+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIP Elizabeth

NYYF Legend

RIP Elizabeth

Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

NYYF Legend

Re: RIP Elizabeth

Very sad. She handled her life with grace.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

Sad for her family, especially her children. The two youngest are 12 and 10, I believe.
    I wonder if the eldest daughter (28) will take over the responsibility of being the primary caretaker for them..... I think they'd be better with her than with their father.

RIP, Elizabeth.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

NYYF Legend

So in the last 14 years of her life, she lost a son, had breast cancer twice, and her husband had an affair. Talk about a tough run of luck.

NYYF Legend

When I saw this thread title my first thought was, "the Queen of England died"?

RIP Elizabeth Edwards, as Ryan said, it has been a tough past few years for her.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smr15 View Post
    Sad for her family, especially her children. The two youngest are 12 and 10, I believe.
    I wonder if the eldest daughter (28) will take over the responsibility of being the primary caretaker for them..... I think they'd be better with her than with their father.

RIP, Elizabeth.
    John Edwards may not have been the ideal husband but is there anything I should know about him being a bad father? I can't recall hearing anything but I didn't follow the gossip that closely.

Very sad for the kids. Can't imagine what it would be like losing a mother at those ages. Has to be very tough.
    Baseball is life;

RIP, Elizabeth.
    Very sad. She was 48 and 50 when her last two kids were born. I can't imagine losing my mother now, much less at those ages. 61 is too young.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Legend

Her battle is finished. May she rest in peace.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Very sad. She was 48 and 50 when her last two kids were born. I can't imagine losing my mother now, much less at those ages. 61 is too young.
    50? The kids are adopted?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    No. not everyone has kids early in life these days.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I felt so bad when I heard about this earlier today. I don't even know her but my heart goes out to her. May she RIP.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    John Edwards may not have been the ideal husband but is there anything I should know about him being a bad father? I can't recall hearing anything but I didn't follow the gossip that closely.
    Let's call it a gut feeling. He didn't seem to care too much about the absolute hell he put not only his wife, but his kids through with his affair.
    He denied fathering the child of his mistress until push came to shove.

I don't know. I'm just going to trust my gut and say the kids would be better off on a daily basis with their sister. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in their lives, but I think their primary care might be better satisfied with the older sister.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    She had two older children - a daughter, now 28, and another son who died at 16 in a car accident.
    The younger two were later in life children.

NYYF Legend

Let's call it a gut feeling. He didn't seem to care too much about the absolute hell he put not only his wife, but his kids through with his affair.
    He denied fathering the child of his mistress until push came to shove.

I don't know. I'm just going to trust my gut and say the kids would be better off on a daily basis with their sister. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in their lives, but I think their primary care might be better satisfied with the older sister.
    I don't know if the older sister is any better equipped to handle a 12 and 10 year old any more than I was at that age. I certainly couldn't have done a good job of it.

I certainly will make no judgments of the man for having an affair. He may have learned a lot from his experiences that would make him a better person, who know.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

I have a feeling it may be a 'community' type of arrangement. I think there's quite a bit of family there in North Carolina.

The best of luck to all of them.
    Its a horrible situation to deal with.

Damn cancer.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Rest in peace.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

NYYF Legend

Rest In Peace.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by wexy View Post
    Rest In Peace.

RIP Elizabeth.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    My mother died of breast cancer just before she turned 60 so I can say firsthand that it is not fun and you never get over it.

Rest in Peace, Elizabeth.

28 in '12

A nice tribute from James Fallows:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...edwards/67668/
    Nearly seven years ago, during the New Hampshire primary campaigns of the 2004 election, the Atlantic hosted a dinner for politicians and strategists in Manchester. At the time John Edwards was fighting hard against John Kerry, Howard Dean, Wesley Clark, and the others. The dinner had a lot of genuine big-shots who were used to listening to themselves and having their views sought. Two of the TV network news anchors; other journalistic big-foot types; some academics, plus several candidates' campaign managers; and Mitt Romney, then the sitting governor of Massachusetts, there to represent the GOP.

The longer the evening went on, the more people kept deferring to and asking questions of Elizabeth Edwards. By the end, it was like a seminar that she was conducting for the rest. She was talking mainly not about her husband's campaign but about her assessment of the larger shape of the presidential race. Where Bush and Cheney would be most vulnerable in the general election; what Karl Rove had figured out; how the New Hampshire results would position the Democrats for "mini-Tuesday" the next week and "super-Tuesday" a month later; how Democrats could talk about economic justice without sounding like big-government spendthrifts; what to say and do about Iraq.There was nothing "brave" or tragic about it, just someone who was intelligent, clear-eyed, and tough. I would like to remember that accomplished side of her.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby View Post
    My mother died of breast cancer just before she turned 60 so I can say firsthand that it is not fun and you never get over it.

Rest in Peace, Elizabeth.
    I'm sorry. I didn't know that. My mother was 63. Sucks, doesn't it?
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

My MIL died of it at 67. She was the greatest lady I'm so sad my kids barely remember her and my youngest never got to meet her. So sad.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I never followed her much, but she seemed like a very dignified lady.

How was John received by her family and friends, since he stood by her bedside in her last few days.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

R.i.p.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

I had just looked at the Yahoo home page before I left work, and the headline read, "Gravely ill". So I was shocked to learn of her death about an hour later.

The battle is over, but she is now at peace, in the best of all places. What a tremendously strong person she was.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Thread Information