+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 411 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 152 192 242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 10275
  1. #3526
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You mean Scrappy Doo can't cover the entire middle infield himself?
    of course he can..this man takes ground balls ON HIS KNEES!!!!!!!!!
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  2. #3527

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    of course he can..this man takes ground balls ON HIS KNEES!!!!!!!!!
    It just looks that way when they haven't cut the grass for a couple of days.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  3. #3528
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Valentine is such a douche:

    "Last year at this time, the Red Sox had too much starting pitching . . . and the Yankees had the reverse,'' Valentine said Friday night, addressing the World Baseball Coaches Convention at Mohegan Sun. "They were saying, '[Freddy] Garcia? [Bartolo] Colon? Who are they? Who's going to be their fourth and fifth starters?'

    "They did in fact win the American League East last year.''

    When that response drew a smattering of applause, Valentine -- getting his first opportunity to manage in the major leagues since the Mets fired him after the 2002 season -- smiled and quoted a line from an unidentified friend: "Yankees fans aren't that smart. The easiest thing they understand is the clap.''
    Yes, as he already has made clear, Valentine intends to have fun with the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry.

    "I'm just looking forward to this new experience of passionately-fought baseball games,'' he said. "It should be fun. Eighteen times at least, huh? Against the Yankees?''
    ugh...he thinks he's so cute...you are the MANAGER douche, not a fan..ugh..



    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...tion-1.3468370
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  4. #3529
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    oh and from the same article, little Joshie's feelings were hurt last year by Valentine:

    In virtually non-stop travel mode since his hiring in early December, Valentine has either met or spoken with all of Boston's key players. He addressed the concerns of pitcher Josh Beckett, who didn't like being criticized by then-ESPN commentator Valentine during a game against the Yankees. "He told me that he used a slower motion as a competitive edge against the Yankees,'' Valentine said of Beckett.
    and he said no bad conduct will happen while he is manager:

    "We've got to go to the draft beer and the grilled chicken, I think,'' Valentine joked. He added: "If that happened, it's inexcusable . . . The apologies are out there, the assurances. It will never happen on my watch.''
    may be famous last words...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  5. #3530
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Valentine is such a douche:





    ugh...he thinks he's so cute...you are the MANAGER douche, not a fan..ugh..



    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...tion-1.3468370
    Can he ever open his db mouth without mentioning the Yankees? Talk about an obsession.

  6. #3531
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Can he ever open his db mouth without mentioning the Yankees? Talk about an obsession.
    It's like Schilling with his big mouth and Yankee hater hat..you're actually part of the teams, not a fan - you should be a little above that....no class.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  7. #3532
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    It's like Schilling with his big mouth and Yankee hater hat..you're actually part of the teams, not a fan - you should be a little above that....no class.
    Be glad we don't have a db manager like that.....or players/pitchers that constantly shoot their mouths off talking smack about other teams.

  8. #3533
    NYYF Cy Young

    BeantownYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sterling, Ma

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Scutiro traded per mlbtraderumors suspect Oswalt signing next
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

  9. #3534
    NYYF MVP

    The Comic Book Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19790978

    Scutaro to the Rockies back on, for RHP Clay Mortensen

    I'm assuming that the Red Sox are doing this because they feel it's necessary to have at least two pitchers named Clay.

  10. #3535
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Last season, he was 2-4 with a 3.86 ERA in 16 games, six of them starts. The Red Sox intend to use Mike Aviles and newly acquired Nick Punto to play shortstop in Scutaro's place, at least until top prospect Jose Iglesias proves ready for a major league promotion.
    Offensive black hole. Yes!

  11. #3536

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Offensive black hole. Yes!
    To go along with LF, RF and most likely catcher.

  12. #3537
    NYYF MVP

    The Comic Book Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Come to think of it, I don't think I know two people named Clay. I don't think I know anyone named Clay.

  13. #3538

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Come to think of it, I don't think I know two people named Clay. I don't think I know anyone named Clay.
    My cousin's name is Clay. He was born in a barn and wasn't able to speak until he was 8 or 9 though.

  14. #3539
    NYYF MVP

    The Comic Book Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    My cousin's name is Clay. He was born in a barn and wasn't able to speak until he was 8 or 9 though.
    Ah, that's probably why I don't know him.

  15. #3540

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Can he ever open his db mouth without mentioning the Yankees? Talk about an obsession.
    It's already old and tired and he hasn't even managed one game for the Sox. When he was in his prime and in a different era it was cringe-worthy and annoying. Now he just looks and sound like some over the hill fool.

