+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1728

Re: 2011 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    You also need to add $6M for each of the HR milestones in his contract - passing Mays, Ruth, Aaron and tying and passing Bonds. It's possible he could reach four of those in one year and his cap hit would be $51.5M.
    If he reaches those milestones by 2015 or sooner then I could live with it better than if it takes all six years to reach them. Still a gross overpay, but it's the only thing we can hope for now.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    You also need to add $6M for each of the HR milestones in his contract - passing Mays, Ruth, Aaron and tying and passing Bonds. It's possible he could reach four of those in one year and his cap hit would be $51.5M.
    You think he's going to hit 103 HR in a season?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    He means passing Ruth ($6MM), passing Aaron ($6MM), tying Bonds ($6MM) and passing Bonds ($6MM).

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Unfortunately things do not get better at all. He will count for 27.5 million against the luxury tax threshold for each of the next 6 years.
    Yes, I was aware of that, but we're still talking about two slightly different things. The luxury tax calculation is an important consideration but fewer dollars is still fewer dollars.

Not sure how to factor in those incentive bonuses, in two ways: (1) do they count in the luxury tax calculation and (2) will they (even partially) pay for themselves in marketing revenue.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    No, but it's possible he could pass Ruth, Aaron and then tie and pass Bonds in the same season. If he does break the record I would think at a minimum he'll pass Aaron and Bonds in the same year which would cost an extra $18M.

his cap hit would be $51.5M.
    that's pretty tragic
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    He means passing Ruth ($6MM), passing Aaron ($6MM), tying Bonds ($6MM) and passing Bonds ($6MM).
    Well at least if he does that in one year he'll be pretty damn valuable, assuming he maintains his patience.

I'm much more concerned that he never reaches Aaron or Bonds than the bonuses he gets if he does. Anyway, do we know if they are counted against the tax? Cots has them listed as marketing agreements rather than straight bonuses. I would think they count otherwise that would be an easy way to circumvent the luxury tax...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26
    i was kinda dissapointed when the story didnt end with mule sex....but whatev
    Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    Do I get to finger blast Kate Upton in your fantasy land?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hughes Fan View Post
    Well at least if he does that in one year he'll be pretty damn valuable, assuming he maintains his patience.

I'm much more concerned that he never reaches Aaron or Bonds than the bonuses he gets if he does. Anyway, do we know if they are counted against the tax? Cots has them listed as marketing agreements rather than straight bonuses. I would think they count otherwise that would be an easy way to circumvent the luxury tax...
    IIRC, the bonuses were categorized that way because you can't technically give a player performance based bonuses per the CBA, but the union and league agreed to them in this case. They are going to count against the luxury tax; there's no way the league would let a team compensate a player without them counting.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Cy Young

This contract is insane...what were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by the_coach View Post
    This contract is insane...what were they thinking?
    A) They were thinking that, holy crap, the Red Sox just won their 2nd WS in 4 years;
    B) They weren't thinking.

NYYF Cy Young

He had just come off the best season of his career, there were NO suspicions he had done steroids, he had no previous health problems at all, and he was on pace to shatter the HR record cleanly (along with various other records). Was the contract stupid, yes, but he was also in a much better position then, and I think the HR record was a major influence on that contract. Most of us suspected (and I think the Yankees did too) the contract would only start to bite the last 3 years or so, but it's looking a lot earlier than that now unfortunately.

they're dumb, but they also probably had visions of A-Rod eventually endearing himself to Yankee fans and his clean home run chase making them lots of money.

of course, the former never really happened and now he's not seen by the public as any different than Bonds when it comes to PEDs, so... so much for that.

NYYF Legend

Slightly related to topic...

Has the union allowed contracts to have language included that would void monies if drug allegations came out on player?

Specifically, if the Yanks put in a clause on Arod's contract that stated "if PEDs information came out on you we can void remaining years or incentive clauses."
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis View Post
    Slightly related to topic...

Has the union allowed contracts to have language included that would void monies if drug allegations came out on player?

