Closed Thread
Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: Lets Go Rangers! 2011-2012 season thread

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.2836614

UFAs Vinny Prospal, Bryan McCabe and Alex Frolov won’t be back; Ruslan Fedotenko and Steve Eminger likely will, at the right prices. Local product Matt Gilroy proved his value in the playoffs, but will be back only at a reduced salary from his $1.75-million. Wojtek Wolski ($3.8-million salary next season) will almost certainly be bought out, given that 25-and-under players can be bought out at one-third of their cap hit; tougher decisions loom on captain Chris Drury and Sean Avery.
    Rangers: Stars center Brad Richards is the prime free-agent target on July 1, but sources say the team will not break the bank to squeeze Richards into a tight cap situation. They’ll be looking to add a veteran defenseman who can give some offense, either via trade or free agency, and if there’s room to add a good forward such as the Flyers’ Ville Leino, they will get creative with the salary cap to make it happen.

F a veteran "offensive defenseman."

It may not be too popular here, but I'd trade our first this year and Del Zotto if it guaranteed Ryan Murphy. I know the thought is that you don't trade an established player for a draft pick but Murphy is a stud. After his U-18 performance, its very unlikely that he falls past the top 6.

If teams are stupid enough to pass on him, I hope to hell we move a few picks to get him. I know that everyone is clamoring for a forward, but what this kid brings from the blueline is unlike anything we've had since Leetch in his prime.

NYYF Legend

http://insidehockey.com/?p=24655

It wasn’t just a coach’s desire, it was an organizational necessity.

When John Tortorella ranted about his team’s status after Game 82, when the Rangers were in limbo over making the playoffs, he did so because it was critical for his Rangers to advance into the post-season to further his young players’ development.

“I’m not going to name names, but I’ve had two or three guys say, ‘I don’t know why I struggled in the playoffs.’ There’s no answer. Because I can tell they’re beating themselves up,” Tortorella said of conversations he had during Monday’s break up day. “There’s not an answer until you get into another playoff series and you’re successful and you’ve gone through some experiences and then you play another round, maybe two, and you find your way. That’s when you realize how different it is, as far as whether it be uptight or just overwhelming, because I think a couple of guys were overwhelmed with it. But they wouldn’t understand being overwhelmed and how to learn from it until they get the opportunity.”
    I will have much, much more from break-up day in the coming days. Probably 4 or 5 stories spread out over the next week or two weeks.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Maybe the Rangers will have better luck this season since I didn't start the thread this year.

Will they still sell the heritage jerseys now that this season is over?

Quote Originally Posted by trentonthunder View Post
    Fire the management is the first step. Get rid of Gaborik, Drury, Lundquist, and anyone else who gets big money. Finish in last place for three or four years (while letting our young guys develop), draft, draft, draft, and we'll have a Stanley Cup in 10 years.

If not, if we follow the same business model under the current cap system, then continue to expect middle of the pack finishes with early exits from the playoffs. We ARE NOT a player or two from a serious run. No way, no shape, no how.
    I could not disagree more..

We are close.

We have an elite shutdown defense pairing in Girardi/Staal.
    We have a second pair coming on strong and who already have impressed in Sauer/McDonagh.
    We have a top world class goalie.
    We have two young and coming stars in Dubinsky and Callahan.
    We have a good crop of more up and coming players who showed great signs in Anisimov and Stepan.
    We have good hardworking players who can chip in and provide energy like Fedotenko, Boyle and Prust.
    We have an elite scoring talent who had a down year but also had no top line center to play with, who should bounce back.

In short, the pieces are there. Now, if we can add Brad Richards, add a PP quarterback (Shea Webber in my dreams, but someone who can at least be a PP QB) and see a guy like Krieder from BC who's a world class talent come up, and see some of the kids we have already take a step forward... That's some if's for sure, but not anything that is impossible, then we are right there..

Why should we break this down? They are not that far off.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I could not disagree more..

We are close.

We have an elite shutdown defense pairing in Girardi/Staal.
    We have a second pair coming on strong and who already have impressed in Sauer/McDonagh.
    We have a top world class goalie.
    We have two young and coming stars in Dubinsky and Callahan.
    We have a good crop of more up and coming players who showed great signs in Anisimov and Stepan.
    We have good hardworking players who can chip in and provide energy like Fedotenko, Boyle and Prust.
    We have an elite scoring talent who had a down year but also had no top line center to play with, who should bounce back.

In short, the pieces are there. Now, if we can add Brad Richards, add a PP quarterback (Shea Webber in my dreams, but someone who can at least be a PP QB) and see a guy like Krieder from BC who's a world class talent come up, and see some of the kids we have already take a step forward... That's some if's for sure, but not anything that is impossible, then we are right there..

Why should we break this down? They are not that far off.
    I like this post.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I could not disagree more.. TT is usually off the mark, thats nothing new.

We are close. Agreed

We have an elite shutdown defense pairing in Girardi/Staal. I love Girardi for all that he does, but he shouldn't be on a top pair. Im not advocating moving him, but we need to upgrade his spot.
    We have a second pair coming on strong and who already have impressed in Sauer/McDonagh. 1000000% Agree, especially McDonagh.
    We have a top world class goalie. Yup
    We have two young and coming stars in Dubinsky and Callahan. Great support players? sure, but stars? I don't know about that.
    We have a good crop of more up and coming players who showed great signs in Anisimov and Stepan. I've gushed over Stepan for a while now so I won't do it again, but Anisimov is a tricky case. He shows flashes but for what ever reason I just have a feeling he won't be able to put it all together. Of course if we trade him he will and we'll be kicking ourselves for a long time. Even if he doesn't tap out his potential, hes still Steve Rucchin in his later days.
    We have good hardworking players who can chip in and provide energy like Fedotenko, Boyle and Prust. I actually hope that Prust is the only long term part of the future of this group. We've got guys like Hagelin and Werek who can do what Feds and Boyle can do for much cheaper (and better with some experience)
    We have an elite scoring talent who had a down year but also had no top line center to play with, who should bounce back.The injuries combined with what ever was going on in his head were a big problem this year. He was MUCH more hesitant with the puck on his stick than he was last year.

In short, the pieces are there. Now, if we can add Brad Richards, add a PP quarterback (Shea Webber in my dreams, but someone who can at least be a PP QB) and see a guy like Krieder from BC who's a world class talent come up, and see some of the kids we have already take a step forward... That's some if's for sure, but not anything that is impossible, then we are right there.. Weber isn't a PP QB (Richards is though) but yeah, he's exactly the type of upgrade for the top pair that I'm talking about. I'd put Christian Thomas right there with Kreider. Hes alot like Stepan in the sense that when we drafted him his skill set was much more advanced than his body but if/when his body catches up, we're going to have a very effective player. We haven't had a shot like his since Jagr, maybe even Bure when he had his short stay in NY.

Why should we break this down? They are not that far off. Because tanking for 5 years in a row is the only way to build a winner!
    Responses in bold, but good post overall!

USA won their first game today against Austria by a score of 5-1.

Kreider got team USA on the board after blowing by a defender, dangling around another, making a power move to the net and eventually stuffing the puck past the Austrian goalie who came off his post too quickly. Kreider had an excellent game (could have had 2 or 3 goals and a few assists) and was named best player for team USA. Kreider also scored USA's exhibition game and hes scored at the WJC. Seems like he scores every where but BC...

Stepan had a strong game and finished with 2 assists. Picked up a secondary assist on the Kreider goal (the goal was pretty much all Kreider) and then a primary assist on Blake Wheeler's goal (give and go on a 3 on 2) that made it 2-0.

McDonagh logged the 2nd most ice time amongst defensemen and played a strong game. Spent time on a pair with both Jack Johnson and Kevin Shattenkirk.

Nice showing by our boys.

It's becoming more and more clear, Kreider's one of those guys that's built for the pro's and his game will explode once he leaves BC. I really really hope this is another Stepan situation.

I don't think he'll "explode" but hes got the type of skill set that will drive the opposition nuts.

USA Austria highlights here. Kreider's goal is the first clip and Stepan's assist is right after.

Good lord, someone please get Kreider out of BC. Kidnap him if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Good lord, someone please get Kreider out of BC. Kidnap him if necessary.
    Hopefully Stepan and McDonagh are talking some sense in to him.

Kreider with a Primary assist in a 4-2 win over Norway today. Actually all 3 of our guys picked up a point today.

I didn't see the game (got it dvr'd at home) so I have no idea how Kreider looked but Norway is a pretty decent team (knocked of Sweden in their first game) and every bit of production at this level should only help influence his decision to turn pro in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident View Post
    Kreider with a Primary assist in a 4-2 win over Norway today. Actually all 3 of our guys picked up a point today.

I didn't see the game (got it dvr'd at home) so I have no idea how Kreider looked but Norway is a pretty decent team (knocked of Sweden in their first game) and every bit of production at this level should only help influence his decision to turn pro in a few months.
    As a Boston University alum all I can say to Krieder is "screw BC, come play for the Rangers so I can start rooting for you boy!"
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Rangers trade Ethan Werek to Phoenix for Oscar Lindberg.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

We could use the help on faceoffs.

