1 1.22%
  • Mitre & Joba

0 0%
  • Nova & Joba

32 39.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Pick Em: Freddy Garcia, Justin Duchscherer, Mitre, Nova and Joba for 2 spots

Regardless of whether Pettitte comes back either for the start of the season or somewhere along the way, I think we all agree the starting rotation still needs some depth.

If it's just between these five guys, with no other options, which two would you pick?

IMO, no way is Mitre anything more than a long reliever.

I'll pick Garcia over Duchscherer because he's recently been healthier and has pitched more regularly. I'd let Joba and Nova battle it out in spring training, and even consider use them as a "two-headed monster" for the first half of the season -- a very unconventional way of finding out who might be a better fit for the 2nd half. Let them both pitch every fifth day in the same game,alternating the start, with the starter going 5 innings and the other finishing up.

Re: Pick Em: Freddy Garcia, Justin Duchscherer, Mitre, Nova and Joba for 2 spots

Good thing they decided to make Joba a middle reliever.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Re: Pick Em: Freddy Garcia, Justin Duchscherer, Mitre, Nova and Joba for 2 spots

Joba and Nova.

I went with Joba and the Douche (which sounds like it could be a morning radio show)

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

I want Nova and Joba, with Duchscherer in the Pen, and Mitre designated for assignment.

One can dream
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

I voted for Duch and Nova. Duch would be a signing risk for obvious reasons but he is better than anyone else on that list. Nova showed flashes early, but I'm not convinced he can be effective more than 3 innings at a stretch. Garcia might not be a bad fall back option if we don't get Justin. Joba will never start for the Yankees. That boat has sailed. I'm not even sure he will be a Yankee next season. Mitre is...well Mitre.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    I want Nova and Joba, with Duchscherer in the Pen, and Mitra designated for assignment.

One can dream
    Yea, I voted Nova and Joba with hopefully signing someone like Duchscherer because he can work out of the pen.

You need another option in the survey, which I would pick.

That option is "Yanks will trade for another SP with Nova as the #5 SP."

NYYF Triple Crown

So far, not one vote for any of the options that include Mitre as a starter.

I sure hope that someone from the front office is hearing the voice of its fan base:

JUST SAY NO TO SERG-I-O !!!

NYYF Legend

If Joba were to be in the rotation he'd have another year of innings limits so that'd be stupid. Mitre would probably be the #4 and first possible DFA candidate of the season after the first few losses, and Noesi getting his spot.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    If Joba were to be in the rotation he'd have another year of innings limits so that'd be stupid. Mitre would probably be the #4 and first possible DFA candidate of the season after the first few losses, and Noesi getting his spot.
    Joba's innings limit would be high enough that it probably wouldn't make a difference. If they don't get anyone else before ST, It's crazy to not at least let him compete for a rotation spot
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    While I want no part of Joba in the rotation (and I still think he gets dealt), he would not be on much of an innings limit, if at all.

Remember that in 2009, Joba threw about 157 regular season IP and several more in the playoffs. Using the Yanks standard model of increasing career high IP counts between 30-35 IP a year, Joba's limit would be somewhere between 190-195 IP if he was a SP.

Considering that CC was the only Yanks SP in 2010 to pitch more than 190 IP, I don't think Joba would have ANY IP count on him as a SP. Nevertheless, mark me down as a "no" to him returning to the rotation- his slider has gone drastically downhill over the past several years- and without it, he doesn't even have enough to be a solid reliever, let alone a SP.

NYYF Triple Crown

very interesting....29 out of 44 voters pick Joba for one of the two spots...that's about 65%...

are you listening, Brian???

NYYF MVP

Hopefully Rothschild says something to the effect of "I can fix him" and Joba gets a shot...

