Closed Thread
Page 83 of 157 FirstFirst ... 33 73 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 93 133 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 3910

Re: Lets Go Rangers! 2011-2012 season thread

If that is indeed his MO...it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You suspend based on the hit and the amount of recklessness and intent. Thats called COMMON SENSE.

Whether the guy gets injured or not...that doesnt necessarily depend on how "dirty" or "illegal" the hit was. To not suspend Weber, then give Hagelin 3 games is the definition of stupidity. What Carkner did--sucker punch someone, then keep punching him when he's down is MUCH worse then Hagelin. Meanwhile, Phillips clearly intends to elbow Cally in the head...and the league doesnt even look at it. Again, much worse then what Hagelin did. This isnt debatable.

Just to review...the Sens came in with the clear intention of playing dirty. They dressed their goons, opened the game with a premeditated attack (which benefitted THEM in game, as the refs inexplicably sent off one of our top 6 players along with their scrub), and they proceeded to make intentionally dirty plays throughout the game (shoving guys into Lundqvist, slew footing folks, boarding, etc). Then they actually BRAG about that game plan after the game. Regardless of the FACT that gooning and attempt to injure our players was CLEARLY Ottawa's goal, they get one game of suspended players. Carkner also has a checkered history with this kind of play.

Hagelin accidentally hurts one of their guys, shows tons of remorse, and he gets three...and that with a clean record of never playing this way or delivering dirty hits before. Basically if you're a) on a Canadian team.....b) a star.....c) on the Penguins....you do whatever the hell you want.

I LOL'd when I read this on HF....

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky has been suspended for the remainder of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs—in addition to ten games next season—for his attack on the team's defenseless Gatorade cooler in last night's game against the Ottawa Senators. Brendan Shanahan, the National Hockey League's Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and Head Disciplinarian, made clear that since the Gatorade cooler did not return to the game, a ridiculous suspension was warranted.

According to the Rangers FB page:

"The New York Rangers accept the NHL's three-game suspension of Carl Hagelin and will not pursue an appeal. However, we are thoroughly perplexed in the ruling's inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs. We will have no further comment on this decision."

I say stand up for this foolishness. Worst outcome, nothing changes. Good outcome, suspension is reduced.

I used to respect Shanahan so much as a player. But he's been on my sh*t list a while now. I guess he forgot what it was like during playoff hockey.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    According to the Rangers FB page:

"The New York Rangers accept the NHL's three-game suspension of Carl Hagelin and will not pursue an appeal. However, we are thoroughly perplexed in the ruling's inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs. We will have no further comment on this decision."

I say stand up for this foolishness. Worst outcome, nothing changes. Good outcome, suspension is reduced.

I used to respect Shanahan so much as a player. But he's been on my sh*t list a while now. I guess he forgot what it was like during playoff hockey.
    Knowing the type of player Shanny was....I have a hard time thinking this is all him. I think he's just a puppet and a mouthpiece for Bettman.

So the extent of the injury is punished, not the intent or severity of the infraction? Wow. Fantasic work, NHL.

So when a guy is soft and fragile, the suspension is large despite the fact that the hit would leave 95% of NHL players uninjured. But then, when a total goon beats down a defenseless player who's laying on the ice, it's only a one game suspension because Boyle didn't get a concussion from it?

Yeah, because a high hit on a player is so much worse than raining fists on a defenseless player. Nobody is saying that Hagelin's hit was legal. It also wasn't offensively brutal and it certainly contained no intent to injure. Carkner's intent was clear, however - to beat the *(*@&$ out of a guy that Ottawa wasn't happy with.

Well played, NHL, well played.

Let's not even talk about the Dubinski game misconduct for trying to protect his fellow defenseless teammate. The ref just stands there and watches the one-sided fight. Maybe if the jackass had tried to pull Carkner off Boyle, Dubinski wouldn't have had to step in and do your job for him. Idiots.

Not to mention that Neil spent the entire game picking fights and acting like an all-around douche.

The bottom line is that the Sens knew they couldn't beat the Rangers in a skill game, so they set out to brawl in hopes of taking the Rangers out of their game. The Refs then allowed the Sens to carry it out, even though everyone on earth could blatantly see the dirty way they were going about it and what their intent was.

The Rangers better win this series.
    Yes, I'm a girl.

Forum Regular

Shanahan will be on with Boomer and Carton this morning.
    Winning is second to breathing!

The process of suspending players is something that the clubs will have to deal with in the off season. If enough of them get together and try to affect change, then something will be done about it.

