+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 ... LastLast
Results 776 to 800 of 1084
  1. #776
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    2014 is a player option, though. It's Jeter's decision whether he plays for $8M or walks away for $3M.
    The $8M goes up based on performance.

    http://blog.nj.com/yankees/2010/12/d...ters_deal.html

    Jeter has an $8 mill player option for the 2014 season that can be declined for a $3 mill buyout. There are various performance options that apply to the first 3 years and could cause his 2014 salary to rise to $17 million. Here are those performance options--

    $4 million if he wins an MVP award
    $2 million if he finishes second through sixth in MVP voting
    $1.5 million if he wins a Silver Slugger
    $500,000 if he wins a Gold Glove
    $500,000 if he wins an LCS MVP award
    $500,000 if he wins a World Series MVP award

    I don't think he's winning MVP this year, but could finish 2nd through 6th, which would make it a $10m option. He could get the Silver Slugger this year, too, making it $11,500,000. A GG making it $12,000,000 would make it very interesting if he stays for the money or tests FA again.

    He's making $16m this year, and $12m would probably be a lot more than anyone would sign him for anyway.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  2. #777
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    The $8M goes up based on performance.

    http://blog.nj.com/yankees/2010/12/d...ters_deal.html

    Jeter has an $8 mill player option for the 2014 season that can be declined for a $3 mill buyout. There are various performance options that apply to the first 3 years and could cause his 2014 salary to rise to $17 million. Here are those performance options--

    $4 million if he wins an MVP award
    $2 million if he finishes second through sixth in MVP voting
    $1.5 million if he wins a Silver Slugger
    $500,000 if he wins a Gold Glove
    $500,000 if he wins an LCS MVP award
    $500,000 if he wins a World Series MVP award

    I don't think he's winning MVP this year, but could finish 2nd through 6th, which would make it a $10m option. He could get the Silver Slugger this year, too, making it $11,500,000. A GG making it $12,000,000 would make it very interesting if he stays for the money or tests FA again.

    He's making $16m this year, and $12m would probably be a lot more than anyone would sign him for anyway.
    I don't think he really has a shot at the top 6 for the MVP. I am not a fan of relying on WAR for these types of things, but the fact is that he isn't in the top 50 in the AL makes me doubtful he is going to come close to achieving that contract milestone.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  3. #778
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't think he really has a shot at the top 6 for the MVP. I am not a fan of relying on WAR for these types of things, but the fact is that he isn't in the top 50 in the AL makes me doubtful he is going to come close to achieving that contract milestone.
    I could see the writers getting together to vote Jeter up in the MVP voting just to get the Yankees to pay more
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

  4. #779
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    The $8M goes up based on performance.

    http://blog.nj.com/yankees/2010/12/d...ters_deal.html

    Jeter has an $8 mill player option for the 2014 season that can be declined for a $3 mill buyout. There are various performance options that apply to the first 3 years and could cause his 2014 salary to rise to $17 million. Here are those performance options--

    $4 million if he wins an MVP award
    $2 million if he finishes second through sixth in MVP voting
    $1.5 million if he wins a Silver Slugger
    $500,000 if he wins a Gold Glove
    $500,000 if he wins an LCS MVP award
    $500,000 if he wins a World Series MVP award
    The difference between $17,000,000 and $8,000,000 is $9,000,000, which is what the bonuses add up to, but he can't get the first two in the same season so that would make the maximum value $15,000,000 if he won MVP. If the same bonus could be claimed in multiple seasons like 2012 and 2013 then the maximum 2014 value would be more than $17,000,000.

  5. #780
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    2014 is a player option, though. It's Jeter's decision whether he plays for $8M or walks away for $3M.

    Or he, knowing how much under the cap benefits the Yankees, could sign something like an 8 year "personal services " contract for say $3-4 mil a year. Both parties benefit. No way Jeter will test FA market. He wants to retire a Yankee and stay at SS as long as he feels he isn't hurting the team

    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  6. #781
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    He joined Hank Aaron as the only players with 17 consecutive 150 hit seasons.

  7. #782
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    How awesome is that? ^
    Last edited by mr.roy; 08-11-12 at 07:42 PM.

  8. #783
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    He is just 5 hits away from passing Nap Lajoie for 13th place on the all-time hits list.

    10. Eddie Collins 3315
    11. Willie Mays 3283
    12. Eddie Murray 3255
    13. Nap Lajoie 3242
    14. Derek Jeter 3238

    No chance to pass Collins this year, but passing the great Willie Mays is probable.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  9. #784

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    If Mike Trout gets into a batting slump, he has a shot at the batting title.

    If he finishes with a .330+ average he'll finish in the top 5 for MVP voting

  10. #785
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by RF21 View Post
    If Mike Trout gets into a batting slump, he has a shot at the batting title.

    If he finishes with a .330+ average he'll finish in the top 5 for MVP voting
    He's at .318 right now.

    He's on pace for 688 AB. That's 227 Hits. He's at 153, in 481 AB.

    207 AB, 74 Hits. .358 BA.

    .330 is not likely.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  11. #786
    Legend DJ27's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Black Hills

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He joined Hank Aaron as the only players with 17 consecutive 150 hit seasons.
    Mr. Consistent.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

  12. #787

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    He's at .318 right now.

    He's on pace for 688 AB. That's 227 Hits. He's at 153, in 481 AB.

    207 AB, 74 Hits. .358 BA.

    .330 is not likely.
    It's not "likely," but it would probably be about the 30th time in Jeter's career where he's hit above .350 in a 200+ AB stretch.

  13. #788
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    It's not "likely," but it would probably be about the 30th time in Jeter's career where he's hit above .350 in a 200+ AB stretch.
    Last year he hit .351 over 225 AB from 7/21 - 9/25. Of course, that still wouldn't get him to .330. It also can't be a random stretch of at-bats - it has to end on the last day of the season. That stretch I just cited doesn't include the last two games of the season, when Jeter was 0 for 6.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  14. #789

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Last year he hit .351 over 225 AB from 7/21 - 9/25. Of course, that still wouldn't get him to .330. It also can't be a random stretch of at-bats - it has to end on the last day of the season. That stretch I just cited doesn't include the last two games of the season, when Jeter was 0 for 6.
    I'm not saying that Jeter is going to hit .330, or even that it's likely that he hits .330. My only point is that the idea of Jeter hitting .358 or whatever from here to the end of the season isn't preposterous.

  15. #790
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    For the last 28 days, Jeter is 38-for-105 (.362)

    So really it would be a 112-for-312 streak -- which is .359 over half a season.

    Do-able? Sure, he has done it for 1/2 a season before, I'm sure. At age 38? Like I said, unlikely.

    But he is currently 1st in hits in the AL, and 3rd in BA. It will be fun to track, for sure.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  16. #791
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    With one more HR, Derek Jeter will become only the 14th player in MLB history to have 3000 hits and 250 HR.

    1 Hank Aaron
    2 Willie Mays
    3 Rafael Palmeiro
    4 Eddie Murray
    5 Stan Musial
    6 Dave Winfield
    7 Carl Yastrzemski
    8 Cal Ripken
    9 Al Kaline
    10 George Brett
    11 Rickey Henderson
    12 Craig Biggio
    13 Robin Yount

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  17. #792

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    For the last 28 days, Jeter is 38-for-105 (.362)

    So really it would be a 112-for-312 streak -- which is .359 over half a season.

    Do-able? Sure, he has done it for 1/2 a season before, I'm sure. At age 38? Like I said, unlikely.

    But he is currently 1st in hits in the AL, and 3rd in BA. It will be fun to track, for sure.
    This isn't relevant. The fact that Jeter has hit well over his last 105 at-bats in no way makes him less likely to hit well over his next 200+ at-bats.

  18. #793
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    This isn't relevant. The fact that Jeter has hit well over his last 105 at-bats in no way makes him less likely to hit well over his next 200+ at-bats.
    Well, that's why it's called an average. if someone is hitting .318 for 4 months, but that includes a .362 mark for the last month, then based on his average, he would not continue to perform at a .360 mark for the next two months.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  19. #794

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Well, that's why it's called an average. if someone is hitting .318 for 4 months, but that includes a .362 mark for the last month, then based on his average, he would not continue to perform at a .360 mark for the next two months.
    There's no particular reason that he'd even hit .360 for two months, but the fact that he has for the last month has absolutely no bearing on how he'll hit for the next two months. Are you suggesting that Jeter is using up all of his hits right now?

  20. #795
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    There's no particular reason that he'd even hit .360 for two months, but the fact that he has for the last month has absolutely no bearing on how he'll hit for the next two months. Are you suggesting that Jeter is using up all of his hits right now?
    Obviously. In fact, if you just start with his final statistics for the year, we can figure out exactly how many more hits he has left.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  21. #796
    Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Are you suggesting that Jeter is using up all of his hits right now?
    I'm suggesting you go back to school and take a statistics class, and ask the teacher, "what is the probability of a career .313 hitter, who was hitting .306 after 86 games of the season, hitting .360 over the next 76 games?"

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  22. #797

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I'm suggesting you go back to school and take a statistics class, and ask the teacher, "what is the probability of a career .313 hitter, who was hitting .306 after 86 games of the season, hitting .360 over the next 76 games?"
    I'll ask again: are you saying that hitting .360 over the last month makes Jeter less likely to hit .360 over the next two months than he would be if he'd hit .270 over the last month?

  23. #798

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I'm suggesting you go back to school and take a statistics class, and ask the teacher, "what is the probability of a career .313 hitter, who was hitting .306 after 86 games of the season, hitting .360 over the next 76 games?"
    I'm quite sure the teacher will tell you that the probability is unaffected by the 86 games already played this season.

  24. #799
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I'm quite sure the teacher will tell you that the probability is unaffected by the 86 games already played this season.
    They'd also immediately ask you what the Batter's Standard Deviation was, otherwise the average would be pretty much meaningless.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  25. #800

    Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    With one more HR, Derek Jeter will become only the 14th player in MLB history to have 3000 hits and 250 HR.

    1 Hank Aaron
    2 Willie Mays
    3 Rafael Palmeiro
    4 Eddie Murray
    5 Stan Musial
    6 Dave Winfield
    7 Carl Yastrzemski
    8 Cal Ripken
    9 Al Kaline
    10 George Brett
    11 Rickey Henderson
    12 Craig Biggio
    13 Robin Yount
    When he gets to 3,300 hits, which could conceivably happen this season but certainly by April 2013, the list will be even shorter:
    1 Hank Aaron
    2 Stan Musial
    3 Carl Yastrzemski
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts