+ Reply to Thread
Page 122 of 422 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 132 172 222 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 10544
    Addicted Member

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    I think its time to give the Sox a bit of payback for making runs at our most beloved Yankees, namely Mariano Rivera in recent years (and if you wanna reach back, Bernie Williams)

Let's have a sit down with Ortiz's agent to make a "Public Offer" and raise his price. No reason to let the Sox get away cheap again by saying his suitors aren't true contenders for a ring...
    IDK if the Sox will try to save face and overpay. as Yankee Fan in Boston said it would be a good PR move for the Sox, but this ownership has refused to overpay for players and have seen a bunch leave because of that. I have a feeling they may stick to the model and not overpay for a guy they like.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    I think its time to give the Sox a bit of payback for making runs at our most beloved Yankees, namely Mariano Rivera in recent years (and if you wanna reach back, Bernie Williams)

Let's have a sit down with Ortiz's agent to make a "Public Offer" and raise his price. No reason to let the Sox get away cheap again by saying his suitors aren't true contenders for a ring...

Sounds familiar.... oh yeah, the Canseco waiver deal......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by dgreco View Post
    IDK if the Sox will try to save face and overpay. as Yankee Fan in Boston said it would be a good PR move for the Sox, but this ownership has refused to overpay for players and have seen a bunch leave because of that. I have a feeling they may stick to the model and not overpay for a guy they like.
    ORLY?

Old meme, hard to argue that with the many bad FA deals recently- with Crawford being the cherry on the top

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    ORLY?

Old meme, hard to argue that with the many bad FA deals recently- with Crawford being the cherry on the top
    Sorry, for guys currently on the team like Damon, Papelbon, Miller, Trot, and Pedro. Don't get me wrong they have overpaid for guys from other teams: Lugo, Rentaria, Crawford, Matt Clement!, Cameron etc...

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

ORLY?

Yeah, I think it will be hard for them to hold the line on Ortiz given their recent history. Of course, it's not like he's going to get an 7-year, $142 million offer at this point either. But their ability to justify hometown discounts has eroded considerably
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

ORLY?

Up here, the thought is that they aren't willing to give money to their own guys, but they'll shell out tons of it for people from other teams.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Yeah, I think it will be hard for them to hold the line on Ortiz given their recent history. Of course, it's not like he's going to get an 7-year, $142 million offer at this point either. But their ability to justify hometown discounts has eroded considerably
    But from time to time they have shown that hometown players don't get the deal, but we will bring in the "next great star" and pay top dollar for him. IDK if Ortiz is that much different than the other locals they let go. Unless they really do need the PR move and try to keep the fans around; they do have that sellout streak to keep intact.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

But from time to time they have shown that hometown players don't get the deal, but we will bring in the "next great star" and pay top dollar for him. IDK if Ortiz is that much different than the other locals they let go. Unless they really do need the PR move and try to keep the fans around; they do have that sellout streak to keep intact.
    They broke their own rule about length of contracts with Crawford (they had tried to with Tex). They actually haven't paid "top dollar" for that many guys; you can argue that Lackey was market rate as well. They seemingly changed their approach by giving bigger contracts to guys like Crawford and Gonzalez only recently when they stopped winning. Now that they had their recent debacle, and haven't won a playoff game since 2008, I can't see them deciding to go back to their previous course, unless someone offers Ortiz something ludicrous.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Up here, the thought is that they aren't willing to give money to their own guys, but they'll shell out tons of it for people from other teams.
    they should keep thinking that way. it does wonders for team morale.

ahahahhaha
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    They broke their own rule about length of contracts with Crawford (they had tried to with Tex). They actually haven't paid "top dollar" for that many guys; you can argue that Lackey was market rate as well. They seemingly changed their approach by giving bigger contracts to guys like Crawford and Gonzalez only recently when they stopped winning. Now that they had their recent debacle, and haven't won a playoff game since 2008, I can't see them deciding to go back to their previous course, unless someone offers Ortiz something ludicrous.

Their stance has really loosened up. Used to be they wouldn't go over 3 years and never did no trade clauses.

I think the relatively low cost of the home grown players is a happy consequence of developing their own great talent. Youkilis. Lil Dusty and Lester all gave up potentially larger paydays for security now. Having to buy out arb years gives the team a lot of leverage. Those deals were all for around the typical league price for similar deals Papelbon was the only one to play the string out and it paid for him. I don't get why more position players ( with less chance of career ending injury ) don't do the, but hey, if someone offered me generational financial security I'd probably bite also

With Lucky's increased clout, the balance is probably shifted a bit towards the $$$$ side- will be interesting to see how it plays out

My Christmas wishes includes hoping the the Bobby V led sawx get off to as horrible a start in 2012 as they did in 2011

Sorry, for guys currently on the team like Damon, Papelbon, Miller, Trot, and Pedro. Don't get me wrong they have overpaid for guys from other teams: Lugo, Rentaria, Crawford, Matt Clement!, Cameron etc...
    Just want to point out that them letting Damon go was not a case of not wanting to over pay, it was a case of them poorly evaluating his true value and what he would produce.
    Team Northern Lights

And I think while he loves Boston he is taking the best offer. At times last year it seemed like he really hated being in Boston (not because of the fans/but organization) and unless he gets the big money I think he walks.
    Who is going to give him big money? He's an AL only player. AL West - Rangers, M's, A's and Angels. Rangers and Angels DH's are full. AL Central Indians, Twins, Sox, Royals and Tigers. All of those DH spots are taken(Hafner, Mauer(will get a lot of DH time I hear), Dunn, Butler and VMart) and then AL East O's, Rays, Jays and Yanks. Really the only teams who would be interested are O's, M's and A's. Why would those teams give up a pick and 13 million a year to a DH when they won't contend? His best offer is accepting arbitration and taking that 15 or 16 million one year deal and hope they offer it to him again next year and cash in again.

Read that Valentine's deal is for 2 years

Interesting as it seems like 3 years is the norm/minimum

W/ 2 years, the second year has him as a lame duck

Seems like less than a full vote of confidence

contract length doesnt really mean anything does it? is their pay even guaranteed?
    like delv, but better

For a manager with only 1 year of experience, John Farrell is now in fantastic bargaining position for an extension.

Well then, if they don't overpay, then we have helped chase a big nemesis away from a big rival. Losing Ortiz DEFINITELY hurts their lineup more than most Sox fans care to imagine. And if they do overpay, great! Less payroll space for them is a bigger advantage to us than it is from their point of view when they chase our guys, or even when they chase our target FA's
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    contract length doesnt really mean anything does it? is their pay even guaranteed?
    It's not the NFL- their contracts are guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    For a manager with only 1 year of experience, John Farrell is now in fantastic bargaining position for an extension.
    Or, he can wait till the end of the contract and replace Valentine ( or Valentines interim replacement )- he's got 2 years left on his deal

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

So, does anyone know who the players are that are not thrilled with the Valentine signing?
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    So, does anyone know who the players are that are not thrilled with the Valentine signing?
    My best guess would be Beckett and Youkilis.

I still can't get over how much Ben sounds like Theo, it's so weird.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you added Pedroia and maybe Lester to the list. Pedroia and Tito were basically best friends and I would expect him to not be a fan of a manager like Bobby V.

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14 View Post
    just by their temperament or by some juicy leaks? neither would surprise me...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    just by their temperament or by some juicy leaks? neither would surprise me...
    Please never include Beckett, Youkilis, and juicy in the same thought ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Please never include Beckett, Youkilis, and juicy in the same thought ever again.
    good point!

Thread Information