Unfortunately in sports, you usually get teams complaining about something but never following through with their complaints at a later date.
    You see it in the NBA right now with how the refs are dealing out techs. Nobody likes it but none of them do anything about it.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Jacob Ruppert View Post
    Shanahan will be on with Boomer and Carton this morning.
    I hope Boomer, who is a huge Rangers fan, really goes after him.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

So much to take in from this. I'm utterly disgusted at the league. While I don't think there's a conspiracy against the Rangers, because really it's in the League's best interest for a NY team to be successful, it is amazingly inconsistent with discipline. I don't fully blame Shanahan, as I agree that he's a mouthpiece for Bettman, but he is being really nonsensical with the suspensions. It should be based on intent, not outcome. I don't care which way you rule, but for Weber to get fined $2,500 (when he makes 4.5M = .000555%) and Hagelin to lose 3 playoff games (which equates to a $23,000 loss in earnings) makes zero sense.

As for the game, the Sens clearly out played the Rangers for much of the game, and still took 2 fluky goals to win. I just hope the Rangers can stop the tide tonight, although losing Hagelin's speed on the top line will be quite detrimental. I just hope Boyle stays hot and Dubinsky stays pissed off.

You could see how frustrated Torts was after the game, but he knew enough to not go off on the refs (and this one in particular) yet again. He knows it's a lost cause and no need for him to waste another $20,000.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I hope Boomer, who is a huge Rangers fan, really goes after him.
    Darn. I turned it on and only caught the last 30 seconds. I'm sure he didn't say anything, but what did Shanny say?

I just caught the end of Shanahan's interview...he basically said the reason Hagelin got three was because Alfredsson got injured. Just...wow. Apparently, pre-meditated attacks are less important. Boomer was really getting on him for that. He also danced around the question about why Weber wasnt suspended, but almost indirectly was saying that he wasnt suspending a player like Weber early in a series.

AND...he also said Phillips didnt elbow Cally. WTF?? Does the league actually watch games or do they just throw darts at a board to decide punishment?

Carton also asked him if Alfredsson was in the lineup tonight....would he consider reducing the suspension. He said he would, and that the Rangers had until gametime to appeal the original ruling.

Carton also asked him if Alfredsson was in the lineup tonight....would he consider reducing the suspension. He said he would, and that the Rangers had until gametime to appeal the original ruling.
    Well it is ridiculous that they aren't appealing, regardless of Alfredsson's status.

Btw here's what I would do with the lines tonight:

Dubinsky-Richards-Gabby
    AA-Stepan-Cally
    Kreider-Boyle-Prust
    Rupp-Mitchell-Feds

Now's the time for Dubinsky to step up...we've been waiting for it all year. He got his big contract, and this team has been carrying him all season. With Hagelin out, we need him now more then ever. I'm giving him #1 line minutes because its really the best option we have (I guess you could try Arty up there too...he has played very well these first 2 games). He's gotta step up.

Boyle and Prust is a line that likes to get the puck in deep and cycle. Perfect for Kreider...you dont wanna ask too much of him. Keep it simple for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Well it is ridiculous that they aren't appealing, regardless of Alfredsson's status.
    Not sure why they arent....other then them feeling they can get by these next 3 games w/o him, and they'd have him ready either for a Game 6 or Game 1 next round. I dont know.

NYYF MVP

I heard the tail-end of that interview as well. Shanahan is clearly the wrong man for his position.

You guys got hosed with these rulings.
    28 in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I heard the tail-end of that interview as well. Shannahan is clearly the wrong man for his position.

You guys got hosed with these rulings.
    Cant wait till see how he handles the debacle yesterday between your team and the Pens. Asham and Neal should be hit for severe suspensions to say the least....totally expecting them to get off though.

NYYF Legend

Hat trick for Kreider.

Win the game tonight and this is a mostly mute point.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Hat trick for Kreider.
    A NY team scoring a hat trick against a Canadian team in the playoffs, is, according to Shanahan, a suspendable infraction.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF MVP

Cant wait till see how he handles the debacle yesterday between your team and the Pens. Asham and Neal should be hit for severe suspensions to say the least....totally expecting them to get off though.
    I'm guessing Asham gets 1 game and Neal gets nothing, but who knows.

It really is a shame that Shanahan has made himself a side story all year long with his inconsistency in an otherwise fantastic year for the NHL.
    28 in 2014

NYYF Legend

Is it true Hank and Tortorella argued after the game?

I heard that a couple of places.

Really? what could they have been arguing about

NYYF Legend

I can believe that. In the after game press interviews, Hank agreed with the reporter that the Rangers fell back too much late in the game trying to protect the lead and not going on the offense. In Tort's press conference, he barely answered any questions because of how pissed he was but he denied that they were playing to protect the lead. I'm with Hank on this one

Thread Information