+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: Derek Jeter: 3,000 Hits and Milestones

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Uh, way to be particularly unrealistic. Jeter hasn't even had 180 hits in a season since 2009, and has broken that number only once since 2007. Considering that you're prognosticating from 2012 till 2014, your hopes are unimaginably far beyond the realm of the most generous possibility.

You're being very unfair by saying he has only hit 180 once since 2007 (2009). He hit 179 twice, in 2008 and 2010. Had he not gone on the d/l last year, he does it again, but I'll give you that one. Still, from 2007 on, he's averaged 188.

Without a d/l stint, he'll do 180 this year, and may even get to 210.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Uh, way to be particularly unrealistic. Jeter hasn't even had 180 hits in a season since 2009, and has broken that number only once since 2007. Considering that you're prognosticating from 2012 till 2014, your hopes are unimaginably far beyond the realm of the most generous possibility.

3515 is a goal worth striving to achieve. Jeter is a little less than 420 hits away from that number. If he collects around 170 this year and say near 150 next year, he'll be within spitting distance of 5th place all time through his age 40 season.

At that point Jeter will have earned over $250 million as a player not including endorsements or any other investments that he may have made. If he wanted to retire after a successful 2014 season I certainly wouldn't blame him. Additionally, you have to think that his defense at shortstop will be unacceptable after his age 40 season. Will the Yankees play a guy who is unable to slug .350 in the corner outfield? They'll need the DH slot to rest an aging ARod, too.
    They are pretty much doing that now with Gardner, aren't they? But I agree with everything else you have said here.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    They are pretty much doing that now with Gardner, aren't they? But I agree with everything else you have said here.
    While that's true, Gardner brings a lot to the Yankees (defense, speed) that a 40+ year old Jeter is highly unlikely to contribute.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    While that's true, Gardner brings a lot to the Yankees (defense, speed) that a 40+ year old Jeter is highly unlikely to contribute.
    You are right, but I'm assuming adequate LF defense for DJ. Unless he has to range to his left on sharply hit balls into LCF

Yankee milestones:

116 more runs scored to catch Gehrig for second place...possible this year if he stays healthy.
    40 more doubles to catch Gehrig for the team lead. Next year.
    2 more hits for 3,100.

Looks like Derek will retire leading the team in games, at-bats, hits, runs, doubles and stolen bases, and will be in the top 10 for triples, homers, RBIs and average. What a career.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Looks like Derek will retire leading the team in games, at-bats, hits, runs, doubles and stolen bases, and will be in the top 10 for triples, homers, RBIs and average. What a career.
    Yeah, but it's not like we have a long, solid history of top-notch players. If we had had guys like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Dickey, and the like, it'd be more impressive.

Oh wait........

Yep. What a career!

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

The only funny one there is stolen bases ... we've never had an elite base stealer for his whole career. Rickey's rate stats destroy anyone else in the organization's history.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The only funny one there is stolen bases ... we've never had an elite base stealer for his whole career. Rickey's rate stats destroy anyone else in the organization's history.
    About 20 bags a year isn't elite, but it's not too bad either. Is Brett Gardner considered an elite base stealer? I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up, but if he keeps up his pace he'll overtake Derek in about 5 years.
    Let the kids play.

Derek was never an elite base stealer however he is an elite base runner. Which is just as if not more important.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Is Brett Gardner considered an elite base stealer?
    Not even close!

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Exactly. When you say that defense and speed are what makes the difference, you're completely right.

And it's not just a little bit of extra defense and a little extra speed. Gardner was the best defensive outfielder in all of baseball over the past two years, and last year he led the American League in stolen bases. Going from that to a guy who has never played the outfield and who cannot steal 20 bases anymore is a significant drop-off.

Addicted Member

Not even close!
    These days he's close, he can steal 50. But if this were the 80's, I'd agree.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Derek Jeter vs. Pete Rose Total Hits - Closer than you think!