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Hopefully Rothschild says something to the effect of "I can fix him" and Joba gets a shot...
    If he does say this, I think this forum should write him a collective thank you email. That's silly, but whatevs

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankee82093 View Post
    If he does say this, I think this forum should write him a collective thank you email. That's silly, but whatevs
    Or Eiland death threats.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Nova and Joba would be my pick at this time, but I'm hoping that Noesi can contribute if/when one of them falters. I don't see any immediate reason not to go with the cheap, young, internal options who have strong MiLB performance and project to a 90-100 ERA+ over the mediocre, more expensive external options, unless the externals have a decent shot of breaking out to a higher level.

Noesi doesn't project very high as a prospect, but I'm still surprised how little he appears to be considered as a possibility for 2011. He had a good campaign in AAA last year with solid peripherals, and was identified as a possible breakout candidate before the year began. He then, well, broke out at the highest level of the minors. I don't see what we gain by making him repeat AAA, and we might potentially grab a 90-100 ERA+ pitcher. That's league average, which would be excellent with our current roster profile.

By the time we've run through Nova and Noesi, then maybe Phelps. By then, Brackman or Banuelos may be worth a look. I suspect that 1 or 2 of those can manage an ERA under 5, given a shot.

ETA: One of the 'downsides' of having a farm system stuffed full of interesting pitching prospects arriving at AA/AAA is that you've got to, at some point, find a place for them to get some MLB starts to see what they can do. The Yankees traded away Cabrera, giving Gardner a shot, and it paid off massively. This could be an opportunity to do something similar. The alternative is that we sell them off before they have any MLB value for pennies on the dollar. That's how you get into a situation where you "need" Cliff Lee.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Noesi will definitely be in AAA. He had a great AA campaign- still needs time.
    The coming of The Carpenter.
    I love to hit. I want to hit .300, .400, .500. I just love to hit.

Have to pick Nova first since he can throw innings, he's young and he's had a few great outings through inning 4. Since we're taking chances here he gives us the best chance for a longterm starter.

Garcia...too old.

Mitre....track record is poor, especially innings-wise.

Joba....never liked him as a starter, not interested in going down that path again.

Duchscherer.....I suppose if you're looking to catch lightning in a bottle he would be an interesting candidate since he's been dominant as a starter before. If he doesn't work out we toss him aside and go looking for Aaron Small Jr.

Nova and Duchscherer.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

It just seems way too early to throw Joba to the curb in terms of the starting rotation. The kid is still young, he's been tossed back and forth in the team's plans, and he's got a highly respected new pitching coach who may well have a profound effect on his approach to the game. With the current situation, there will never be a better time to let him compete for a spot. He's of little or no further value in the pen, but stands to make a difference in the rotation. Let's do it!
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Triple Crown

It seems like the majority are picking Nova & Joba to fill the two spots. The only problem I have with that is I think the Yanks would rather have one of the two spots going to someone with more ML experience.

I picked Garcia over Duchscherer as that more experienced starter simply because he's been healthier more recently.

Since both Nova & Joba would probably be around 90-100 pitches after 4-5 innings anyway, I kind of like the idea of using both of them every fifth day, with both sharing the starting assignment -- one pitches the first 5 innings, the other relieves him. Then they swap the starting role 5 days later.

My pick is Garcia as the #4 guy and Nova/Joba as the #5 guy(s).

NYYF Legend

Is there any indication anywhere that the Yankees would consider moving Joba back into the rotation? IMO there's a better chance he gets traded than starts for the Yankees again.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Triple Crown

Though I voted Duchscherer and Joba, I can live with Garcia and Nova. I think Garcia would fill the role of a number 4 starter fine, and I can trust Nova with the fifth spot.

Sign: Garcia, Duchscherer (bullpen/fight for the fifth spot), Andruw Jones, and Jerry Hairston. That can't cost more than seven million, have money for the season where we're able to make trades and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Legend

Why hasn't Duchscherer been signed yet? He makes so much sense for this team right now.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Joba....never liked him as a starter, not interested in going down that path again.
    You never liked him as a starter? Ever? Not even maybe once?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3195354

Thread Information