+ Reply to Thread
Page 209 of 209 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 206 207 208 209
Results 5,201 to 5,219 of 5219

Re: The 2011-2012 New York Knicks Thread

Starting JR Smith, Melo, Felton and Amare? Puhhhhhleeeaaasseeeeee

Chandler is frigging awesome defensively but even he can't single handedly make a team "elite" defensively.

Knicks already were a top defensive team once Woodson took over last year. Based on the moves they've made they should be even better next year.

Shumpert, Brewer and Camby will all help the team defensively.

And Novak.
    [IMG]http://www.soccerweekends.co.uk/images/manchester-united-tickets.gif[/IMG]

Killer Bs: Betances, Banuelos, Brackman, Bleich

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    It was the only offer he had. The Knicks essentially told him to go test the market and determine his worth while they pursued Steve Nash.

The Rockets upped the offer before any formal commitment was made. All the while everyone in Knickville was brashly throwing any leverage out the window. An inside NBA source said they would "match up to a $billion". The GM himself had said he "didn't envision any scenario" where Lin wouldn't be back. And the coach said multiple times that Lin would "absolutely" be back and that he would be the starter. It's likely Lin's camp went back to Houston and asked them to up the offer but that was their right and that's what free agency is about.
    Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't really following the whole Lin thing from a re-signing standpoint. I just knew that he was an FA.

Who told Lin to test the FA market? Isn't that like telling someone to "go take a hike", as did Cashman w/Pettitte, who then went to ... Houston.

I thought that the Knicks would pretty much lockup Lin, so that they could then worry about whoever else they had in mind (you'd mentioned Nash).

Did the Rockets up the ante before or after Lin signed with them? At least Jeremy gave Knicks fans a "shout out" about his appreciation for their dedication to him at the Rockets' press conference.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabien Brandy View Post
    Shumpert, Brewer and Camby will all help the team defensively.

And Novak.
    That's not the same Marcus Camby who had to "retire" some 10 years ago, is it?

I also cannot believe that Jason Kidd acted like a complete tool and totalled his SUV when he was DWI. I thought that he was there to tutor Lin before the Rockets' deal was inked. Now who's the Knicks' point guard?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Knicks open up the season on November 1st, on the road in Brooklyn. Should be a fun scene.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

I really don't see the team becoming a defensive juggernaut with downgrades (defensively) at 1 (Lin/Davis > Felton/Kidd, 2 (Shump>>>JRSmith) and 4 (grizy > Amare). Melo and Novak are not exactly defensive oriented players either.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Knicks open up the season on November 1st, on the road in Brooklyn. Should be a fun scene.
    Is the schedule out? Looking forward to the game against Houston

Edit: Just found out that it will be out tomorrow night:

"The rest of the 2012-13 schedule will be released at 7 p.m. on Thursday, with a special on NBA TV."
    http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/7/25/3...nets-vs-knicks

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    I really don't see the team becoming a defensive juggernaut with downgrades (defensively) at 1 (Lin/Davis > Felton/Kidd, 2 (Shump>>>JRSmith) and 4 (grizy > Amare). Melo and Novak are not exactly defensive oriented players either.
    Seriously? You think that Lin/Dizzle is greater than Felton/Kidd? I see absolutely zero, and I mean literally ZERO, reason for that to be the case. Felton and Kidd are both solid to above-average defenders.

Smith/Brewer/White ~ Shump/Landry For all his faults, JR competed like crazy for Woodson defensively last year. Landry has always had problems with defensive toughness and guarding opposing 2s.

Tyson/Camby >>>> Tyson/2011 rotational 5

Plus adding a paint thug like KT to the bench for 5-10 minutes a night, White who made his athleticism and length on defense a calling card in Europe, and Shump eventually coming back in some limited capacity.

The team finished 5th in Deff Eff in the NBA last year (were either 10th or 11th when MDA left, if I recall correctly). They've only strengthened their defensive pieces, and more importantly made it the clear objective to become a team predicated on defense. Almost every single move they've made this offseason was to do one of two things:

1) Bring in defensive intelligence/toughness.

2) Bring in veteran, back court floor leadership.

Bill Walker, injured TD, Bibby, injured Dizzle, and Fields gaurding opposing 2s are all gone, with average or better defenders taking their places. The rotational defensive depth on this team is way, way beyond what it was last year. Way beyond. And they're going to have a full season working under Woodson who has shown that he has every intention of becoming a physical, defensive team.

Kidd isn't what he used to be and Lin held opponents to lower FG% and points/play than Ray Felton, by quite a bit.

I guess 2 is improved defensively with Brewer but I suspect JR Smith is currently at the top of that depth chart.

NYYF Legend

They're getting bigger and half-court oriented. I can't at all fault the plan w/ Woodson here. You need that slow paced game with all the older (but still effective) players.

The main obstacle remains, however, imo;

Can Woodson and his vet PG's make the most of Amare / Melo?

We'll see.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GimeMoMuny View Post
    They're getting bigger and half-court oriented. I can't at all fault the plan w/ Woodson here. You need that slow paced game with all the older (but still effective) players.

The main obstacle remains, however, imo;

Can Woodson and his vet PG's make the most of Amare / Melo?

We'll see.
    I think Kidd and Felton are a better fit for this team than Lin (though not better players), simply because they will concede to Melo. Lin is a little bit of a black hole as well, so they would never have meshed properly.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Seriously? You think that Lin/Dizzle is greater than Felton/Kidd? I see absolutely zero, and I mean literally ZERO, reason for that to be the case. Felton and Kidd are both solid to above-average defenders.

