+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Jenks

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Bobby Jenks

I really like.

2010: ERA+99, WHIP 1.367, 10.4 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, .51 HR/9,~60% GB rate, FIP 2.62

FB average velocity 95 mph (higher than previous 3 years)

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=P#pitchtype

Re: Bobby Jenks

That .51 HR/9 really stands out too, Cellular field led all of baseball in HR/9. Keeping the ball in the park is a very useful at YS.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Big fan. I expect him to get a closer's gig though which will prevent the Yankees obviously from signing him. My guess is he ends up in Tampa.

I'd REALLY like to pick him up though.

Agreed. Tampa would be a good spot for him.

Released Outright

Rays fans have basically assumed he'll be their 2011 closer.

He'll probably get a closer gig somewhere although him setting up Mo would be an ideal scenario.

Random question but does Jenks have any conditioning problems? Any issues with wearing down late in the year? Only reason I ask is because he is a bigger guy and with us already having one reliever with questionable conditioning in Joba, it was just something I figured was worth bringing up.

i think there might have been some concerns a few years ago, but i haven't heard anything the past year or two.

i'm pretty sure the "conditioning concerns" over joba have been assuaged since we drafted him. he hasn't had a single weight-related problem that i can think of since his days at nebraska. his problems are more about repeating his mechanics.

granted there are guys out there who are going to hold out for closing roles with teams (soriano, wood, jenks), but how many teams are there out there that will be willing to pay these guys what they are going to demand?

mets?
    rays? (who aren't going to pay soriano but will pay jenks?)
    braves?

i think when all is said and done we will have one guy that can't find a closers job that will take the "bridge to Mo" role, which you could argue is every bit as pressure-packed and valuable as a closer with any other team.

jenks would be a great fit, but i'm hoping we can entice wood to come back since he was so successful at filling the role last year (the last couple playoff games not-withstanding).

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    i think there might have been some concerns a few years ago, but i haven't heard anything the past year or two.

i'm pretty sure the "conditioning concerns" over joba have been assuaged since we drafted him. he hasn't had a single weight-related problem that i can think of since his days at nebraska. his problems are more about repeating his mechanics.

granted there are guys out there who are going to hold out for closing roles with teams (soriano, wood, jenks), but how many teams are there out there that will be willing to pay these guys what they are going to demand?

mets?
    rays? (who aren't going to pay soriano but will pay jenks?)
    braves?

i think when all is said and done we will have one guy that can't find a closers job that will take the "bridge to Mo" role, which you could argue is every bit as pressure-packed and valuable as a closer with any other team.

jenks would be a great fit, but i'm hoping we can entice wood to come back since he was so successful at filling the role last year (the last couple playoff games not-withstanding).
    Soriano is a type A FA coming off a great year with the team with the best record in baseball.

Jenks was non-tendered by a non-playoff team.

and the similarities stop there!

Jenks will sign for 5+ million as a closer. Solid pitcher but I don't think it will happen unless Yanks overpay.
    [SIZE=5][B][SIZE=2]

Javier Vazquez's 2010 season

22-3... 2.55 ERA... 375 K
    [/SIZE]

[/B][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by delv View Post
    Soriano is a type A FA coming off a great year with the team with the best record in baseball.

Jenks was non-tendered by a non-playoff team.

and the similarities stop there!
    how exactly are those similarities?

both of them are guys that are looking for a closers job, but if you are a team looking for a closer and you have to choose between a guy that is going to cost you draft picks and a big contract, vs. a guy that might just cost you a mid-sized contract, who are you going to go after?

i think jenk's demands are helped by the fact that he was non-tendered while soriano's type A status hurts him. tampa will have more competition for jenks than you think. now it's possible he chooses to take less money to go there than some other team, but it's also possible another team offers him more than the small market rays and he chooses that route.

i'm just saying, when the dust clears on the major FA signings there should be at least one closer-level reliever without a contract.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    how exactly are those similarities?

both of them are guys that are looking for a closers job, but if you are a team looking for a closer and you have to choose between a guy that is going to cost you draft picks and a big contract, vs. a guy that might just cost you a mid-sized contract, who are you going to go after?

i think jenk's demands are helped by the fact that he was non-tendered while soriano's type A status hurts him. tampa will have more competition for jenks than you think. now it's possible he chooses to take less money to go there than some other team, but it's also possible another team offers him more than the small market rays and he chooses that route.

i'm just saying, when the dust clears on the major FA signings there should be at least one closer-level reliever without a contract.
    it was a joke...

Rays fans have basically assumed he'll be their 2011 closer.
    There are Rays fans?
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

@ delv - oh, sorry... i didn't pick up on it.

@ newerayanks -

He will close.

I agree with everyone else. Would be a great pickup but it won't happen.

NYYF Legend

Rays fans
    Please explain.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan View Post
    Please explain.
    draysbay.com. Great site

NYYF Legend

the real question is Jenks or Wood, who would you take?
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

The one with better peripherals? Wood is going to really disappoint some team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    All things being equal? Jenks in a landslide.

NYYF Legend

If Benoit got 3/15, I'll let you guys complete the sentence...

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    And if Werth got 7/126 to set the market for closers
    "And from what we know of Pedroia's nature you can assume it won't be long before he's on his knees again"

Quote Originally Posted by LK8592 View Post
    And if Werth got 7/126 to set the market for closers
    That's outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Benoit came off a dominant season, Jenks came off one of his worst. I'd bet good money he gets a deal worse than Benoit.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Jenks, by a lot.

Thread Information