+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy says:

"Due to discrepancies in historical stats, some numbers may differ, according to the source. Elias is the official statistician of Major League Baseball and recognizes Nap Lajoie as having 3,252 hits while other historical sources believe Lajoie had 3,242 hits, which would give Jeter sole possession of 12th place on the all-time career hits list. Lajoie played from 1896-1916 and spent time with Philadelphia and Cleveland."
    And most sources count Cap Anson's totals in the National Association as official, while others do not.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NEXT UP

EDDIE MURRAY

1. Pete Rose ------------ 4,256
    2. Ty Cobb ------------.. 4,189
    3. Hank Aaron ---------- 3,771
    4. Stan Musial ---------- 3,630
    5. Tris Speaker -----..... 3,514
    6. Carl Yastrzemski ---.. 3,419
    7. Honus Wagner ------. 3,415
    8. Paul Molitor ------..... 3,319
    9. Eddie Collins -----..... 3,315
    10. Willie Mays ------...... 3,283
    11. Eddie Murray ------... 3,255
    12. Derek Jeter -------.... 3,247
    13. Nap Lajoie ---------... 3,242
    14. Cal Ripken, Jr. ------- 3,184
    15. George Brett --------. 3,154

Barring injuries, Jeter should pass Murray, Mays, Collins & Molitor and end this season at #8 all-time.

Next season he passes Wagner and Yaz for #6, with a chance to surpass Tris Speaker for #5 with another 200 hit season.

I think its pretty clear that he's catching Musial & Aaron as well, barring injuries #3 is in the bag, the real question is, can he catch Cobb & Rose?

Lastly, its amazing too me that he is not crawling towards these immortals past his prime, but going full steam ahead, leading the league in hits and hitting .320 - that is the stunning part of all this. At Jeter's age most of these guys were shells of their former selves.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    NEXT UP

EDDIE MURRAY

Barring injuries, Jeter should pass Murray, Mays, Collins & Molitor and end this season at #8 all-time.

Next season he passes Wagner and Yaz for #6, with a chance to surpass Tris Speaker for #5 with another 200 hit season.

I think its pretty clear that he's catching Musial & Aaron as well, barring injuries #3 is in the bag, the real question is, can he catch Cobb & Rose?

Lastly, its amazing too me that he is not crawling towards these immortals past his prime, but going full steam ahead, leading the league in hits and hitting .320 - that is the stunning part of all this. At Jeter's age most of these guys were shells of their former selves.
    To pass molitor, he would need a total of 232 hits this year. He is on pace for 220. He will likely pass Mays, thats it.

NYYF Legend

NEXT UP

EDDIE MURRAY

I love your optimism, but lets look at it realistically. The Yanks have 44 games left. Jeter is on a pace to finish with 215 hits unless the rigors of the season tires him out and slows him down. If he finishes at 215, he will wind up with 3303 hits for his career.That puts him in 10th place just below Collins.

To finish in 5th place just above Seaker he needs 211 hits in the 2013 season. At Jeters age of 38 Rose had 3382 hits, but he slowed down markedly after that playing till he was 45 years ago. I am not sure Jeter wants to do that or the Yankees will let him.

One more thing to note Jeter has 191 postseason hits. I am not sure where that stands career record wise but it has to be up there.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I love your optimism, but lets look at it realistically. The Yanks have 44 games left. Jeter is on a pace to finish with 215 hits unless the rigors of the season tires him out and slows him down. If he finishes at 215, he will wind up with 3303 hits for his career.That puts him in 10th place just below Collins.

To finish in 5th place just above Seaker he needs 211 hits in the 2013 season. At Jeters age of 38 Rose had 3382 hits, but he slowed down markedly after that playing till he was 45 years ago. I am not sure Jeter wants to do that or the Yankees will let him.

One more thing to note Jeter has 191 postseason hits. I am not sure where that stands career record wise but it has to be up there.

Andy
    baseball-reference.com has Rose at 3372 hits.

Though the age of 38:

1) Cobb - 3821
    2) Aaron - 3391
    3) Rose - 3372
    4) Speaker - 3292
    5) Jeter - 3247 (and counting)

All-time Post-Season hits, dominated by recent Yankees and Braves

1) Jeter - 191
    2) Bernie Williams - 128
    3) Manny Ramirez - 117
    4) Posada - 103
    5) Lofton - 97
    6) Chipper Jones - 96
    7) David Justice - 89
    8) Pujols - 88
    9) Pete Rose - 86
    10) O'Neill - 85

