Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

So, who got a Droid?

Post away
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Released Outright

Re: So, who got a Droid?

Shall I assume this was for me?

Getting a Droid today. What "apps" do I need for it? I'm new to most of this so be gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegrrrl77 View Post
    Shall I assume this was for me?

Getting a Droid today. What "apps" do I need for it? I'm new to most of this so be gentle.

You may, indeed
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

I gotz one.

I had the original Droid, but smashed the screen a few weeks back. I replaced it with a Droid X. I'm a fan.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I can upgrade my phone weekend, but I'm holding out to see what Verizon 4G stuff looks like/costs before deciding. Sometime in early 2011 I'll either get a Droid or Sprint Evo. I have to do something though because Razr's aren't designed to last 4 years.

NYYF Legend

Got one two weeks ago.

Lookout Security is good. Your phone screams when you lose it.

Advanced Task Killer Free or something similar. Your phone will run stuff without you knowing, and this stops them.

Shazam free. Hold it up to the radio and it tells you what song is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    Got one two weeks ago.

Lookout Security is good. Your phone screams when you lose it.

Advanced Task Killer Free or something similar. Your phone will run stuff without you knowing, and this stops them.

Shazam free. Hold it up to the radio and it tells you what song is playing.
    I've heard from some pretty decent sources that you should NOT use any task killers on Android. They actually slow the phone down because they try to kill processes that *need* to finish. You have no idea what any of those tasks are doing in the background at a given moment, so you have no idea if it's without issue or not. You may not notice any changes if your phone is new, but 6 months, 8 months, a year from now it may be a very different story.

Shazam was cool, until I ID'd my 5th song, and I had to wait a month unless I purchase the full version.

Start with Angry Birds, K-9 mail, Dolphin HD Browser, Savvy Shopper
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I've heard from some pretty decent sources that you should NOT use any task killers on Android. They actually slow the phone down because they try to kill processes that *need* to finish You have no idea what any of those tasks are doing in the background at a given moment, so you have no idea if it's without issue or not. You may not notice any changes if your phone is new, but 6 months, 8 months, a year from now it may be a very different story.
    I know someone who has worked there for many many years (corporate, not retail) and recommended I get one. I don't use it every ten minutes, maybe 3 times a day

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    I know someone who has worked there for many many years (corporate, not retail) and recommended I get one. I don't use it every ten minutes, maybe 3 times a day
    Would you mind asking him/her if the concerns I posted are valid? That would be some good inside info.
    Team Northern Lights

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    I gotz one.

I had the original Droid, but smashed the screen a few weeks back. I replaced it with a Droid X. I'm a fan.
    How did you smash the screen? This is something that terrifies me about my new fancy phone. do I need a case? Do they even work?

How did you smash the screen? This is something that terrifies me about my new fancy phone. do I need a case? Do they even work?
    Not sure about Droid, but I know from personal experience that the iPhone cases help a ton. My daughter dropped hers, as did two friends of mine. Case saved them all 3 times. They've even done "crash tests" with them, and they really help save the phone.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

I've had the Samsung Fascinate for a little under 3 months now and I love it. (and it sure is a hell of an upgrade over my Razr, haha!)

Handcent is waaay better than the native sms app.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Would you mind asking him/her if the concerns I posted are valid? That would be some good inside info.
    I found this to be a good read on how android multitasking functions. http://android-developers.blogspot.c...droid-way.html

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ighlight=droid

Just sayin.

That said, I'm still happy with my HTC Incredible. Favorite apps that are sort of unusual: Yogiisms, Color Wheel, Color Note, My Days.

I have the Droid Ten. He is great.
    Pardon, for us.

-Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Not sure about Droid, but I know from personal experience that the iPhone cases help a ton. My daughter dropped hers, as did two friends of mine. Case saved them all 3 times. They've even done "crash tests" with them, and they really help save the phone.
    There is a screen protector called Zagg Invisible shield. They sell it at Best Buy. Supposedly you can scratch it, drop heavy things on it, poke it with sharp objects, etc and it will protect the phone screen. If the screen protector gets damaged, you can bring it back and they will give you a brand new one. My daughter got one for her iPhone (front and back), hubby has one on his Evo (and he has practically crushed his phone with no ill effects) and I will get one when I get my droid phone.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    There is a screen protector called Zagg Invisible shield. They sell it at Best Buy. Supposedly you can scratch it, drop heavy things on it, poke it with sharp objects, etc and it will protect the phone screen. If it gets damaged, you can bring it back and they will give you a brand new one. My daughter got one for her iPhone (front and back), hubby has one on his Evo (and he has practically crushed his phone with no ill effects) and I will get one when I get my droid phone.
    I have it
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

I love my new-ish wallpaper. I think it's just called "Snow Live Wallpaper" if you search on the droid market. Very pretty. Just trees in a forest with snow falling..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I love my new-ish wallpaper. I think it's just called "Snow Live Wallpaper" if you search on the droid market. Very pretty. Just trees in a forest with snow falling..
    My hubby has something with falling snow on his screen, too. Don't know if it's the same one.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

I have the Christmas scenes with the falling snow. So pretty.

You're right - that is awesome. I got the free one. I wonder what the difference is between that and the one that's a dollar.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

I jumped out of my car, tried to flip my phone to my hand like I always do, and fumbled it. Screen hit the pavement dead on. Now I have an "Otter Box" case. I think I could run a truck over it now and it would survive.

I got that one as well. I upgraded to the Droid 2 its a lot faster for me and idk I just like the feel of it better.

Thread Information