+ Reply to Thread
Page 208 of 209 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 205 206 207 208 209 LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 5219

Re: The 2011-2012 New York Knicks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    That facebook thread image has really gone viral today, but it's FAKE, there is no such thread like shown

Yes there are a bunch of racist a-hole posts but they are few and far between from the thousands of supportive messages. Someone just cherry picked all the really really bad ones and photoshopped a jpg together to stir up emotions

Yeah, some bad stuff was said, but it was nowhere near as crazy uniform as that unknown person suggests

I believe you, but then it's not fake it's just altered. Those remarks were still made, and it's still a sad state of affairs.

Ha.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...aration-family

Most tellingly, perhaps, Isiah Thomas is close to Dolan, Wesley, Grunwald, Woodson and others with the Knicks, according to sources. The former Knicks president and coach is still a very influential voice in Dolan's ear, and those behind the scenes say he is lukewarm toward Lin.

From CNBC today:

"Over the last 4 days, Madison Square Garden shares have collectively fallen $93 million in value."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I believe you, but then it's not fake it's just altered. Those remarks were still made, and it's still a sad state of affairs.
    Of course, but it's probably less than 1%. There's some really nasty people out there that are racist / bigoted, but it's no where near the majority. It's not like 100% of responses were like that

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    From CNBC today:

"Over the last 4 days, Madison Square Garden shares have collectively fallen $93 million in value."
    Could have something to do with things like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    Jeremy Lin's market value happen to be a great lift upward for any of the NBA's small market teams.

Why did the Rockets go for him? Because it made basketball sense and marketing sense.

The Rockets not only filled a position of need, but also snagged a player who may re-establish the franchise in Asia, where the team enjoyed massive popularity during Yao Ming's career.
    Lin is American-born, but of Chinese and Taiwanese descent, and his timing is perfect to capitalize on the NBA's explosive growth in China. He'll wear No. 7 for the Rockets, a change from the No. 17 he wore with the Knicks. The team began taking pre-orders for Lin jerseys online on Wednesday.
    Yao was widely credited with breaking open the Chinese market for the NBA, but his retirement last summer hasn't slowed the game's growth or popularity.

Television ratings for live NBA games on CCTV5, the national network in China, were up 21 percent in 2011-12 from the previous season, the league said. The NBA had about 16 million followers on social media when Yao retired, and that number spiked to 49 million last season, the league said.

Marc Ganis, president of Chicago-based SportsCorp, says the Rockets will be able to build on Lin's marketability.
    "There is still a lot of interest in the Rockets in China, even without Yao," Ganis said. "This is clearly an effort to get a good player, but also capitalize on the in-roads that the team has already made with Chinese sponsors and the fans there."
    Reaction among fans closer to home was muted. While Lin's arrival was the talk of sports radio in Houston and generated a healthy dose of chatter on Twitter, the marquee at the Toyota Center mentioned only season-ticket packages for the Rockets, along with an Aerosmith concert and a WWE Smackdown.
    On the basketball front, general manager Daryl Morey still has work to do.

We all can write a conspiracy-theory about Jeremy Lin's free agency, b/c they all sound good...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...oss-jeremy-lin

Much as he tried to run away from that "ridiculous contract" quote, Anthony's scrambling came in vain. "Melo didn't want Lin back, I do know that," said one source who has extensive dealings with the Knicks and their players. "Everybody in that locker room wanted Lin back except Melo and J.R. Smith."
    I think it was pretty widely understood that the Diva and his vehicular-manslaughter committing, Bloods-repping, injury-faking lackey didn't want the guy back. But I agree with O'Connor that it still falls on the owner - it's not Carmelo's fault that he's the new Isiah, it's Dolan's.

I find it very difficult to root for Carmelo. In fact, all the years I've been rooting for New York teams, especially the Knicks, perhaps my most favorite team of all (certainly right up there with the Yankees), I've never been so uninspired by the team's top player. With Marbury, the baggage was always there, and the media beat him up pretty good. So it was almost redundant to get on his case.

Melo, OTOH, is a behind-the-scenes fake and fraud, a proven lifetime loser who can't take his teams past the first round, who has the worst playoff record in the entire league of any player with 50 playoff games experience. It's no accident. This guy has zero leadership skills because he can't think past his own childish needs. Why else oppose Lin? The kid has major star power and, worst of all, he could have been more popular than Melo because he could actually lead a team; if Linsanity proved anything it was that. Lin's just the better person; that was the real threat to Himself.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

I'm pretty sure also that Isiah Thomas also told Dolan he shouldn't match the offer

I'm pretty sure also that Isiah Thomas also told Dolan he shouldn't match the offer

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of those "brain trust" meetings. You have the clown prince Dolan, Isiah who turns everything he touches into sh*t, and yes-men Allan Houston and Grunwald sucking on Dolan's teats. "Jim, I think what you need to do here is give them more draft picks."

