings.

Eight Texas hitters had at least 3 total bases. Going back to 1918 there have been only 11 games where nine or more teammates had at least 3 total bases (I don't how many times eight teammates did it). Tonight was also the sixth time since 1918 (and first time allowed by the Red Sox) that a team allowed at least 18 runs, at least 21 hits, at least 6 home runs, and at least 8 walks.

NYYF Legend

Saw it on Twitter: I'm sure if Youkilis played a little harder the Red Sox would lose by single digits.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post

49.50 ERA. Very impressive indeed.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information