+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brett Myers?

NYYF Triple Crown

Brett Myers?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...77q8uL2ZmVecUO

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/7460062.html

I read these two items and started wondering if the Yanks should have any interest in Brett Myers as a 4th or 5th starter. Although I want to see Ivan Nova settle into one of the two rotation spots, I can't help but think that a starting rotation that includes Myers instead of Freddy Garcia or Bartolo Colon would be an upgrade.

Myers is 30 years old, has a 87-71 record over 9 seasons, has averaged 199IP when he's been a full time starter (he was a closer for the Phillies in 2007 and was injured in 2009), has a 1.33 career WHIP, averages about 7.5 K's/3BB's per 9IP. He's set to make $7M this season, $11M next year, and has a $3M buyout for 2013. He's also got some postseason experience with the Phillies. Unfortunately, I do remember an incident a few years ago where he was in the news for striking his wife in public -- don't really remember all the details. Also, don't know much about what sidelined him in 2009, but he came back strong last year with the Astros.

According to the second article, the Astros may want to cut their payroll just a little bit, and they also need a starting catcher.

How about a package of Francisco Cervelli, Sergio Mitre, Romulo Sanchez (out of options with no chance to make the club), and either David Phelps or Adam Warren? I'd even give the Astros the choice of taking Jorge Vazquez in place of Mitre, Sanchez, or Phelps/Warren.

The Yanks could then carry Jesus Montero as their backup catcher and use Freddy Garcia or Bartolo Colon (I would prefer Garcia) as their long man/6th starter. With as much talent ahead of Phelps and Warren, giving up either wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately, Vazquez has no future with the Yankees, much like Juan Miranda, but might be attractive to the Astros.

The Astros would get their starting catcher, Mitre could replace Myers in their rotation, they get a reliever, a decent back-of-the-rotation prospect, and/or a potential slugger for 2012 and beyond.

Is Myers worth it? Perhaps you can come up with a better option or a better package?

Re: Brett Myers?

No thanks on the wifebeater.

NYYF Legend

Not top of mind, but he is better than any 4/5 option that is currently in the fold.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Cy Young

I don't think the Stros are waiving the white flag yet. They just signed Myers last year to an extension. Drayton McLane likes to compete, the Stros made a nice run last year after dealing Berkman and Oswalt oddly enough. JA Happ and Wandy Rodriguez are decent...especially with the Cardinals losing Wainright now, they've got a decent shot at winning the central. Certainly not favorites but they've got a shot if their pitching works out.

NL Central going to the AL east? Big roll of the dice.

Addicted Member

[edit]: I was totally wrong, must've been thinking of someone else.
    Last edited by iamdoingthat; 03-07-11 at 04:51 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OlgMvp View Post
    I don't think the Stros are waiving the white flag yet. They just signed Myers last year to an extension. Drayton McLane likes to compete, the Stros made a nice run last year after dealing Berkman and Oswalt oddly enough. JA Happ and Wandy Rodriguez are decent...especially with the Cardinals losing Wainright now, they've got a decent shot at winning the central. Certainly not favorites but they've got a shot if their pitching works out.
    white flag or not the stros' are awful at the big league club and worse still they have one of the 5 worst ranked fram systems by nearly every ranking system I've seen.

this isn't the worst idea, the Astros have such a thin farm they might just go for a quantity over quality type deal to try and restock the farm.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by iamdoingthat View Post
    I remember this guy saving my bacon in last year's fantasy season. If I recall correctly, he typically would give a line like, 5IP, 9K, 4ER, 1W every week for the last third of the season.

Great for fantasy purposes, but considering that was the NL central, I'd take my chances with Mitre.

Your offer doesn't strike me as being unfair though.
    I'm pretty sure he managed to go 6 innings or more in every start of the season except one.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by OlgMvp View Post
    I know it was discussed alot here in the offseason threads, but if the Yanks go after any arm on the Astros, it should be Wandy.
    28 in 2014

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    ...if the Yanks go after any arm on the Astros, it should be Wandy.
    The Astros would ask for a much better package (which I don't think the Yankees should give up) for Rodriguez. In addition, as another poster pointed out, the Astros are hoping to contend in 2011, so it's too early to give up Rodriguez, but they could replace Myers in order to obtain the catcher they need and to lower payroll.