Specifically, if the Yanks put in a clause on Arod's contract that stated "if PEDs information came out on you we can void remaining years or incentive clauses."
    I think there is language in there to that effect, but I doubt it can be invoked on allegations only. I vaguely remember that the club explored this with Giambi at one point.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think there is language in there to that effect, but I doubt it can be invoked on allegations only. I vaguely remember that the club explored this with Giambi at one point.
    I remember that too, and you have to imagine that if a team tried to do that it would be the source of a signfiicant challenge from the union. In fact, now that they've collectively bargained punishment for PED users, I'm not even sure a team could put that kind of clause into a contract.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

His new girl-toy has my seal of approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I remember that too, and you have to imagine that if a team tried to do that it would be the source of a signfiicant challenge from the union. In fact, now that they've collectively bargained punishment for PED users, I'm not even sure a team could put that kind of clause into a contract.
    Yeah, it was kind of a loophole, wasn't a "if you do steroids we can void your contract clause."

Just did a quick search:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=1936931

All guaranteed contracts, the attorney told ESPN.com, contain clauses that could be applied to a case such as Giambi's -- specifically these two:

The player must agree to keep himself in first-class physical condition and adhere to all training rules set by the club.

The use or misuse of illegal or prescription drugs can be interpreted to mean the player is not keeping himself in first-class physical condition.

If the Yankees can prove that Giambi misrepresented himself by failing to admit that his performance was enhanced by the use of illegal drugs, they can attempt to convert the remainder of the contract to a non-guaranteed deal by claiming Giambi was in breach of contract, the attorney said.

However, all those issues appear to be academic for the moment -- if only because neither the Yankees nor major-league baseball feels they can take any disciplinary action based solely on a newspaper story, according to one MLB source.
    So this is wishy-washy and obviously that deal is 10 years old... so not sure if this is still standard practice or if it matters... I do think granting teams the ability to void guaranteed deals would be an effective deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldYankeeFan View Post
    Thanks to Hank, Alex has the longest most absurd contract possibly in all of sports. And as a result Hank has the distinction of having possibly the shortest reign of any managing partner/owner in the history of the game.
    Want to read something funny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basebal...concerns:_2007
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    His new girl-toy has my seal of approval.
    Former WCW and WWE Diva, Torrie Wilson? She was fantastic ten years ago, but the recent picture I saw of them together, she didn't look so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    Former WCW and WWE Diva, Torrie Wilson? She was fantastic ten years ago, but the recent picture I saw of them together, she didn't look so hot.
    Yeah I remember when she first came over to WWE during the Invasion angle....summer of 2001...she was amazing. She still looks damn good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This is correct, I believe. The Giambi issue came up before collective bargaining established Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. According to Section 7(L):
    All authority to discipline Players for violations of the Program shall repose with the Commissioner’s Office. No Club may take any disciplinary or adverse action against a Player (including but not limited to a fine, suspension, or any adverse action pursuant to a Uniform Player’s Contract) because of a Player’s violation of the Program. Nothing in this Section 8.L is intended to address whether (i) a Club may take adverse action in response to a Player’s failure to render his services due to a disability resulting directly from a physical injury or mental condition arising from his violation of the Program; or (ii) a Club may withhold salary from a Player for any period he is unavailable because of legal proceedings or incarceration arising from his violation of the Program.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Yeah I remember when she first came over to WWE during the Invasion angle....summer of 2001...she was amazing. She still looks damn good though.
    Fun fact: They were born exactly 3 days apart, July 24 (her) and July 27, 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Just what a dude trying to live past the shadow of PED use needs to do... start dating former wrestlers.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Just what a dude trying to live past the shadow of PED use needs to do... start dating former wrestlers.
    To be fair, I don't think she's very connected to or involved with wrestling's PED problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    To be fair, I don't think she's very connected to or involved with wrestling's PED problem.
    It was a tongue in cheek comment. I have no idea whether she is or isn't (although she was pretty dang jacked at one point). I mean, the guy should date who he wants to date, just thought it was a bit ironic and also I'm sure someone will eventually run with that angle.

Thread Information