+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1084
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

Of all the ways to measure Jeterís greatness ó five World Series rings, club-record 3,296 hits, .307 postseason batting average ó the most telling statistic associated with him is this: During Jeterís 18 seasons in the big leagues, the Yankees were mathematically eliminated prior to taking the field for five regular season games. Five. In nearly two decades. All of them came at the end of 2008, and Jeter, who was injured, only played in one of them.
    I wish now that Jeter did not play in that one game. What a cool stat if he had been mathematically in the playoff hunt for every game of his ML career...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

As far as I know, Jeter has never been ejected from a game. I have no idea what the record might be for most games without an ejection, but I've always appreciated that about him.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    As far as I know, Jeter has never been ejected from a game. I have no idea what the record might be for most games without an ejection, but I've always appreciated that about him.
    Stan Musial was never ejected in 3026 MLB games.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Stan Musial was never ejected in 3026 MLB games.
    Is that the record? Is there a ranking somewhere? I have to imagine that record-keeping for this is pretty spotty.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Is that the record? Is there a ranking somewhere? I have to imagine that record-keeping for this is pretty spotty.
    Well, it certainly narrows the field a lot. Musial is tied with Eddie Murray for games played, behind Rose, Yastrzemski, Aaron, Henderson and Cobb.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, it certainly narrows the field a lot. Musial is tied with Eddie Murray for games played, behind Rose, Yastrzemski, Aaron, Henderson and Cobb.
    I've seen Henderson ejected, and there's no way that Cobb and Rose never got ejected.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I've seen Henderson ejected, and there's no way that Cobb and Rose never got ejected.
    That's what I figured, too. Yaz and Aaron are possible, though I doubt it; the others, no way.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
    Nice job digging that up!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
    Cool - thanks for the research.

It'd be interesting to see how Aaron would do today with all the ridiculous calls we see. Granted, I imagine most of his arguements would still probably be ball/strike, but it would be a real test of his restraint.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Congrats, most hits since 1999 (219) - 215!

99 runs scored. Derek needs one more to reach 100 for the 14th season which is one season from tying the record of 15 with Hank Aaron.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Fan View Post
    Congrats, most hits since 1999 (219) - 215!

99 runs scored. Derek needs one more to reach 100 for the 14th season which is one season from tying the record of 15 with Hank Aaron.
    The more I read about this thread, the more I realise how amazing Hank Aaron is.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The more I read about this thread, the more I realise how amazing Hank Aaron is.
    ^ this is perfect. As they say -- Well done, Sir.

(I read it as, Mr. Aaron being in exclusively good company now. ).

EDIT; Apologies if wrong. I ASSuME y'all are as old as I am, and have already known for years about HA's greatness.
    Last edited by HerbieLee20; 10-03-12 at 11:44 AM.

Got a chance to visit Cooperstown this summer and they have a fantastic display dedicated to him. If you're the kind of person that gets inspired by Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron is right up there with him (in addition to being an even greater ballplayer). I wish I could meet him.

I've always considered him one of the best, but never realized how many records he actually held. Or where he ranked on the ones he didn't. It is amazing. Makes me even more proud of being able to have seen Jeter's entire career for him to be put right up there with him in almost everything Jeter has excelled at.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

He was so consistantly good for so long. From 1955 - 1973, age 21-39, he put up an OPS+ between 141 - 194 in EVERY year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

As a boy I thought, Derek Jeter is the only Rookie Card I have thats going to make me money. I have alot to thank Jeter for, I got into Yankee baseball as a boy because of Jeter and while I've seen better overall players in terms of power throughout my life(Albert Pujols Ken Griffey jr. come to mind) I have never seen a ballplayer who has been as consistant and as clutch as Mr. November. to be ranked up with Hank Aaron is a increadable honor in itself and I know Jeter has always been a class act. Thanks for everything Derek Jeter, I know you own New York and quite honestly if I had a chance to meet one MLB player it would be you.

NYYF Legend

So, 7, 8, 9, 10 years from now when Derek Jeter is eligible for the Hall of Fame, what is the likelihood that he becomes the first player ever to receive 100% of the vote? (Current highest percentage: Tom Seaver at 98.84% in 1992.)

While he can't be classified as a media darling because he never gives anything up in an interview, he certainly hasn't alienated them a la Eddie Murray or Jim Rice and given them reason to not vote him in on the first ballot. Also, and I believe this is a big point, Jeter has been the face of Major League Baseball for a LONG time, during a period when the sport has desperately needed an untarnished face.

I think he could do it or minimally top Seaver's percentage. Obviously, we have a long wait to know the answer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    So, 7, 8, 9, 10 years from now when Derek Jeter is eligible for the Hall of Fame, what is the likelihood that he becomes the first player ever to receive 100% of the vote? (Current highest percentage: Tom Seaver at 98.84% in 1992.)
    0% chance of this happening

NYYF Legend

Why? I mean unless real PED acusations come up on him between now and hall vote (not Skip Bayless wild speculation because of good year) who is going to vote against him? Didn't the last guy who did that get roasted for not voting for Nolan Ryan or something like that? I mean it is likely that 1 or 2 don't vote for him on 1st ballot but I think the chance is higher than 0% that he's the first unanomous selection. That is unless Greg Maddux beats him to it when he beomes eligible in 2013.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I think he could do it or minimally top Seaver's percentage. Obviously, we have a long wait to know the answer for sure.
    As Reno said, no chance (well, I guess he might beat Seaver's %, but he still won't get 100%). Players of his caliber aren't left off ballots because they alienated anyone and gave them a reason. They're left off because Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams, etc... weren't unanimous and some writers figure that means no one should be. If they thought that when voting for Tom Seaver, there's not much reason they won't still think it when voting for Derek Jeter.

Sadly, it is probably true.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

I'll go on record as saying Greg Maddux will be the first ever to get 100% of the vote. I think after that is broken we may see some more get 100%.
    Baseball is life;

There are guys who turn in blank ballots every year, just because they're assholes. Jeter isn't getting 100%, and neither will anyone else anytime soon.

Another thing people care way too much about.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information