+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Trade idea: Get Reyes for 2 players

Reyes is a head case, way too cocky for his skill set, and is totally inconsistent. He would never fit with the current group of veterans we have. No thanks. I'd be more comfortable just drafting a kid this year and having him hopefully competent by 2013 or 14.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Axon View Post
    Reyes is a head case, way too cocky for his skill set, and is totally inconsistent. He would never fit with the current group of veterans we have. No thanks. I'd be more comfortable just drafting a kid this year and having him hopefully competent by 2013 or 14.
    Attitude reflect leadership
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

besides stealing bases, name one thing that Reyes does better than Jeter?

Jeter stays healthy, it's as simple as that. I don't want Jose Reyes.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811 View Post
    besides stealing bases, name one thing that Reyes does better than Jeter?

Jeter stays healthy, it's as simple as that. I don't want Jose Reyes.
    Reyes plays better D. But, yeah, Reyes is a bit overrated. He doesn't get on base enough.

Quote Originally Posted by delv View Post
    Reyes plays better D. But, yeah, Reyes is a bit overrated. He doesn't get on base enough.
    his D is a little better, I'll give you that.

But he has posted only 2 season with an OPS+ over 103.... he is basically a league average offensive player at this point, with far too great of an injury risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

As far as the trade goes.... Jeter is not moving to the OF.
    Until Hanley gets here....
    Team Northern Lights

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811 View Post
    his D is a little better, I'll give you that.

But he has posted only 2 season with an OPS+ over 103.... he is basically a league average offensive player at this point, with far too great of an injury risk.
    Ehh... using OPS+ doesn't take stolen bases into account, so it underrates him. wRC+ does include it, and accordingly rates him a little better; it's also on the same scale as OPS+. He has put up two seasons over 120. Career 106.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...36&position=SS

The injury thing is a big concern.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Until Hanley gets here....
    As much as I obviously love this idea, is this a realistic option or are you just throwing it out there?
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

NYYF Legend

As much as I obviously love this idea, is this a realistic option or are you just throwing it out there?
    He will be a FA after 2014 and he will make $15M in 2012, $15.5M in 2013, $16M in 2014. Logical guess is that he will be available in trade market after this year.

If he can return to 06-08 form and is actually healthy, I can see Alderson and co. trying to retain him. Last year though, it was evident that he wasn't 100% between the hamstring and the oblique problems. He wasn't pushing off on his right leg very well and it affected his speed. The oblique definitely hampered him swinging left handed and in the field. His UZR took a tremendous hit last season. He also forgot how to take a walk the second half of last year and put up a piss poor OBP for a leadoff guy, but that's always been an issue with him. I can't see teams jumping to sign him at 15+ per if he doesn't put up 150 games at 06-08 numbers. Reyes of 09-10 is a nightmare.

kan_t explained it well.

Cashman just said publicly he doesn't expect Jeter to finish his career at SS. Couple that kan_t's explaination and I think it's totally a realistic possibility.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    kan_t explained it well.

Cashman just said publicly he doesn't expect Jeter to finish his career at SS. Couple that kan_t's explaination and I think it's totally a realistic possibility.
    I hope you two are correct and I hope the Yankees will have the trade chips to beat everyone else for him.

I hope you two are correct and I hope the Yankees will have the trade chips to beat everyone else for him.
    IMO doubt that the Miami Marlins (as what they are targeted to be renamed next season) will want to part with their main attraction heading into a new ballpark, would have been like IF the twins let Mauer walk out right before Target Field opened up.
    My NYY Room http://tinyurl.com/y89l8up
    My NYY Hats http://tinyurl.com/yauhxsg
    My NYY Jerseys http://tinyurl.com/ydsggo4
    My Jeter Kicks http://tinyurl.com/yee5tzl

By the consensus of most scouts, it's an unknown whether Ramirez will still be playing the SS position in a few years. He's a tremendous guy and consistently falls in the bottom third of UZR ratings, with the exception of his 08 season. I don't see him being a long term solution at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffNettles9 View Post
    IMO doubt that the Miami Marlins (as what they are targeted to be renamed next season) will want to part with their main attraction heading into a new ballpark, would have been like IF the twins let Mauer walk out right before Target Field opened up.
    I figured that it's going to be tough to land him even if the Marlins make him available, which is why I asked to begin with. of course I love the idea and I believe anything is possible but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

NYYF Legend

I think he will be available but I don't think the Yankees will get him. I think they will go after some players like Stephen Drew.

No thanks. Jeter is less valuable if moved to Centerfield and remember that Grandy is entrenched there. It just doesn't work like this at all.

would be a cute idea if jeter wasn't signed, and the players being offered are wrong.

then again the cultural shock for many yankees fans from this move would be much too great, the world might just end on a pinch. take out the most captainy of captains and in goes this disorderly youth, and you say the team is better??!`
    always reasonable

white sox just got alexei ramirez for 5 more years. yay for them.
    always reasonable

Passion For Pinstripes mrmike98's Avatar

One factor not mentioned about Reyes:

Consider the costs the Yankees would incur as far as keeping him well groomed and dressed within the confines of their code. Totally exhorbitant!
    Before Elvis There Was Nothing

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Kismetized View Post
    By the consensus of most scouts, it's an unknown whether Ramirez will still be playing the SS position in a few years. He's a tremendous guy and consistently falls in the bottom third of UZR ratings, with the exception of his 08 season. I don't see him being a long term solution at the position.

Which is why the NYY should have given Jeter that 6 yr./$150M deal he wanted. Then they wouldn't be needing a SS for a long time. They're such dummies..
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by PuffNettles9 View Post
    how about attributing the quote TO the character AND the movie instead of leaving the quote unattributed, this way those that dont know the lines or movie know its just a line from a movie...like:

"Character Quote goes here"
    - Character, Movie
    I guess I'll weigh in on the most worthy topic of this thread. Labeling a movie quotation like this just ruins it. It's like explaining why a joke is funny.

I think Mark should have simply linked to the actual clip from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I guess I'll weigh in on the most worthy topic of this thread. Labeling a movie quotation like this just ruins it. It's like explaining why a joke is funny.

I think Mark should have simply linked to the actual clip from the movie.
    Meh, I suppose, however, not all cases is a clip of a movie readily available
    My NYY Room http://tinyurl.com/y89l8up
    My NYY Hats http://tinyurl.com/yauhxsg
    My NYY Jerseys http://tinyurl.com/ydsggo4
    My Jeter Kicks http://tinyurl.com/yee5tzl

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    That has to be one of the most idiotic trade ideas I've ever heard.
    Gardner is hitting .251 with 3 Homers and 5 steals a month and a half into the season while Chamberlin is doing fine with a 3.18 ERA over 17 innings.

Reyes is hitting.318. I still would make this deal today. Unfortunately the Mets would not. Thats today's reality.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Stanesq View Post
    Gardner is hitting .251 with 3 Homers and 5 steals a month and a half into the season while Chamberlin is doing fine with a 3.18 ERA over 17 innings.

Reyes is hitting.318. I still would make this deal today. Unfortunately the Mets would not. Thats today's reality.
    Heh, I suppose I'd do Gardner for Reyes straight up, even if Reyes is a head case. But Jeet's not gonna move, you know that.

I think the mets might take Joba and make him a starter again, though.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Thread Information