I believe those numbers are through Rose's age 38 season. Rose turned 38 at the beginning of the season. Jeter turned 38 almost 3 months later. Jeter should have more hits than Rose through his actual 38 age rather than 38 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob420 View Post
    I believe those numbers are through Rose's age 38 season. Rose turned 38 at the beginning of the season. Jeter turned 38 almost 3 months later. Jeter should have more hits than Rose through his actual 38 age rather than 38 season.
    Baseball-reference counts a season age as of June 30. So this entire season is Jeter's age 38 season.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Baseball-reference counts a season age as of June 30. So this entire season is Jeter's age 38 season.
    Let's do it by the exact number of days. So Jeter is age 38, 50-something days or so. How many hits did Rose have at that exact same age?
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Let's do it by the exact number of days. So Jeter is age 38, 50-something days or so. How many hits did Rose have at that exact same age?
    Rose had 3,239 hits at the same age. He'll probably trail Jeter the rest of this season, then pass him during the off-season and at opening day next year Jeter will have fewer hits than Rose did at the same age.

To pass molitor, he would need a total of 232 hits this year. He is on pace for 220. He will likely pass Mays, thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

I stand corrected ... obviously math was not by best subject
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

250 Career HR.

Congrats Derek!

Addicted Member

1st in the Majors in hits with number 160! Suck on that, Melky!
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Jeter is now only the 6th person in MLB history to have 3200 hits and 250 HR for their career.

Derek Jeter is now only the 2nd person in MLB history to have 3200 hits, 300 SB and 250 HR for their career. Willie Mays is the other.

Jeter is now only the 6th person in MLB history to have 3200 hits and 250 HR for their career.
    That's a lot of home runs for a guy who doesn't hit a lot of home runs.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    That's a lot of home runs for a guy who doesn't hit a lot of home runs.
    Now tied for 9th all time in Yankee homers. He's hit more homers as a Yankee than Mattingly, Giambi, Winfield, Reggie, Maris, Tino, O'Neill, Skowron, Pepitone and Howard. Yes, he has a lot more at-bats than all of them, but it's still hard to believe if you're not looking at the leader board.
    Let the kids play.

Jeter has more career HR than:

Hack Wilson (30 HR four times, Including 56 one year)
    Jessie Barfield (25 HR, five times)
    Johnny Damon
    Don Mattingly
    Ben Oglivie (41 HR one year)
    MOOOOOOOOSE Skowron

Never would have thunk it

Forum Regular

If the old stadium was the "House that Ruth built", the new one is fast becoming the "House that Jeter built"

NEXT UP

EDDIE MURRAY

Passing Aaron would be an incredible accomplishment. He would join Aaron, I believe, as the only two players in baseball history to retire with nobody ahead of him on both the all time HR and hit lists.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Passing Aaron would be an incredible accomplishment. He would join Aaron, I believe, as the only two players in baseball history to retire with nobody ahead of him on both the all time HR and hit lists.
    Wouldn't Pete Rose be there with them?

NYYF Legend

Derek Jeter is now in the company of just one other player in major-league history when it comes those who have posted at least 3,000 hits, 1,200 RBI, 300 steals and 250 homers.

That would be Willie Mays.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/08/1...ce-of-history/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Wouldn't Pete Rose be there with them?
    Yes...you are correct. As would Bonds.

Bad mistake on my part....(I guess I was eager to forget two bozos in Bonds and Rose while recognizing Jeter and Aaron.)

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    What???? Explain....

jeter is not going to retire the all-time hit king by passing Aaron. And he will not be the HR leader.

What???? Explain....

jeter is not going to retire the all-time hit king by passing Aaron. And he will not be the HR leader.
    I'm saying if he passes Aaron, there will be no players ahead of him on both lists. Right now, Hank Aaron is ahead of him on both the hit list as well as the home run list....as are Willie Mays, Yaz, Stan Musial, and Eddie Murray (I think that's it).

But if he passes Aaron, nobody will be ahead of him on both. Of course, as another poster corrected me on, Rose and Bonds can say the same thing.

It's a quirky little statement, admittedly, but it's kind of an interesting perspective on a guy who is sometimes knocked for not having enough power and not having gaudy statistics.

It obviously doesn't make him a better offensive player than a lot of people about whom the same can't be said (the fact that Aaron has 3700+ hits to go with his home runs is mind-blowing), but it's still a pretty impressive spot to be in.

But that's stupid. Ruth retired as the all-time HR king, so nobody was ahead of him on both the HR and H list. Cobb retired as the all-time Hit king, so nobody was ahead of him on both lists. Roger Connor retired as the all-time HR king, so nobody was ahead of him on both lists. Cap Anson retired as the all-time Hits king, so nobody was ahead of him on both lists.

SO....what was your point?

Thread Information