+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 775 of 899
  1. #751

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Unfortunately for Giants fans the Patriots are going to win pretty handily
    I've seen this pre-Super Bowl movie before.

  2. #752
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I've seen this pre-Super Bowl movie before.
    It's a different sequel. In the first movie, everyone thought New England was unbeatable and the best team in the history of the NFL. The Giants were the little engine that could but had almost no chance.

    In the second movie, Giants fans giving no credit to the Patriots defense and hyping up the potential of their team. There is no way Belichick is going to let the Giants beat them in a re-match. Brady has a bad game once in a blue moon, and he just had one yesterday. What are the chances he would in back to back games?

    Of course if the Giants pass rush beats him down there's not much Brady can do, but I expect the Patriots to game plan for a quick paced no huddle offense getting the ball out very quickly. Playing a defense oriented team like the Ravens will give them a ton of insight on tape in preparing to play the Giants

  3. #753

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    It's a different sequel. In the first movie, everyone thought New England was unbeatable and the best team in the history of the NFL. The Giants were the little engine that could but had almost no chance.

    In the second movie, Giants fans giving no credit to the Patriots defense and hyping up the potential of their team. There is no way Belichick is going to let the Giants beat them in a re-match. Brady has a bad game once in a blue moon, and he just had one yesterday. What are the chances he would in back to back games?

    Of course if the Giants pass rush beats him down there's not much Brady can do, but I expect the Patriots to game plan for a quick paced no huddle offense getting the ball out very quickly. Playing a defense oriented team like the Ravens will give them a ton of insight on tape in preparing to play the Giants
    They're both flawed teams. But each team has a star QB and offensive weapons... and I think both defenses are playing better now then they have all season. I think it should be an entertaining game (and I think the Patriots will win but what do I know?)

  4. #754
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    It is weird though how similar these two seasons have been for the Giants. Coughlin was going to get fired both times, and then they went on their run.

  5. #755
    NYYF Legend

    RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Manchester, NJ

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    When do pitchers and catchers report? Ugh.

  6. #756
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    When do pitchers and catchers report? Ugh.
    After the Super Bowl!.................

  7. #757

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Good piece on the Jets' offensive problems in the Schotty era.

    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/...ew-old-offense

    Jets have been running a hybrid system for the last few years, complicating things even worse.

  8. #758

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Really good documentary on Joe Willie tonight at 9 on HBO. Even Mushnik who complains about everything said it is really good.

  9. #759
    NYYF Legend

    SoCal Pinstriper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Really good documentary on Joe Willie tonight at 9 on HBO. Even Mushnik who complains about everything said it is really good.
    Was really great.

  10. #760

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Karl Dunbar hired as new DLine coach

  11. #761
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Kiper on a re-draft of 2006, has Mangold as 2nd.

    Couldn't see past 4, wonder if Brick is in the 1st round still.

  12. #762
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Kiper on a re-draft of 2006, has Mangold as 2nd.

    Couldn't see past 4, wonder if Brick is in the 1st round still.
    He has Ferguson going to Arizona at 10. He has the Jets taking Hali at 4, and Richard Marshall at 29.

  13. #763
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    It's a different sequel. In the first movie, everyone thought New England was unbeatable and the best team in the history of the NFL. The Giants were the little engine that could but had almost no chance.

    In the second movie, Giants fans giving no credit to the Patriots defense and hyping up the potential of their team. There is no way Belichick is going to let the Giants beat them in a re-match. Brady has a bad game once in a blue moon, and he just had one yesterday. What are the chances he would in back to back games?

