+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 410 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 128 168 218 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 10239

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I doubt they DFA him unless he pitches and isn't effective. That said, I really was just responding to your question about who else is around. I do appreciate that contract, though, whether he pitches or not.
    I can see why you would but from my perspective, I don't see it really impacting what the Sox do that much. What I mean is that I think the Sox wont be tied up by a $6 million deal when making decisions.

This isn't like the Crawford deal...one that could really hurt the Sox over time.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldGarcia View Post
    I can see why you would but from my perspective, I don't see it really impacting what the Sox do that much. What I mean is that I think the Sox wont be tied up by a $6 million deal when making decisions.

This isn't like the Crawford deal...one that could really hurt the Sox over time.
    It certainly doesn't hurt as much as the Crawford deal, but $6 million is still not insignificant -- it's not like the Sox don't manage their payroll carefully.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

You still have Bobby Jenks for another year at $6 million
    Remember when some Yankee and Sox fans alike killed Cash for letting the Sox load up on Jenks and Wheeler? Yeah - good times.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Remember when some Yankee and Sox fans alike killed Cash for letting the Sox load up on Jenks and Wheeler? Yeah - good times.
    I was upset at Cash signing Feliciano over Jenks, when Jenks was someone who could potentially get both LHB and RHB out.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I was upset at Cash signing Feliciano over Jenks, when Jenks was someone who could potentially get both LHB and RHB out.
    Despite Cash's failure with Feliciano, Jenks didn't get out many LHB or RHB in 2011.

It certainly doesn't hurt as much as the Crawford deal, but $6 million is still not insignificant -- it's not like the Sox don't manage their payroll carefully.
    $6 million here, $6 million there- pretty soon you're talking real money
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I was not a big fan of the Feliciano signing for the same reason... I didn't see him as a massive upgrade over Logan and I think it's bad enough to carry one LOOGY. I preferred Fuentes (especially at the terms Feliciano go) because he is better and is less dependent on matchups to produce.

But I was not at all miffed about Jenks signing with the Sox. The overreaction in here when Jenks and Wheeler got signed was way over the top.

True. But the bigger problem isn't the money they will pay Jenks. It's that he isn't a good pitcher and they need several of them to help Bard in that pen.

True. But the bigger problem isn't the money they will pay Jenks. It's that he isn't a good pitcher and they need several of them to help Bard in that pen.
    Of course. But it certainly compounds the problem when you pay a guy an extremely generous salary to be the set up guy and he isn't good. Those are the kind of mistakes that really end up hurting.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Of course. But it certainly compounds the problem when you pay a guy an extremely generous salary to be the set up guy and he isn't good. Those are the kind of mistakes that really end up hurting.
    On the list of challenges facing Ben Cherington, I think the fact that Theo overpaid Jenks $6 mm for one more year is pretty low. Patching the holes in the pen and the rotation, signing Papi or, if not, an upgrade bat in RF, hoping that Crawford can settle down and contribute in 2012 and finalizing the manager choice and coaching positions are probably of a lot greater concern than the Jenks overpay.

On the list of challenges facing Ben Cherington, I think the fact that Theo overpaid Jenks $6 mm for one more year is pretty low. Patching the holes in the pen and the rotation, signing Papi or, if not, an upgrade bat in RF, hoping that Crawford can settle down and contribute in 2012 and finalizing the manager choice and coaching positions are probably of a lot greater concern than the Jenks overpay.
    Sure, but my point is more around the fact that if you say the Sox have $30-40 million (or whatever) to spend this offseason, Jenks both gives you a hole (because of your assumption he can't do the job he is being paid to do) AND represents, say, 15% of that total that you can't use to improve the team. It makes everything else he needs to do harder.

Sure, but my point is more around the fact that if you say the Sox have $30-40 million (or whatever) to spend this offseason, Jenks both gives you a hole (because of your assumption he can't do the job he is being paid to do) AND represents, say, 15% of that total that you can't use to improve the team. It makes everything else he needs to do harder.
    With Drew off the books, Paps' salary gone and Ortiz's salary possibly also gone, I don't see the Sox ownership passing on moves they want to make because they overpaid for Jenks by that amount. (Lackey, Matsuzaka and Crawford are another story.) I think the bigger problems facing them is that there aren't many free agents worth spending on this year and they have some real, obvious needs.

With Drew off the books, Paps' salary gone and Ortiz's salary possibly also gone, I don't see the Sox ownership passing on moves they want to make because they overpaid for Jenks by that amount. (Lackey, Matsuzaka and Crawford are another story.) I think the bigger problems facing them is that there aren't many free agents worth spending on this year and they have some real, obvious needs.
    You remind me of someone.....

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

ya think?
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    ya think?
    Maybe he does, and maybe he doesn't

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Maybe he does, and maybe he doesn't
    He's just easing in.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

It could go one way or the other.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

yup..

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I don't see it. This poster speaks rationally and, so far, hasn't been blatantly defensive about everything Sox. Additionally, I actually agree with most of what he's had to say thus far, and the person you're alluding to usually disagreed with me vis a vis the Red Sox.

If it is who you think, he's a lot more tolerable the second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I don't see it. This poster speaks rationally and, so far, hasn't been blatantly defensive about everything Sox. Additionally, I actually agree with most of what he's had to say thus far, and the person you're alluding to usually disagreed with me vis a vis the Red Sox.

Maybe it's the time off?

Let's see how the offseason progresses.

Anyway, what's the latest on the managerial search? I heard Sveum's name mentioned the other day

Half of those costs svings are already canceled by increases to Gonzalez and Crawford.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Half of those costs svings are already canceled by increases to Gonzalez and Crawford.
    Does Crawford's salary increase this year? I thought he was being paid the same thing every year.

Crawford's salary and performance gives me a lot of pause. People seem to think he'll have a better 2012...and I don't know why.

Sveum seems to be the top choice of the Red Sox and Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post

He's never denied it, in spite of being asked a few times in a few threads... in fact, never gave a reaction at all. But hey, whatever... I'm one of the weird ones that actually enjoyed the occasional debate with him.

Does Crawford's salary increase this year? I thought he was being paid the same thing every year.

Crawford's salary and performance gives me a lot of pause. People seem to think he'll have a better 2012...and I don't know why.

Sveum seems to be the top choice of the Red Sox and Cubs.
    Enjoy!

11:$14M, 12:$19.5M, 13:$20M, 14:$20.25M, 15:$20.5M, 16:$20.75M, 17:$21M

He did get $6MM in installment signing bonuses last year however.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Enjoy!

11:$14M, 12:$19.5M, 13:$20M, 14:$20.25M, 15:$20.5M, 16:$20.75M, 17:$21M

He did get $6MM in installment signing bonuses last year however.
    I thought it was about $20 mm a year. Whatever it is, it's too much. Much too much. It makes the Bobby Jenks contract look like a pimple.

Thread Information