NYYF Legend

Having Dolan as the Knicks owner sucks for multiple reasons.

The obvious one is the actual decisions he makes. The general folly behind them, and the impact on the team I care about.

The second one is the resulting skepticism with which we greet any decision that the team makes, and how every decision leaves us wondering about why whatever happened REALLY happened.

I mean, I can come up with several potential explanations for not matching Lin having nothing to do with his negotiating tactics (even though I still would have done it strictly from an asset retention standpoint), and together they can form a reasonable response for me, but in the end there's a very high level of distrust and incertitude no matter what they do - and rightfully so.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

The obvious one is the actual decisions he makes. The general folly behind them, and the impact on the team I care about.

The second one is the resulting skepticism with which we greet any decision that the team makes, and how every decision leaves us wondering about why whatever happened REALLY happened.

I mean, I can come up with several potential explanations for not matching Lin having nothing to do with his negotiating tactics (even though I still would have done it strictly from an asset retention standpoint), and together they can form a reasonable response for me, but in the end there's a very high level of distrust and incertitude no matter what they do - and rightfully so.
    That's the problem with how that organization is run because you don't know if any decision is made for the right reasoning or not with most of us suspecting it's for the latter.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

After the Isaiah nightmare and Dolan's stubborn refusal to do what everyone else on this earth knew needed to be done, I think it's more then reasonable to assume that every boneheaded decision is a result of his little arrogant "so there!" tempter tantrums.
    Deja vu all over again

NYYF Legend

With Isiah's record as GM, you'd think Dolan would do the exact opposite of whatever Thomas says.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    With Isiah's record as GM, you'd think Dolan would do the exact opposite of whatever Thomas says.
    It all boils down to going the other way on the logic with the both of them.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I've always meant to ask, if Lin wanted to remain a NY Knick, then why did he sign some initial offer with Houston?

Also, was the deal restructured (as in heavily backloaded) by the Houston front office after the signing?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upůget up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

I heard earlier, the NBA next season (13-14) will have ads on the uniforms. With LAL soon to get Howard, Heat, OKC, Boston (1 or the other will be champs the next 5 years), the Knicks being a headcase, the league is becoming unwatchable.
    Something if wrong with a sport when you can predict the Finals AND be right, in the middle of their off-season.

How many people predicted Dallas Mavericks in 2011?

OKC wasn't the favorite either to win western last year
    Preseason odds to win western conference for last season.
    Los Angeles Lakers 2/1
    Oklahoma City Thunder 13/4
    Dallas Mavericks 4/1
    Portland Trail Blazers 10/1
    San Antonio Spurs 10/1
    Memphis Grizzlies 15/1
    Los Angeles Clippers 20/1
    Denver Nuggets 25/1
    Houston Rockets 25/1
    New Orleans Hornets 30/1
    Phoenix Suns 30/1
    Utah Jazz 35/1
    Golden State Warriors 40/1
    Minnesota Timberwolves 60/1
    Sacramento Kings 60/1

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    I've always meant to ask, if Lin wanted to remain a NY Knick, then why did he sign some initial offer with Houston?

Also, was the deal restructured (as in heavily backloaded) by the Houston front office after the signing?
    It was the only offer he had. The Knicks essentially told him to go test the market and determine his worth while they pursued Steve Nash.

The Rockets upped the offer before any formal commitment was made. All the while everyone in Knickville was brashly throwing any leverage out the window. An inside NBA source said they would "match up to a $billion". The GM himself had said he "didn't envision any scenario" where Lin wouldn't be back. And the coach said multiple times that Lin would "absolutely" be back and that he would be the starter. It's likely Lin's camp went back to Houston and asked them to up the offer but that was their right and that's what free agency is about.

It's really more like 200 million. MSG slide started before Lin signed the 25.1/3 offer.

That image is old too. It's more like 250m now.

NYYF Legend

Knicks get Ronnie Brewer on a 1 year deal. Excellent rotational guy for the price, will play very good defense on the opposing backcourt while Shump tries to work his way back.

I'm telling you - so long as Chandler stays healthy the Knickslook to be an elite defensive team.

NYYF Legend

56% free throw shooter, 27% from 3. Awesome.

He better be ridiculous on defense.
    Currently building my Man-cave-a for Mancada's arrival.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    56% free throw shooter, 27% from 3. Awesome.

He better be ridiculous on defense.
    You do realize he was signed to the vet min for one year, yes?

Corey Brewer reminds me of Stacey Augmon a little bit, and those guys are useful.

Ronnie Brewer does not remind me of Stacey Augmon, but is a good perimeter defender.

Good pickup.
    Last edited by Fabien Brandy; 07-24-12 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Wrong Brewer
    [IMG]http://www.soccerweekends.co.uk/images/manchester-united-tickets.gif[/IMG]

Killer Bs: Betances, Banuelos, Brackman, Bleich

NYYF Legend

Knicks should be a really good defensive team.

Thread Information