    Of course if the Giants pass rush beats him down there's not much Brady can do, but I expect the Patriots to game plan for a quick paced no huddle offense getting the ball out very quickly. Playing a defense oriented team like the Ravens will give them a ton of insight on tape in preparing to play the Giants
    The Pats may have gained some insight in how to handle the Giants defense by playing the Ravens, but at the end of the day, they did not show they could light up the Ravens and were the equivalent of an extra point FG from having to go to OT to win that game. And unlike the Ravens, who are not explosive offensively, the Giants are.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  14. #764
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    The Pats may have gained some insight in how to handle the Giants defense by playing the Ravens, but at the end of the day, they did not show they could light up the Ravens and were the equivalent of an extra point FG from having to go to OT to win that game. And unlike the Ravens, who are not explosive offensively, the Giants are.
    Ravens knocked down Brady early and threw him off his game. The Super Bowl will come down to how well the Giants can get to Brady. If they can't, he will light them up Gronk or not

  15. #765
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Ravens knocked down Brady early and threw him off his game. The Super Bowl will come down to how well the Giants can get to Brady. If they can't, he will light them up Gronk or not
    Perhaps but as I said, the equation has changed. The Giants offense is as good as the Pats is. Trading scores is usually a recipe for Patriot domination, but it may not be here.

  16. #766

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Perhaps but as I said, the equation has changed. The Giants offense is as good as the Pats is. Trading scores is usually a recipe for Patriot domination, but it may not be here.
    I don't think the Giants offense is on par with the Patriots. It's close, but the Pats scored a hell of a lot more point this season than did the Giants. I think the Giants match up well with the Pats on offense because they like to attack downfield and the Pats db coverage is not great. The same is true of the Pats O vs. the Giant D.

    I think I agree with GG, if the Giants pass rush is there, they can win the game, but I don't know if they can win a shoot out with the Patriots.

  17. #767
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    When do pitchers and catchers report? Ugh.
    As division rival I can understand the dislike of the Patriots (I'd feel the same about Philly/Dallas/Was) but do Jet fan as a group generally dislike the Giants?

    As a Giant fan I've just generally seen the Jets as just another ACF team. I mean there isn't that big a rivalry in my mind since they only meet once every 4 years and have never played each other in the super bowl. That pre-season "rivalry" is kind of a joke.

    I'll usually root for the Jets when they are in the playoffs but otherwise I don't really pay that much attention to them.

  18. #768
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland View Post
    I don't think the Giants offense is on par with the Patriots. It's close, but the Pats scored a hell of a lot more point this season than did the Giants. I think the Giants match up well with the Pats on offense because they like to attack downfield and the Pats db coverage is not great. The same is true of the Pats O vs. the Giant D.

    I think I agree with GG, if the Giants pass rush is there, they can win the game, but I don't know if they can win a shoot out with the Patriots.
    You are correct. It is a lot more inconsistent. Though some of that had to do with injuries to Nicks, Bradshaw, Ballard and a few O-line men at various points of the season. Other than Nick's shoulder concerns which apprear minor the Giants offense is about as healthy as it has been all season.

    On the other hand there are some serious concerns about Gronkowski's ankle who has been the most potent weapon for the Pats all season. Sure tehy have other great weapons in Welker & Hernandez but it isn't quite the same.

  19. #769

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    As division rival I can understand the dislike of the Patriots (I'd feel the same about Philly/Dallas/Was) but do Jet fan as a group generally dislike the Giants?

    As a Giant fan I've just generally seen the Jets as just another ACF team. I mean there isn't that big a rivalry in my mind since they only meet once every 4 years and have never played each other in the super bowl. That pre-season "rivalry" is kind of a joke.

    I'll usually root for the Jets when they are in the playoffs but otherwise I don't really pay that much attention to them.
    I can only speak for me personally. I do not hate the team itself. I have no issues with any one player (although Cruz celebrates every single catch like he just clinched the Super Bowl, I can do without that). Besides that, I just hate the fan base. I work with the most obnoxious group of sports fans I've ever had the misfortune of being around. Combine that with probably most of my town being the type of Giants fan that is in your face all the time about being a Jets fan, the fan base has turned me into a Giants hater. I hate the Patriots by nature but the Giant fan base developed me into a guy that is very much Anti-Giants. I cheered for the Giants in the Super Bowl before, didn't think them winning would be a bad thing. The fans I deal with on a regular basis are hands down worse then Red Sox fans & it's not even remotely close. I am not rooting for either team but I'd be lying if I said that the Patriots winning would be worse for my daily life.