Derek Jeter

Majors 3101
    Minors 550
    Post Season 191
    All Star 10
    Total 3852

Peter Rose
    Majors 4256
    Minors 178
    Post Season 86
    All Star 7
    Total 4527

Just 676 hits for Jeter to pass Rose!

why don't you count little league too jeter once had 10 hits, and then hit up a couple 6th graders after the game so it's like 12
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

Not even close!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    These days he's close, he can steal 50. But if this were the 80's, I'd agree.
    Only one player in the majors had more SBs than him last year. Just three players had more in 2010. More than close, Brett's elite by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Only one player in the majors had more SBs than him last year. Just three players had more in 2010. More than close, Brett's elite by today's standards.
    Look, I like Brett Gardner but in 20 years, who's going to remember he even played the game? We're talking about all-time career leaders in statistical categories, and in such a discussion Brett Gardner's name shouldn't even come up. Even "by today's standards," he's not the kind of base-stealer that opposing teams game-plan around, 50 steals or not.

And if we called every player who ever led the league in a category for one season "elite," that word would lose all of its meaning. Was Bill Mueller an elite hitter? Jesse Barfield an elite home run hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    why don't you count little league too jeter once had 10 hits, and then hit up a couple 6th graders after the game so it's like 12

Just a little harsh for someone who's quote is "Always resonable". I truly hope I didn't offend you. I just thought it was interesting that Jeter had a lot of hits in the minors and has posted post season stats that nearly equal a 162 game season. I don't expect Derek to obtain more than around 3600 hits but not sure that I would bet against him. He is dedicated to conditioning and has a strong desire to play baseball.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

He is on a pace right now for 263 hits.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Fan View Post
    Just a little harsh for someone who's quote is "Always resonable". I truly hope I didn't offend you. I just thought it was interesting that Jeter had a lot of hits in the minors and has posted post season stats that nearly equal a 162 game season. I don't expect Derek to obtain more than around 3600 hits but not sure that I would bet against him. He is dedicated to conditioning and has a strong desire to play baseball.
    it was a joke, be offended but don't be too offended
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it was a joke, be offended but don't be too offended

reasonable amount of offense is reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

And if we called every player who ever led the league in a category for one season "elite," that word would lose all of its meaning. Was Bill Mueller an elite hitter? Jesse Barfield an elite home run hitter?
    Gardner has been an elite base stealer for a couple of years. We don't know yet whether he will be elite base stealer for his career.

Addicted Member

Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson are probably laughing. Back then elite meant 100+.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Passed Yaz on the Multi-Hit games list now at 912

Code:
    Pete Rose 	1,225
    Stan Musial 	1,059
    Hank Aaron 	1,046
    Paul Molitor 	967
    Tony Gwynn 	951
    Paul Waner 	939
    Eddie Murray 	934
    Willie Mays 	922
    Derek Jeter        912
    Carl Yastrzemski 	911
    George Brett 	903
    Rod Carew 	896
    Wade Boggs 	885
    Also it's a stupid stat but does any one know if anyone went faster from 3000 to 3100 than Jeter? He did it in 72 Games.

It be a story if he got to 3200 within the the same amount of time. It's fun watching a player you grew up watching reaching milestones that very few reached over 100 years that the games been played

Quote Originally Posted by RF21 View Post
    It's fun watching a player you grew up watching reaching milestones that very few reached over 100 years that the games been played
    I might be a little older than you, but I was born after the Mick retired and Jeter's the greatest Yankee (hitter) of my lifetime. Watching his entire career, and Mariano's, has been amazing.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by RF21 View Post
    Also it's a stupid stat but does any one know if anyone went faster from 3000 to 3100 than Jeter? He did it in 72 Games.
    I looked at the top two in career hits. Pete Rose got his 3,000th hit in Game 2,370 on May 5, 1978. He got his 3,100th hit 78 games later. Ty Cobb got his 3,000th hit in Game 2,135 on August 19, 1921 in Game 2 of a doubleheader. He got his 3,100th hit 67 games later which is faster than Jeter.

Thread Information