+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1084

Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Another thing people care way too much about.
    seriously. we worry too much about this kinda stuff when we should be trying to figure out if Nick Cage or Keanu Reeves is the worst actor in the history of film.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    seriously. we worry too much about this kinda stuff when we should be trying to figure out if Nick Cage or Keanu Reeves is the worst actor in the history of film.
    Much more important. Jeter's getting into the HOF on the first ballot, and whether it's with 94% or 98% or 100% doesn't really matter to me.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Much more important. Jeter's getting into the HOF on the first ballot, and whether it's with 94% or 98% or 100% doesn't really matter to me.
    I actually agree. He's a sure thing to make it so I am fine with whatever percentage there is. However there is a conversation to be had about the 1st player to crack the 100% only because it's never happened. May be unimportant but it's still interesting.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    As Reno said, no chance (well, I guess he might beat Seaver's %, but he still won't get 100%). Players of his caliber aren't left off ballots because they alienated anyone and gave them a reason. They're left off because Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams, etc... weren't unanimous and some writers figure that means no one should be. If they thought that when voting for Tom Seaver, there's not much reason they won't still think it when voting for Derek Jeter.
    You're probably correct about this.

Another thing people care way too much about.
    You do tend to be difficult, don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I actually agree. He's a sure thing to make it so I am fine with whatever percentage there is. However there is a conversation to be had about the 1st player to crack the 100% only because it's never happened. May be unimportant but it's still interesting.
    I dont think the "number of seasons with 100 runs" record is really worth the time to discuss, but the media does a nice job pulling us into these things. So now I am actually rootin for Jeter to score a run tonight for more than just "i hope they win" reasons.

I feel dirty and used by the media
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I actually like those little tid bits. It seems as if everything Jeter does right now he is climbing higher on some chart and passing big time HOF players. And he still has time left to continue. I think it's amazing.

it is amazing, but at the same time totally a media invention to keep viewers engaged.

Jeter has the most left field hits from a right handed batter with a full moon during a tuesday night game... it just seems so manufactured sometimes.

And it works, no doubt it works.

while I agree that some stats are silly, runs scored I think is an important stat. I know it's got a lot to do with your team but it also speaks volumes on you getting on base and your baserunning skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    You do tend to be difficult, don't you.
    I didn't coin the phrase, but I embraced it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Jeter and Mariano both deserve to get 100% of the vote when they are HOF eligible. There is absolutely no reason anyone can give that is baseball-related for not voting for them.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Jeter and Mariano both deserve to get 100% of the vote when they are HOF eligible. There is absolutely no reason anyone can give that is baseball-related for not voting for them.
    That's never mattered before - with even more deserving candidates - so I don't see why it should start mattering now.
    - Barry Manilow

That's never mattered before - with even more deserving candidates - so I don't see why it should start mattering now.
    because it should always matter...anyone who says "I didn't vote for Tom Seaver because Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous" should get their HOF vote taken away. Same for Rivera, Jeter, etc.

I can see not thinking Blyleven was not a HOF player (for example). But Seaver? Ricky Henderson? Jeter? Rivera?

Not voting for those players as being worthy of the Hall of Fame shows a lack of knowledge of baseball.

because it should always matter...anyone who says "I didn't vote for Tom Seaver because Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous" should get their HOF vote taken away. Same for Rivera, Jeter, etc.

I can see not thinking Blyleven was not a HOF player (for example). But Seaver? Ricky Henderson? Jeter? Rivera?

Not voting for those players as being worthy of the Hall of Fame shows a lack of knowledge of baseball.
    Yes, the BBWAA is a terrible and incompetent organization filled with douchebags and assholes. That's also why they're about to completely blow the MVP vote again.

1. Pete Rose ------------ 4,256
    2. Ty Cobb ------------.. 4,189
    3. Hank Aaron ---------- 3,771
    4. Stan Musial ---------- 3,630
    5. Tris Speaker -----..... 3,514
    6. Carl Yastrzemski ---.. 3,419
    7. Honus Wagner ------. 3,415
    8. Paul Molitor ------..... 3,319
    9. Eddie Collins -----..... 3,315
    10. Derek Jeter -------.... 3,304
    11. Willie Mays ------...... 3,283
    12. Eddie Murray ------... 3,255
    13. Nap Lajoie ---------... 3,252
    14. Cal Ripken Jr. -------. 3,184
    15. George Brett --------. 3,154
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

^^^
    That leaves out Cap Anson, who b-r lists ahead of Jeter. They (rightly, I believe) include Anson's time in the NA, which was considered a major league at the time.

Jeter is only 131 hits behind Anson, so he should pass him next year if he's healthy.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

If Cal Ripkin didn't get 100%, nobody will. However, if the votes were made public, I bet Jeter and Mo would get 100%. These BBWAA people email eachother to ensure at least somebody votes no to keep it from being unanimous because they know the public wont' know who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    If Cal Ripkin didn't get 100%, nobody will. However, if the votes were made public, I bet Jeter and Mo would get 100%. These BBWAA people email eachother to ensure at least somebody votes no to keep it from being unanimous because they know the public wont' know who it was.
    There are guys who have publicly taken the stance that they won't vote for anyone from the "steroid era." These are monumentally stupid and arrogant people who want to make this as much about them as they can. There are probably at least a dozen BBWAA guys who couldn't be more excited to be the guys who voted against Jeter or Rivera so that they can give a douchey press statement and get more attention for a little while.

He has an outside shot at moving into the top 5 all-time in hits next year and, if he's healthy, will definitely move into the top 6.

I doubt he'll move into the top five, but with another season like this, he will. Which is nuts.

^^^
    That leaves out Cap Anson, who b-r lists ahead of Jeter. They (rightly, I believe) include Anson's time in the NA, which was considered a major league at the time.

Jeter is only 131 hits behind Anson, so he should pass him next year if he's healthy.
    I took that list off Baseball America.

Isn't that like the baseball encyclopedia?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

^^^

Going back to when he signed his last contract, I was hoping he'd have a shot of catching Tris Speaker and reaching #5 on the list by the end of 2013. He's now a lock (if healthy) to get to #6 by then, and he's certainly shown he's capable of reaching the 211 hits necessary to be #5.

Rose, Cobb, Aaron, Musial, Jeter. That sounds real, real nice.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post

Thats some pretty elite company

BTW what happened to you last night, I didn't see you in the game thread at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Sadly, it is probably true.
    Probably?
    Definitely.
    The voters are dix.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Going back to when he signed his last contract, I was hoping he'd have a shot of catching Tris Speaker and reaching #5 on the list by the end of 2013. He's now a lock (if healthy) to get to #6 by then, and he's certainly shown he's capable of reaching the 211 hits necessary to be #5.

And if he does that, he'll probably pick up his option, and with 2014, it would be:

Rose, Cobb, Aaron, Jeter.

Most hits, Age 38 (Over 200 hits)

Jeter, 216
    Rose, 208
    Daubert, 205
    Rice, 202

Most hits, Age 39
    Molitor, 225
    Rice, 199

Just one guy had over 200 hits at age 39. Only 8 had 170 or more.

Jeter will need a season for the ages (or aged) next year.

Thread Information