  20. #770
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I can only speak for me personally. I do not hate the team itself. I have no issues with any one player (although Cruz celebrates every single catch like he just clinched the Super Bowl, I can do without that). Besides that, I just hate the fan base. I work with the most obnoxious group of sports fans I've ever had the misfortune of being around. Combine that with probably most of my town being the type of Giants fan that is in your face all the time about being a Jets fans, the fan base has turned me into a Giants hater. I hate the Patriots by nature but the Giant fan base developed me into a guy that is very much Anti-Giants. I cheered for the Giants in the Super Bowl before, didn't think them winning would be a bad thing. The fans I deal with on a regular basis are hands down worse then Red Sox fans & it's not even remotely close. I am not rooting for either team but I'd be lying if I said that the Patriots winning would be worse for my daily life.
    This basically sums it up for me, too. Well said. I think the Giants/Red Sox thing is more about the volume, though, at least for me. I don't know as many Sox fans as Giants fans.

  21. #771

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Plus I can do without them going "How can you NOT root for the Giants?" Logical, well thought out answers to that question are usually frowned upon & lead to more "HAHAHA you guys still suck!!!"

    Not saying you're implying these, YT.

  22. #772
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    No just trying to get a feeling. Grew up in Jersey but don't recall the Giants/Jets rivalry being much of a big deal way back then. Haven't lived there for over 2 decades so I don't see the fan base interaction between the two teams sharing the market but I do see a lot of it with Giants/A's 49ers/Raiders so I do have decent idea. And do understand how fans of one can piss you off enough to not like the team.

  23. #773

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Lifelong Jet's fan here... Don't hate the Giants... actually envious of how classy an organization they are right now compared to my team...

  24. #774

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No just trying to get a feeling. Grew up in Jersey but don't recall the Giants/Jets rivalry being much of a big deal way back then. Haven't lived there for over 2 decades so I don't see the fan base interaction between the two teams sharing the market but I do see a lot of it with Giants/A's 49ers/Raiders so I do have decent idea. And do understand how fans of one can piss you off enough to not like the team.
    I wasn't always a Giants hater. In fact, I casually cheered for them when the Jets weren't playing. I'm not saying "cheer" because I'm not a fan, there was no emotional investment cause I'm a Jets fan but I was happy to see a local team do well. For me, everything changed after the Super Bowl. Everyone I knew that were once casual fans or diehard yet logical fans turned into complete douchebags that had to get in everyone's face about it. The bars would also be insufferable on Sundays & even though there wasn't (and I still feel there isn't) a rivalry, for some reason Giants fans would still be in Jets fans faces. I could write a book about the douchebaggery that is my co-workers about how they are but I think you get the point.

    Jets fans are pretty bad too & for the sh*t we get from Giants fans now, it's probably because those fans have been constantly in our faces over the years. I personally don't do it because I hate getting my balls busted about my teams but that's the only thing I can come up with that could possibly make some sense now.

  25. #775
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The 2011 New York Jets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    For me, everything changed after the Super Bowl. Everyone I knew that were once casual fans or diehard yet logical fans turned into complete douchebags that had to get in everyone's face about it. The bars would also be insufferable on Sundays & even though there wasn't (and I still feel there isn't) a rivalry, for some reason Giants fans would still be in Jets fans faces. I could write a book about the douchebaggery that is my co-workers about how they are but I think you get the point.
    Yeah I can understand that. Sucks to be around a group of insufferable asses. I might have been one had I lived there but out here the Pats are pretty much not liked so evenone was kind of happy the Giants took them down in 2008.

    Of course this year with the Giants knocking out the 49ers, people aren't as excited about them v the Pats in the rematch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts