+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 422 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Re: The Red Sox Thread (New and Improved)

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I think the Sox can and should be able to do a LOT better than Aceves and Wakefield in a rotation if the two guys are out. Aceves hasn't fared well since he first came up (and the league hadn't seen him) as a starter, and Wakefield is simply toast. As a Yankee fan, I'd love the Sox to ride these guys for a little.
    What are you basing this on? Very stale and small sample size (started 4 games in '08 and 1 in '09) and those results were actually pretty darn good. In the minors he's been starting almost exclusively since '05 with good results (outside of some of his more recent rehab work). He'd also been doing some long relief over the last few years, in which you have to go through the order and be economical... what am I missing? Aceves may be a pretty darn effective starter for them if he can log enough innings by staying healthy and going relatively deep into games. If I'm Theo I'm giving him a short before I make a move that will require resources to get "a LOT better".

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    What are you basing this on? Very stale and small sample size (started 4 games in '08 and 1 in '09) and those results were actually pretty darn good. In the minors he's been starting almost exclusively since '05 with good results (outside of some of his more recent rehab work). He'd also been doing some long relief over the last few years, in which you have to go through the order and be economical... what am I missing? Aceves may be a pretty darn effective starter for them if he can log enough innings by staying healthy and going relatively deep into games. If I'm Theo I'm giving him a short before I make a move that will require resources to get "a LOT better".
    I'm basing it on what I said...he hasn't fared well as a starter since his first three starts- which were fantastic. In his fourth start he got hammered and in his fifth start he got hammered. His numbers get worse in his second time around the lineup, and his stuff is very typical of exactly that type of pitcher- nothing plus except for occasionally command, around the plate, etc.

I like Aceves a lot as a middle innings reliever, but outside of doing what millions of pitchers do the first time they come up (throw a few nice games before anyone has seen them), he hasn't ever proven he can effectively start in the major leagues.

I'm basing it on what I said...he hasn't fared well as a starter since his first three starts- which were fantastic. In his fourth start he got hammered and in his fifth start he got hammered. His numbers get worse in his second time around the lineup, and his stuff is very typical of exactly that type of pitcher- nothing plus except for occasionally command, around the plate, etc.

I like Aceves a lot as a middle innings reliever, but outside of doing what millions of pitchers do the first time they come up (throw a few nice games before anyone has seen them), he hasn't ever proven he can effectively start in the major leagues.
    Sure he hasn't proven it, but he hasn't disproven it either. He's been effective overall, and I think the Sox should give him a few starts before chipping into their roster or depleting an already thin farm to try and acquire an upgrade.

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

The rainout last night helps the situation as Doubront is ready to come off the DL. I would expect his next start in Pawtucket to line-up so that he can make the start that either Wake or Aceves would be making
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

Sure he hasn't proven it, but he hasn't disproven it either. He's been effective overall, and I think the Sox should give him a few starts before chipping into their roster or depleting an already thin farm to try and acquire an upgrade.
    Not disagreeing. I don't think he'll be horrible. But as a Yankee fan, I don't like his chances of being successful. He has recent injury history that is not good, he has what scouts believe is a repertoire suited for the pen, etc.

Not disagreeing. I don't think he'll be horrible. But as a Yankee fan, I don't like his chances of being successful. He has recent injury history that is not good, he has what scouts believe is a repertoire suited for the pen, etc.
    It will be interesting to watch what they choose to do and the outcome. But I think Wake is TOAST and I'd give Aceves a shot before handing the ball to Timmy or making a major acquisition this early in the season.

NYYF Triple Crown

It will be interesting to watch what they choose to do and the outcome. But I think Wake is TOAST and I'd give Aceves a shot before handing the ball to Timmy or making a major acquisition this early in the season.
    If anyone is making a major acquisition for a pitcher it will be the Yankees.

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    If anyone is making a major acquisition for a pitcher it will be the Yankees.
    Yeah, esp. when you look at it as either Bos or NY making a big pitching acquisition. The red Sox cleaned the cupboard of their best near MLB ready talent in the Gonzalez trade.
    As much as I like Kalish, he's not netting a big fish on the trade market. Now, if you are talking about trading for (essentially) a #3 starter or something, I think the Red Sox have the chips to make such a move.
    edit:... and wouldn't hesitate to do so.
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget View Post
    Yeah, esp. when you look at it as either Bos or NY making a big pitching acquisition. The red Sox cleaned the cupboard of their best near MLB ready talent in the Gonzalez trade.
    As much as I like Kalish, he's not netting a big fish on the trade market. Now, if you are talking about trading for (essentially) a #3 starter or something, I think the Red Sox have the chips to make such a move
    Isn't a number 3 starter all they need really? I mean so far Beckett and Lester have been doing quite good.

For us if things don't start working out soon we're gonna need to do one or two things. Call up Buenelos early and make him a number 2 pitcher and Burnett number 3 or trade for a number 2 pitcher. My suggestion if you guys want a number 2 pitcher then Man-Bam might be our best bet because we do have enough prospects for a number 2. But that would probably mean Manny would have to be in the deal. Here's the way I see it we should call him up early and shift Burnett to number 3. And then we trade for a number 4 or number 5 pitcher. I really think Banuelos is ready now.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

With Lackey and Matsuzaka both out, I think they have to hand the ball to each, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget View Post
    As much as I like Kalish, he's not netting a big fish on the trade market. Now, if you are talking about trading for (essentially) a #3 starter or something, I think the Red Sox have the chips to make such a move.
    edit:... and wouldn't hesitate to do so.
    i dont see the sox making any major league trades. lackeys dl stint seems to be a short one for mental reasons for a breather. daisukes elbow issue seems to be more serious and may warrant an extended dl stint, but i think the sox currently have arms to take his spot. i wonder if theyd give andrew miller a promotion. he's pitching well outside of the high walk totals.
    Quote Originally Posted by President Kennedy
    Someone once said a man can measure his value by the worth of his enemies. Considering the people who hate me in this thread, I really am a DB.

NYYF Legend

I don't feel like looking it up now, but the Sox record in games Wakefield started last year was abysmal. As bad as Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K pitched last year, the Sox still managed a respectable record in those games, but they really stunk it up in Wake's starts.

I think it wouldn't hurt the Sox to start kicking the tires on some league average pitching that might be available.

NYYF HOF

seems like the same boring thread too me....
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

I can just imagine Francona's teeth grinding. They bring Bard in to pitch the 8th, he warms up, throws one pitch, and then the ump decides on a rain delay.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
    I can just imagine Francona's teeth grinding. They bring Bard in to pitch the 8th, he warms up, throws one pitch, and then the ump decides on a rain delay.
    Seriously, how much harder can it be raining now than it was 1 pitch ago, when it was obviously already pouring?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    Isn't a number 3 starter all they need really? I mean so far Beckett and Lester have been doing quite good.

For us if things don't start working out soon we're gonna need to do one or two things. Call up Buenelos early and make him a number 2 pitcher and Burnett number 3 or trade for a number 2 pitcher. My suggestion if you guys want a number 2 pitcher then Man-Bam might be our best bet because we do have enough prospects for a number 2. But that would probably mean Manny would have to be in the deal. Here's the way I see it we should call him up early and shift Burnett to number 3. And then we trade for a number 4 or number 5 pitcher. I really think Banuelos is ready now.
    You think Banuelos is ready to step in and be a #2? I certainly don't. The order, at this point in time, doesn't really matter, but we have a current member of our staff putting up #2 type stuff right now, and I'm not making a Sabathia joke.

The prospect cost for a #2 will also depend on the contract situation of the player to be acquired, so it might not cost as much as you think.
    Team Northern Lights

So, the sox now have 4 pitchers on the DL for being bad at pitching (3 if you believe the Dice-K story).

I read on the other sox board that they might be considering Millwood. I know the sox are thin at the replacement of these guys, but I don't see how Millwood would be better off than any farm guys the sox call up.
    Team Northern Lights

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...um-of-a-month/
    Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that they expect him “to be out for a minimum of a month.”

Believe it or not that would actually qualify as good news for Matsuzaka, because UCL sprains are often precursors for Tommy John surgery and that would knock him out for 12-18 months.

NYYF Legend

I hope that both Lackey & Dice-K have speedy recoveries.

NYYF Legend

Verlander vs Beckett should be an interesting matchup tonight...each gave up a run already
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

The Red Sox and Kevin Millwood have agreed to a minor league deal, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown.

Millwood, 36, signed a minor league deal with the Yankees earlier this year but opted out of his contract after posting a 4.50 ERA through three minor league starts. Millwood's numbers appeared to be good through his first two starts, but scouts said otherwise, citing that his fastball was sitting around just 85mph.

Over the past few days, we've heard that the Cubs, Red Sox, and possibly the Angels have all shown interest in Millwood. Boston's rotation depth has taken a hit with injuries to both John Lackey and Daisuke Matsuzaka, so the Red Sox were a logical destination for the 14-year Major League veteran.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Verlander vs Beckett should be an interesting matchup tonight...each gave up a run already
    Verlander

Beckett: resists vomiting

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I'm wondering if Tito thought that pulling Beckett at 82 pitches was somehow karmic retribution for letting Clay throw over 125 last night. Stupid move. I thought it was a stupid move when he pulled him and it looks dumber now that the game is tied. I'm hoping Tito was, in fact, and idiot tonight and that there wasn't something wrong with the best part of our rotation right now. Guess we'll all find out later tonight or tomorrow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Verlander

Beckett: resists vomiting
    there are two other threads where no resisting necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I'm wondering if Tito thought that pulling Beckett at 82 pitches was somehow karmic retribution for letting Clay throw over 125 last night. Stupid move. I thought it was a stupid move when he pulled him and it looks dumber now that the game is tied. I'm hoping Tito was, in fact, and idiot tonight and that there wasn't something wrong with the best part of our rotation right now. Guess we'll all find out later tonight or tomorrow.
    I was just coming here to post and ask why he was lifted after 82 pitches? I thought for sure there had to be something wrong with him - some sort of tightness?

I've been checking in here and there so didn't see his last inning...maybe it was weather related and he slid on a landing and they didn't want to take any chances?

NYYF Legend

ah, MLB announcers just came on and said Beckett had neck tightness. I'm a freaking genius.

Thread Information