Smith/Brewer/White ~ Shump/Landry For all his faults, JR competed like crazy for Woodson defensively last year. Landry has always had problems with defensive toughness and guarding opposing 2s.

Tyson/Camby >>>> Tyson/2011 rotational 5

Plus adding a paint thug like KT to the bench for 5-10 minutes a night, White who made his athleticism and length on defense a calling card in Europe, and Shump eventually coming back in some limited capacity.

The team finished 5th in Deff Eff in the NBA last year (were either 10th or 11th when MDA left, if I recall correctly). They've only strengthened their defensive pieces, and more importantly made it the clear objective to become a team predicated on defense. Almost every single move they've made this offseason was to do one of two things:

1) Bring in defensive intelligence/toughness.

2) Bring in veteran, back court floor leadership.

Bill Walker, injured TD, Bibby, injured Dizzle, and Fields gaurding opposing 2s are all gone, with average or better defenders taking their places. The rotational defensive depth on this team is way, way beyond what it was last year. Way beyond. And they're going to have a full season working under Woodson who has shown that he has every intention of becoming a physical, defensive team.

Agreed.

And imo Melo is not that bad of a defender. He didn't play hard under D'Antoni, and he's never going to be a great defender, but under Woodson he has and will hold his own.

Hopefully having more depth in the front court will hold Amare accountable, because he is still a disaster on defense. Novak is too, but he plays limited minutes and you just have to accept that he can shoot and do nothing else.

You don't need elite defenders at every position. Miami, Boston, Chicago, etc. all have players that individually aren't anything special defensively. I'd be really surprised if we don't end up being one of the top 5 defensive teams.

NYYF Legend

Knicks 2012-13 home regular season schedule is out:

11/2/12 Fri 8:00 PM Miami Heat
    11/4/12 Sun 12:00 PM Philadelphia 76ers
    11/9/12 Fri 7:30 PM Dallas Mavericks
    11/18/12 Sun 12:00 PM Indiana Pacers
    11/25/12 Sun 1:00 PM Detroit Pistons
    11/30/12 Fri 7:30 PM Washington Wizards

12/2/12 Sun 12:00 PM Phoenix Suns
    12/9/12 Sun 7:30 PM Denver Nuggets
    12/13/12 Thu 8:00 PM Los Angeles Lakers
    12/15/12 Sat 7:30 PM Cleveland Cavaliers
    12/17/12 Mon 7:30 PM Houston Rockets
    12/19/12 Wed 7:00 PM Brooklyn Nets
    12/21/12 Fri 7:30 PM Chicago Bulls
    12/23/12 Sun 5:00 PM Minnesota Timberwolves

1/1/13 Tue 7:30 PM Portland Trail Blazers
    1/3/13 Thu 7:30 PM San Antonio Spurs
    1/7/13 Mon 7:30 PM Boston Celtics
    1/11/13 Fri 8:00 PM Chicago Bulls
    1/13/13 Sun 12:00 PM New Orleans Hornets
    1/21/13 Mon 3:30 PM Brooklyn Nets
    1/27/13 Sun 6:30 PM Atlanta Hawks
    1/30/13 Wed 7:30 PM Orlando Magic

2/1/13 Fri 7:30 PM Milwaukee Bucks
    2/2/13 Sat 7:30 PM Sacramento Kings
    2/4/13 Mon 7:30 PM Detroit Pistons
    2/10/13 Sun 1:00 PM Los Angeles Clippers
    2/13/13 Wed 7:30 PM Toronto Raptors
    2/24/13 Sun 7:00 PM Philadelphia 76ers
    2/27/13 Wed 7:30 PM Golden State Warriors

3/3/13 Sun 1:00 PM Miami Heat
    3/7/13 Thu 8:00 PM Oklahoma City Thunder
    3/9/13 Sat 7:30 PM Utah Jazz
    3/20/13 Wed 7:30 PM Orlando Magic
    3/23/13 Sat 7:30 PM Toronto Raptors
    3/27/13 Wed 7:30 PM Memphis Grizzlies
    3/29/13 Fri 7:30 PM Charlotte Bobcats
    3/31/13 Sun 7:30 PM Boston Celtics

4/5/13 Fri 7:30 PM Milwaukee Bucks
    4/9/13 Tue 7:30 PM Washington Wizards
    4/14/13 Sun 3:30 PM Indiana Pacers
    4/17/13 Wed 8:00 PM Atlanta Hawks

This seems to be the place to ask, does anybody know any decent Knicks forums?

Preferably with an atmosphere like this one or OutsideTheGarden for the Rangers.

Thanks in advance.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    This seems to be the place to ask, does anybody know any decent Knicks forums?

Preferably with an atmosphere like this one or OutsideTheGarden for the Rangers.

Thanks in advance.
    It's pretty much trash out there. The biggest I think is knicksonline.com or a sub forum on prosportsdaily, but both of those are just a bunch of short attention span clowns

Never heard of OutsideTheGarden for the Rangers, but blueshirtsbrotherhood is the best and hfboards is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    It's pretty much trash out there. The biggest I think is knicksonline.com or a sub forum on prosportsdaily, but both of those are just a bunch of short attention span clowns

Never heard of OutsideTheGarden for the Rangers, but blueshirtsbrotherhood is the best and hfboards is pretty good
    OutSideTheGarden is pretty good, it's how I found this place.

Cheers.

NYYF Legend

Prigioni looks like an exceptional pickup. Tons of fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

Signed up to New York Knicks Fan Page, just waiting for the trial period to end before I can start posting. Seems decent compared to some others I looked at, roll on Brooklyn!

Thread Information