+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 422 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Re: The Red Sox Thread (New and Improved)

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    The bolded part is an unacceptable comment. Please read the forum rules on player bashing.
    link?

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    link?
    Community Standards link is in the footer at the bottom of the each page on the forum.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The bolded part is an unacceptable comment. Please read the forum rules on player bashing.
    If he had said "Lackey is a douche because he threw Crawford under the bus", would that have been acceptable?

Bashing of players, anyone who works for the Yankees or covers the Yankees will not be tolerated. That goes for ALL players and ALL teams. But remember - negative analysis is NOT bashing, provided it is backed up with fact.
    I'm being 100% serious, I swear.

Community Standards link is in the footer at the bottom of the each page on the forum.
    Ah, I was trying to go through the sticky in the Introductions section, and those links are all broken.

NYYF Legend

Yeah even if it true you shouldn't say something like that about another player. Even if that player breaks the unwritten rules of saying another MLB player is garbage and you should never allow him beat you, or if he throws his own all-star LF who may be one of the best defensive LF in the past 10 years under the bus for not catching a ball off the wall against one of the better hitters in the AL who just crushed yet another meatball that guy threw up there or if that player gets upset at a gold glove cailber player trying to dive to stop yet another rocket said player has just given up who then throws up his hands in disgust that his defender didn't make a web gem to bail his sorry ass out.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yeah even if it true you shouldn't say something like that about another player. Even if that player breaks the unwritten rules of saying another MLB player is garbage and you should never allow him beat you, or if he throws his own all-star LF who may be one of the best defensive LF in the past 10 years under the bus for not catching a ball off the wall against one of the better hitters in the AL who just crushed yet another meatball that guy threw up there or if that player gets upset at a gold glove cailber player trying to dive to stop yet another rocket said player has just given up who then throws up his hands in disgust that his defender didn't make a web gem to bail his sorry ass out.
    Especially then.

Sox thread is dead. Long live the Sox thread.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1970cs View Post
    [/B]There is no good reason Francona should have had either Lackey or Wake pitching in the 7th of that game.
    It's ................ed up, because Francona in his managing style reminded me a lot of Joe Torre early on, except Francona didn't regularly make these kind of stupid on the field moves. Of course, neither did Torre early on in his run!

It's as though they just lose it over time... first he starts trotting out that horrible "Sunday" lineup every week, then he does the Torre thing of falling in love with a below average utility guy or middle infielder and trying to squeeze him into every illogical situation he can. Over the years, his bullpen moves have slowly, but surely, become dumber and dumber on a more and more regular basis.

I wanted to wait a day and see if the moves seemed any less stupid because I didn't want to react unfairly in the heat of the moment. That decision was so stupid... I just, I don't know. What can you say? It was a Grady Little type move is what it was. Just ................ing ridiculous. One of my friends is somewhat vocal about wanting Tito gone at this point. He'll need to do some things differently, that's for sure. The ability to handle superstar personalities just isn't enough if you can't see how horrible those two moves were Wednesday night.

07 is one of the few people who has actually contributed to this thread with substance over the last few weeks, and he gets called out for a completely accurate criticism of a player? That's pretty harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    It's ................ed up, because Francona in his managing style reminded me a lot of Joe Torre early on, except Francona didn't regularly make these kind of stupid on the field moves. Of course, neither did Torre early on in his run!

It's as though they just lose it over time... first he starts trotting out that horrible "Sunday" lineup every week, then he does the Torre thing of falling in love with a below average utility guy or middle infielder and trying to squeeze him into every illogical situation he can. Over the years, his bullpen moves have slowly, but surely, become dumber and dumber on a more and more regular basis.

I wanted to wait a day and see if the moves seemed any less stupid because I didn't want to react unfairly in the heat of the moment. That decision was so stupid... I just, I don't know. What can you say? It was a Grady Little type move is what it was. Just ................ing ridiculous. One of my friends is somewhat vocal about wanting Tito gone at this point. He'll need to do some things differently, that's for sure. The ability to handle superstar personalities just isn't enough if you can't see how horrible those two moves were Wednesday night.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope the Torrification of Tito continues.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    07 is one of the few people who has actually contributed to this thread with substance over the last few weeks, and he gets called out for a completely accurate criticism of a player? That's pretty harsh.
    I think Bub is just trying to stop it before it gets out of hand like some prior Red Sox threads.
    Baseball is life;

Didn't mean anything about the douche comment other than that Lackey never blames himself for anything, it's always someone else's fault, whether it be his Gold Glove LF who didn't scale a wall to make a catch, or his 3rd baseman who laid out and couldn't catch a rocket that went for a hit.

The fact is, he has lost substantial velocity off his fastball and he has little to no location on any of his pitches. Every single borderline pitch that doesn't go his way, he is mouthing off to the umpire. There comes a point where you have to look at the situation and think that maybe, just maybe, you're responsible for the lack of effectiveness of your pitches. Not bad luck. Not umpires. And definitely not your gold glove LF.

Until he learns that lesson, he'll continue to be absolutely terrible because in his mind, he's throwing the ball well. And why would you work on something that you're convinced you're doing well? Josh Beckett went through the same transition. He is using his location and his offspeed stuff and throwing it for strikes on the inside and outside third of the plate, and he's been an incredibly effective pitcher this year. Until Lackey realizes that his days of getting away with missed location are over, he's not going to get better.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballFan07 View Post
    Didn't mean anything about the douche comment ...
    And I think Bub knows that which is why he directed you to commuinty standards instead of breaking out the suspension hammer.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

http://www.fenwayfaithfulreport.com/...y-ordonez.html
    Interesting blog read from Fenway Faithful
    Baseball is life;

I welcome the addition of a Rey Ordonez type in their lineup for the next decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I welcome the addition of a Rey Ordonez type in their lineup for the next decade or so.
    He won't be called up to play as the starting SS until he proves he is ready. Lowrie is still a very solid switch hitting SS that absolutely rakes vs LHP. No need to rush Iggy if he's not ready to come up.

Proves he's ready by doing what? It'd doubtful he ever improves as a hitter.

My favorite quote of the year is absolutely going to be Lackey's "Everything about my life sucks right now" from the other night. When a player says something about himself that would get us warned or suspended if we were to write it about him in this thread, it's plain awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Proves he's ready by doing what? It'd doubtful he ever improves as a hitter.
    This is the general consensus. He may hit an empty .285 or so, but he'll very likely never be a net positive offensive player. So...he better be Omar Vizquel or better with the glove if he is going to be a starter. To be honest, I would welcome an all glove, no hit SS playing in Fenway for the Sox. Just like I think Crawford's talents as a fielder are mitigated greatly.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Sorry to pile on, but I don't see how anyone other than a mod would consider this sanitized, lifeless thread an "improvement." Respectfully, I have not heard anyone who isn't a mod say anything positive about the direction things are going around here.
    I commented that the moderators need to "lighten up" in (mild) opposition to a mod's rebuke of a non-threatening post and was banned for three days! I, too, find this board very sanitized, statistical, and somewhat boring. I am an "mature" woman who does not like to see profanity, rude and vulgar rantings, etc., but this IS a Yankee board where Yankee fans go to rejoice and brag after a win and to vent and let off steam after a loss. Colorful opinions should not be stiffled and there can be some leeway with language - this is not a grammar school forum (as far as I know).

Is the Boston system really that weak that a guy who profiles as an all glove-no hit type qualifies as their best prospect? I thought they were supposed to still be decent in terms of prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Is the Boston system really that weak that a guy who profiles as an all glove-no hit type qualifies as their best prospect? I thought they were supposed to still be decent in terms of prospects?
    Does he bat right-handed?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I don't know anyone who rated Iglesias as their top prospect. The Gonzalez trade hammered their prospects, no doubt, but they still have some high ceiling guys at the lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I don't know anyone who rated Iglesias as their top prospect. The Gonzalez trade hammered their prospects, no doubt, but they still have some high ceiling guys at the lower levels.
    Gotcha. The article Tripper linked to called him their top prospect. I don't really follow the Sox minor leagues very closely, so I was just going based on that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    Baseball prospectus had him #1
    Baseball America had him #2 behind Kelly before the trade
    Top Prospect had him #2 behind Kelly also.

So yeah a few people have (or had) him as Boston's top prospect.
    Baseball is life;

Gotcha. The article Tripper linked to called him their top prospect. I don't really follow the Sox minor leagues very closely, so I was just going based on that.
    Lots of people think that, considering the current environment of MLB and the growing desire to hold onto prospects, the Padres got an absolute haul for Gonzalez.

Btw, and I know it's been written in here a ton, but I do think a lot of focus needs to be on Epstein's absolute inability to put together a pitching staff. His scouting department has done a wonderful job in getting him his top starters (he dealt for Becket, but he gave up a top 25 MLB player for him to do so), but his pens have been atrocious. Not to mention his FA signings. If the Sox had Andrew Friedman instead of Epstein, I'd be VERY worried as a Yankee fan.

Thread Information