+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 422 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 123 163 213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 10527
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: The Red Sox Thread

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...nation/?page=1

Wherein Theo Epstein confirms that all Boston fans are overly dramatic whiners with the accountability of a group of seven year olds.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

sounds sneaky to me.
    http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21149846/yocum-examines-lackey-resolution-near
    Red Sox right-hander John Lackey ‬recently visited Dr. Lewis Yocum in California to have his right elbow examined. According to one of the sources, the Red Sox are expecting "a final resolution" in the coming days after receiving the examination's results. The source stated that the organization doesn't believe a second opinion will be necessary.
    If the worst-case scenario -- Tommy John surgery -- is realized it would have a ‪significant impact on Lackey's contract with the Sox. His deal with Boston included a vesting option at the major league minimum (currently $414,000) for a sixth season if he required season-ending surgery on a pre-existing elbow condition. ‬Such an operation‪ would trigger the option, thus making the contract a six-year, $83 million deal -- thus meaning that, for luxury tax purposes, his contract is valued at roughly $13.8 million rather than $16.5 million, something that could mean millions of dollars in luxury tax relief to the Sox. ‬

It's impressive how similar Cherington sounds to Theo. His voice is basically identical and he even phrases things like Theo does.

EDIT: somebody in the press conference asked him what the differences between him and Theo are and he responded with "I don't play the guitar and I don't own a gorilla suit." haha.

Also per the press conference: Lackey is having Tommy John surgery and will miss the 2012 season.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Also per the press conference: Lackey is having Tommy John surgery and will miss the 2012 season.
    The market for AJ Burnett has just lost its only comp. Get it done Cash.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

The Lackey news is good not only because of him missing this coming season but with the added season @ league minimum added on, he becomes much more attractive to potential trade partners for 2013-15.
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

It's impressive how similar Cherington sounds to Theo. His voice is basically identical and he even phrases things like Theo does.

EDIT: somebody in the press conference asked him what the differences between him and Theo are and he responded with "I don't play the guitar and I don't own a gorilla suit." haha.
    At least he's got a sense of humor.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The market for AJ Burnett has just lost its only comp. Get it done Cash.
    Yes, get it done Cash. Please.

Anymore details about his injury and when it occurred?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I haven't heard any but I know Gammons reported in August that it was a possibility. Could be Gammo actually had real info for once.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Seriously. I'm wondering how long he was pitching in that condition
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I haven't heard any but I know Gammons reported in August that it was a possibility. Could be Gammo actually had real info for once.
    I had a feeling he was pitching hurt this past season. For a guy to be suddenly that bad there's usually a physical reason. OK, maybe AJ is the exception.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I had a feeling he was pitching hurt this past season. For a guy to be suddenly that bad there's usually a physical reason. OK, maybe AJ is the exception.
    ................, I wish Lackey were only as bad as AJ last year. Not that you meant to say they were equally bad, it just read that way to me.

srsly?
    always reasonable

Devoted Member

Makes him now untradeable. They still have to pay him $30.5 mil for 2012-13.
    DFA ARod.

Cherington comparing his style to Theo's using the analogy - comparing their prowess (or lack thereof) at picking up ladies in a bar, sounded unprofessional to say the least. Not to mention that Theo's married.

Did the Sox hire a frat boy or GM?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget View Post
    The Lackey news is good not only because of him missing this coming season but with the added season @ league minimum added on, he becomes much more attractive to potential trade partners for 2013-15.
    As pointed out on another forum, by the time that added season comes around in 2015, Lackey will have made over $100m. Why would he not just retire from baseball rather than work another year for $400k?

EDIT - I suppose a team could use that as a reason to re-negotiate his contract (e.g. to 3 years at a flat rate rather than 2 years at $15m or whatever and 1 year at league minimum), but Lackey has the leverage here. He's not likely to be hanging on for another big contract in his mid-30s; he won't be near any historical milestones or Hall of Fame candidacy that I can think of. He's got few good reasons not to just walk away.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    As pointed out on another forum, by the time that added season comes around in 2015, Lackey will have made over $100m. Why would he not just retire from baseball rather than work another year for $400k?

EDIT - I suppose a team could use that as a reason to re-negotiate his contract (e.g. to 3 years at a flat rate rather than 2 years at $15m or whatever and 1 year at league minimum), but Lackey has the leverage here. He's not likely to be hanging on for another big contract in his mid-30s; he won't be near any historical milestones or Hall of Fame candidacy that I can think of. He's got few good reasons not to just walk away.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Has it been confirmed that Lackey's contract will be extended a year at $400k? I can't imagine Lackey, his agent or the union allowing that w/out a fight and I think it will be pretty hard for the Sox to prove that the surgery was due to a pre 2010 condition.

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Lackey retires?? That works too... anything to get him out of a Red Sox uniform sooner is fine with me.
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Cherington comparing his style to Theo's using the analogy - comparing their prowess (or lack thereof) at picking up ladies in a bar, sounded unprofessional to say the least. Not to mention that Theo's married.

Well he was married to ESPN's Wendi Nix and he is now divorced. So Ben can at least pick up chix without committing adultery.

I thought Cherington handled himself pretty well yesterday. Was accountable, admitted that he was a Crawford advocate and said change was necessary. No doubt, he sounded like his predecessor but that's no surprise since the two worked hand in glove for years.

Best news of the day for the Red Sox: No Lackey until 2013.

NYYF Legend

2015 club option at Major League minimum salary if Lackey misses significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14
    Considering he has already pitched two years before these elbow problems, it would be hard to prove that it was pre-existing. That being said, I fully expect this option to be picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    Considering he has already pitched two years before these elbow problems, it would be hard to prove that it was pre-existing. That being said, I fully expect this option to be picked up.
    Yep. Reduces the lux tax by $3mm or so. Makes it a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    In the link nnysiny posted, it said Lackey's average FB velocity matched his career high.

I wouldn't expect that to be the case-- at least not over an entire season- if there was a pre-existing condition.

Then again, I'm no doctor...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post

Hopefully a frat boy - that would be much more fun.

Thread Information