+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

I really hope Jeter makes it to the hit record. But let's hope he doesn't stay around too long to do it. It wouldn't help his defense statistics and unlike Rose, he doesn't play several positions. However, the race should be a joy to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    He was allowed to participate in the All-Century team event, IIRC.
    Jim Gray confirms your recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    I really hope Jeter makes it to the hit record. But let's hope he doesn't stay around too long to do it. It wouldn't help his defense statistics and unlike Rose, he doesn't play several positions. However, the race should be a joy to see.
    Oh boy, we will not sign Swish because of his alleged contract demands and we can probably bring back Ichiro cheap. Here comes the move to left field argument .

P.S. Joking, I know Gardner will be back (or will he) .
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    P.S. Joking, I know Gardner will be back (or will he) .
    Only the Elbow Gods know for sure.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

0-for-5 today. He's washed up. Time to bring up a kid from AAA.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Is it surprising that Jeter is still this good?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Is it surprising that Jeter is still this good?

No His 2010 and first half of 2011 were flukes. Jeter had nagging injuries and the pressure to reach 3000 affected his performance then. Jeter is prideful of talents and works hard to keep his skills at a high level. Nothing he does surprises me. He's good for another two to three years at this performance level

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    No His 2010 and first half of 2011 were flukes. Jeter had nagging injuries and the pressure to reach 3000 affected his performance then. Jeter is prideful of talents and works hard to keep his skills at a high level. Nothing he does surprises me. He's good for another two to three years at this performance level

Andy
    I have a hard time calling a year and a half of games a fluke. It's clear that Jeter has changed his approach at the plate to some degree. He's gotten more aggressive, which has likely compensated for his slower bat-speed, while costing him a good portion of his walks.

This might be a figment of my imagination, but it really feels like Jeter is incredibly streaky in the power department. I feel like, every year, he hits a bunch of home runs in a short time, and then hits none for months. Then he hits a bunch more in a clump.

not that surprising, primarily because hits totals are not that interesting of an indicator of production
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I have a hard time calling a year and a half of games a fluke. It's clear that Jeter has changed his approach at the plate to some degree. He's gotten more aggressive, which has likely compensated for his slower bat-speed, while costing him a good portion of his walks.

This might be a figment of my imagination, but it really feels like Jeter is incredibly streaky in the power department. I feel like, every year, he hits a bunch of home runs in a short time, and then hits none for months. Then he hits a bunch more in a clump.

When I said fluke, i meant it in the context of his total career. And as I said during those 1 1/2 years he was hampered by several nagging injuries and finally the pressure of coming near to the magical 3000 hits level

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    When I said fluke, i meant it in the context of his total career. And as I said during those 1 1/2 years he was hampered by several nagging injuries and finally the pressure of coming near to the magical 3000 hits level

Andy
    Right, but a fluke means an unexplainable statistical anomaly. That's not what happened. He simply wasn't that good for a while, because he was old and his bat speed slowed. Now he's hitting again, but his walk rate is way down, which indicates to me that he's sacrificing patience to get his bat started more quickly.

Right, but a fluke means an unexplainable statistical anomaly. That's not what happened.
    Agreed but ...

He simply wasn't that good for a while, because he was old and his bat speed slowed. Now he's hitting again, but his walk rate is way down, which indicates to me that he's sacrificing patience to get his bat started more quickly.
    ... while this is a perfectly defensible analysis, it's also possible that nagging minor injuries, an ill-advised attempt to change his approach at the plate, and the pressure of approaching 3,000 hits were equally important factors in that bad stretch.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Agreed but ...

... while this is a perfectly defensible analysis, it's also possible that nagging minor injuries, an ill-advised attempt to change his approach at the plate, and the pressure of approaching 3,000 hits were equally important factors in that bad stretch.
    For a season and a half? And now Jeter can't handle pressure? Derek Jeter?

Well.... he did say so himself, that the pressure was mounting to get the 3000th hit.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Nobody's saying he can't handle pressure, but for the first half of 2011 I do believe he was pressing. After the 5-hit game that got him to 3,000, Jeter gave one of the most refreshingly honest and open interviews of his career, where he basically admitted he'd been feeling the pressure. These guys are human beings.

And no, I am not claiming that the 3,000 hit thing accounts for a year and a half. I'm saying that the first half of 2011 was affected by two things: (a) the failed experiment with the new stance and (b) negative media attention / pressing for 3,000 hits.

I don't have a specific explanation (excuse) for 2010, except to say there have been times in Jeter's career where a small nagging injury (HBP, etc.) affected him for weeks or months, and I thought I remembered him going through a few things like that in 2010. Can't say for sure. Jeter himself simply said he had a "down year" and that it happens to everyone. So he's basically calling it a statistical anomaly, but of course nobody needs to take that as fact.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Most hits in age 38 season (age as of June 30 of season)

1: Pete Rose, 208 (1979)
    2: Jake Daubert, 205 (1922)
    3: Sam Rice, 202 (1928)
    4: Derek Jeter, 183 (2012)

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

It's still difficult to believe that at the age of 38 he is having the year that he is having. I hope this latest injury doesn't prevent him from getting 200 hits.

NYYF Legend

Interesting B-R includes Cap Anson as #6 http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...H_career.shtml but Elias throws him out becuase he plaayed before 1900?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Interesting B-R includes Cap Anson as #6 http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...H_career.shtml but Elias throws him out becuase he plaayed before 1900?
    Maybe they don't count the five years he played in the National Association before the founding of the National League in 1876. That would bring him down to 3012.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Nice comments from Willie Mays:
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/artic...3872&oid=36019
    “When you have a record or whatever it may be, there’s always someone that’s going to pass you,” Mays said. “You can’t just stand still all the time. I don’t care what business you’re in or what sport you’re in. Someone is going to pass you. And you can’t find a better kid like that to pass you and enjoy what he’s doing.”

In a telephone interview on Friday, Mays, who is 81 years old, praised Jeter as a player whose value stretches beyond the statistics. But Mays’ most incredible compliment about Jeter came when Mays said Jeter plays the game the way he played it throughout a Hall of Fame career.

“I like Jeter because of this: He plays for the Yankees, he plays for the joy of the game, he plays for the team,” Mays said. “I think that’s what I liked to play for. Enjoy the nine guys you had on the field and make them better around you. I think that’s what he does.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Nice comments from Willie Mays
    Definitely. First class all the way.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

What a name to pass: Willie Mays
    Congrats Derek!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    It's still difficult to believe that at the age of 38 he is having the year that he is having. I hope this latest injury doesn't prevent him from getting 200 hits.
    He's using stem cells in place of PEDs
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

Any reason you feel a need to knock Jeter?

Andy

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    What is this blasphemy you type?

Thread Information