He recorded the league's best faceoff percentage in 2008-09 (63.4), 2009-10 (60.4) and 2010-11 (69.6).

Injuries each of the past two seasons really derailed Werek's development. The wrist problem he had this past year caused him to miss a good chunk of the season (May have been 20 games, if not more.)

Its amazing how he was a guy who would have gotten a long hard look if not for a hamstring/knee injury sustained in camp and now hes been shipped off about 8 months later.

I like Lindberg though. As mentioned above hes a beast at the dot and hes got a ton of untapped offensive ability. This move is a wash for me though, Coyotes got the bigger guy who is closer to playing in the NHL while we got the healthier guy with better skating legs and higher upside.

Way to be classy Todd Reynolds.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...ockey_age.html

Avery's video in support of gay marriage for the Human Rights Campaign's New Yorkers for Marriage Equality drive spurred hockey agent Todd Reynolds of Uptown Sports Management to write Monday night on the @uptownhockey Twitter account, "Very sad to read Sean Avery's misguided support of same-gender 'marriage'. Legal or not, it will always be wrong."

The agent also tweeted: "To clarify. This is not hatred or bigotry towards gays. It is not intolerance in any way shape or form. I believe we are all equal ... But I believe in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman. This is my personal viewpoint. I Do not hate anyone."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Amid months of speculation, sources confirm Philadelphia is the leading candidate for next year's Winter Classic.

The NHL hasn't officially signed off on the location, largely because of building availability in Philadelphia. The NHL would love to host the outdoor game at Lincoln Financial Field, but the NFL's schedule is making the football stadium virtually impossible, so Citizens Bank Park, the home of the Philadelphia Phillies, will likely be the venue of choice.

The Flyers will likely face the New York Rangers, but the Rangers are waiting for confirmation of their involvement.

The idea of watching John Tortorella co-exist with cameras invading the sanctity of his dressing room and private quarters will almost guarantee huge ratings for HBO's 24/7 leading up to the Winter Classic

I'm still pissed that Yankee Stadium has a BS bowl game that eliminates it from Winter Classic contention. Also don't like these teams getting two Winter Classics so quickly, but I guess that can't be helped as there's only so many cold weather teams in US cities.

NYR
    NYI
    NJD
    WASx
    BOSx
    BUFx
    PITxx
    PHIx
    MIN
    DETx
    CHIx

The ones with x have participated in a Winter Classic already.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I'm still pissed that Yankee Stadium has a BS bowl game that eliminates it from Winter Classic contention. Also don't like these teams getting two Winter Classics so quickly, but I guess that can't be helped as there's only so many cold weather teams in US cities.

NYR
    NYI
    NJD
    WASx
    BOSx
    BUFx
    PITxx
    PHIx
    MIN
    DETx
    CHIx

The ones with x have participated in a Winter Classic already.
    NBC also wants ratings which explains why Minnesota, NYI and NJ have yet to be in one of these games yet. Just look at how NBC plans out their usual Sunday regular season schedule---when is their a game not on that doesnt involve NYR, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston or Washington?

Some chatter on the BC boards that Kreider is leaving. Take it with a grain of salt.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...70#post5139370
    http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/show...d=1007&style=2

The guy who first mentioned it seems to be well respected on the board, and he broke the Philip Samuelsson to Pittsburgh signing.

Derek Boogaard passed away at 28.

https://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/st...25811743481856

Awful news: Derek Boogaard was found dead today in his Minneapolis apartment by members of his family. He was 28

Quote Originally Posted by AMYanks View Post
    OMG that's horrible. And really scary. RIP

WTF is with Rangers playing dropping dead in recent years......unreal

Quote Originally Posted by AMYanks View Post
    Some chatter on the BC boards that Kreider is leaving. Take it with a grain of salt.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...70#post5139370
    http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/show...d=1007&style=2

The guy who first mentioned it seems to be well respected on the board, and he broke the Philip Samuelsson to Pittsburgh signing.
    I've interacted with him on other boards before and I don't necessarily doubt him, but I'll just say for myself that I've heard absolutely nothing from my BC blog buddies, some of whom have contacts in BC Athletics. It may be happening, since he's going to go to the NHL one way or another, but I can't confirm or deny it and I've heard nothing in the way of chatter.

On the other news, it's sad to hear about Boogaard.

Thread Information