The bigger question is whether Myers is an upgrade over Garcia and/or Colon, and whether the Yanks can obtain him without giving up any of their top prospects.

Once again, I ask:

How about a package of Francisco Cervelli, Sergio Mitre, Romulo Sanchez (out of options with no chance to make the club), and either David Phelps or Adam Warren? I'd even give the Astros the choice of taking Jorge Vazquez in place of Mitre, Sanchez, or Phelps/Warren.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I know it was discussed alot here in the offseason threads, but if the Yanks go after any arm on the Astros, it should be Wandy.
    they just extended Wandy; they're not gonna ship em out

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    In addition, as another poster pointed out, the Astros are hoping to contend in 2011, so it's too early to give up Rodriguez, but they could replace Myers in order to obtain the catcher they need and to lower payroll.
    hoping? more like dreaming.

I did just notice that Myers is about to get fairly pricy according to cots though
    • 11:$7M, 12:$11M, 13:$10M club option ($3M buyout)
    • 2013 option guaranteed based on 2012 performance
    • $1.5M in annual performance bonuses
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Yep.......

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Not that I condone that type of despicable behavior, but Joe DiMaggio was a wife beater too.

Point is, the reason I don't want him isn't because he's a wife beater. I don't want him because he's just not the type of front line pitcher the Yankees need that can attain any type of success in the AL East.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Not that I condone that type of despicable behavior, but Joe DiMaggio was a wife beater too.

Point is, the reason I don't want him isn't because he's a wife beater. I don't want him because he's just not the type of front line pitcher the Yankees need that can attain any type of success in the AL East.

Thats probably true but neither are Sergio Mitre, Freddy Garcia or Bartolo Colon. Were scraping the bottom of the barrel no matter which of these guys is taking the ball.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

I guess different strokes for different folks.........Dimaggio was a wife beater?

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    I guess different strokes for different folks.........Dimaggio was a wife beater?
    I never heard of this either. What?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF MVP

Myers is a righty who's constantly pitching backwards because his fastball isn't any good. His career-best ERA last year coincided with the career best 8.5% HR/FB ratio. And he's supposedly kind of a prick.

No thanks.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I never heard of this either. What?
    Off topic here, but I'm not sure that this is exactly earth shattering news...Marilyn Monroe took a few beatings from Joltin' Joe.

It's well documented in "Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life" by Richard Ben Cramer. A great read which shows that for all his greatness as a player, he had a dark side in private.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Pass on Myers. I have been saying and still will say, The Yankees will be fine with what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbooster View Post
    Was a wife beater or wore a wife beater*?

* I am 100% Italian so no one get nuts.

He also retired 34 years before I was born, so I never had to deal with that moral quandry as a fan.

I would just prefer to actually be able to root for a player on the team. Being a good guy isn't a prerequisite for someone to be on the team, but it's certainly a lot more fun to root for them when they are.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    The bigger question is whether Myers is an upgrade over Garcia and/or Colon, and whether the Yanks can obtain him without giving up any of their top prospects.

Once again, I ask:

I don't think he's a substantial upgrade over what the Yankees have now.

I'd also rather hang on to those second-tier prospects as future trading chips/throw-ins for a better arm than Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by delv
    they just extended Wandy; they're not gonna ship em out

They did? Drats.

If that's the case, then I'm guessing the only way the Astros would consider moving him is if the Yanks gutted the farm.

I like Wandy, but not that much.
    28 in 2014

Myers could be a buy-high type of deal given his success last year.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Whether or not Joe D was a wife beater has no bearing on my opinion about Myers. I don't care that the players I root for are saints as I'm certainly not, but I could never bring myself to root for him regardless of how well he does here.

Thread Information