    The Sox have really taken a few steps back as an organization. Can't say I'm unhappy about this.


  16. #3541

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    of course he can..this man takes ground balls ON HIS KNEES!!!!!!!!!
    I think you have him confused with his brother Brett.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

  17. #3542
    NYYF Legend

    yanksphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nühamshä

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    I think you have him confused with his brother Brett.
    Well done.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

  18. #3543
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ocean Springs MS

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    It's already old and tired and he hasn't even managed one game for the Sox. When he was in his prime and in a different era it was cringe-worthy and annoying. Now he just looks and sound like some over the hill fool.

    The Sox have really taken a few steps back as an organization. Can't say I'm unhappy about this.
    This is all quite true. I know many long-term fans who intend to sit out this season. Not only was last September's denouement an embarrassment, but this off-season has been worse. Nick Puunto getting at-bats? He's someone I used to make fun of. Couldn't believe anyone would actually want him on a 'large market' roster. And the reason for this pathetic off-season, where the Sox can't upgrade at shortstop, RF, or LF is the spectacular idiocy of the Carl Crawford contract. Funny thing is, that straight-jacket will prevent us from signing Ellsbury, who's twice the player Crawford is. The question I have for Theo is, paraphrasing Jack Nicholson in "The Witches of Eastwick": Did you do it to us on purpose, or did you just screw up??

  19. #3544

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cptcarl View Post
    Did you do it to us on purpose, or did you just screw up??
    IMO, it's option #3: Hubris.

  20. #3545
    NYYF Legend

    OldYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    1 hr north of 161st

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cptcarl View Post
    I know many long-term fans who intend to sit out this season.
    This is so typical of the current fan base and why I find them so hard to stomach or respect as fans.

    I know REAL long-term RS fans who stuck by their team year after year, even decade after decade. And when they finally won in 2004 I was actually happy for them.

    Then there are the "2004 jump-on-the-bandwagon" obnoxious majority of RS fans. You know, the type who are the first to start a "Yankees Suck" chant at a football game somehow believing that their hollow chant will somehow take away 27 championships and somehow make us feel bad. The same type of fan who "intends to sit out this season" because of their painful "Best Team Ever" collapse .... unless of course their beloved RS win a few games against the Yankees in the early going. Then they jump right back on that bandwagon in order to give "real" Yankees fans some sh!t.

    Long-term Fans DON"T sit out seasons. Phony fans do.

  21. #3546
    NYYF MVP

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Can he ever open his db mouth without mentioning the Yankees? Talk about an obsession.
    He fits right in, doesn't he?
    28 in 2014

  22. #3547

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cptcarl View Post
    Funny thing is, that straight-jacket will prevent us from signing Ellsbury, who's twice the player Crawford is.
    I think Ellsbury's leaving regardless of whether or not Crawford signed.

    Combine the agent, the mis diagnosis, the way his team acted when he was hurt, the isolationism in the clubhouse, etc.....

    He's gone.
    Team Northern Lights

  23. #3548
    22 gregzzy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    This Valentine guy is a trap I tell you.

    Hes so bad, he just might end up being good. Thats why I'll hold my comments till we play em a few times.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

  24. #3549
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OldYankeeFan View Post
    This is so typical of the current fan base and why I find them so hard to stomach or respect as fans.

    I know REAL long-term RS fans who stuck by their team year after year, even decade after decade. And when they finally won in 2004 I was actually happy for them.

    Then there are the "2004 jump-on-the-bandwagon" obnoxious majority of RS fans. You know, the type who are the first to start a "Yankees Suck" chant at a football game somehow believing that their hollow chant will somehow take away 27 championships and somehow make us feel bad. The same type of fan who "intends to sit out this season" because of their painful "Best Team Ever" collapse .... unless of course their beloved RS win a few games against the Yankees in the early going. Then they jump right back on that bandwagon in order to give "real" Yankees fans some sh!t.

    Long-term Fans DON"T sit out seasons. Phony fans do.
    Remember, you and I both went to Yankee games in 1992, but some 1.9 million people who didn't go then went in 2011. Phony fans?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  25. #3550

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    The Red Sox have clearly marketed themselves outside of the hardcore fan base ever since the new ownership group took over, and the "real fans" are among the first to complain about the "pink hats," their catch-all phrase for fair-weather fans who jumped on board around 2004 and jumped right off again over the last couple of years. It's those fans, by the way, who can be held indirectly responsible for the Crawford signing.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 9 guests)

  1. Black Sabbathia

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts