+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Addicted Member

Parking increase for 2011 season

From Lohud :
    The Daily News is reporting that the company that controls the parking situation around Yankee Stadium is planning to jack up prices yet again next season, this time from $23 to $35. Valet will go from $36 to $45. This is the same group that ramped up to $40 for this yearís playoffs games.
    The whole thing is a debacle. Somehow, it seems, the city of New York forgot that people use the subway around here. The article says that only 60 percent of the stadium parking is used on a regular game day, and even when the Red Sox came to town in August, the lots were far below capacity.
    The Yankees have no say in this matter. Bronx Parking Development is its own entity, and itís hoping for some help from the city government.

Insane, I guess I will be taking mass transit alot more.
    http://twitter.com/NYMoot
    http://nyystarsandpinstripes.blogspot.com

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Parking increase for 2011 season

Does that also cover the lots off of exit 5/6 of the Deegan? That's always where I go. Think it was $19 this season.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I know space is at a premium down there, but that's ridiculous. So glad I take the train in.

Devoted Member

The last time I went to a Yankees game by car was 1989. You will see me only on Metro-North, the 4 train or the D train.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

NYYF Legend

These increases aren't a surprise, the prices were set in the bond offering and if I remember correctly prices will go up again for 2012. They're going to lose more customers and default on the bonds, so after they're bankrupt prices will come back down. In the mean time, park at the mall, much cheaper & easy in and out

Addicted Member

That is insane. I didn't like the increase to $23 this year. No way I park there next year if this is accurate. Where is the mall you park at? I come from upstate south on the Deegan.

NYYF Legend

wow, thats nuts, parking is more expensive than some seats. I'd imagine 2011 postseason will be probably $50
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I drove down once in the last two years and now I'll never drive down.
    Life is good!

That's a huge increase. Cost wise, driving was a little less expensive than the train for the family this past year so we did some of both but that increase will switch us to train only.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona1975 View Post
    That's a huge increase. Cost wise, driving was a little less expensive than the train for the family this past year so we did some of both but that increase will switch us to train only.
    There are formulas that can be used to determine what price will maximize profits. At some point (and that point has probably already been met), increasing price decreases profit. Don't they get that?

The few times I drove in for weekday games, I parked up at the Stadium in the morning and then took the subway to Midtown. Paying the $23 for the entire day and then for the game was not such a bad deal, considering the prices charged for parking in Midtown. It's not such a good deal at $35.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Does that also cover the lots off of exit 5/6 of the Deegan? That's always where I go. Think it was $19 this season.
    Those lots were $23 during the regular season and $40 for the postseason.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    In the mean time, park at the mall, much cheaper & easy in and out
    I have never parked at any mall around there. Where is it in relation to the stadium?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Stanesq View Post
    I have never parked at any mall around there. Where is it in relation to the stadium?
    I know there is one with garage style parking just south of the lots I was talking about above.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

JHC. That's ridiculous. That's like Fenway prices.

Glad I take the train.

Just ride your motorcycle to the game, and that way you can park it on the street for free. Park near some of the many police so it stays safe. Plus you won't get caught in a traffic jam since you can filter through the stopped traffic and soon be speeding home.

Looks like I'll be taking the train from now on.

Does anyone know how to get to the mall parking? Is there any kind of tailgating allowed? $35 and I may reconsider keeping season tickets.

Devoted Member

Reading this thread about parking has been an education for me. I had assumed for the past several years, when I have been attending more Yankees games, that the people who came to Yankee Stadium by car were (a) first-timers, (b) tourists, or (c) people making their once-per-season visit to the stadium with a big family. Now it seems like a lot of people regularly drive to the games.

Being from an area where public transportation is basically non-existent, I find it to be a great convenience that I can leave my car in New Haven and easily take a train, and sometimes also a subway, to the stadium. I get home to Massachusetts earlier by train + car than if I drive the whole way. I know it might not be so easy from New Jersey, but I had always thought that most people from other directions go there by public means.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Reading this thread about parking has been an education for me. I had assumed for the past several years, when I have been attending more Yankees games, that the people who came to Yankee Stadium by car were (a) first-timers, (b) tourists, or (c) people making their once-per-season visit to the stadium with a big family. Now it seems like a lot of people regularly drive to the games.

Being from an area where public transportation is basically non-existent, I find it to be a great convenience that I can leave my car in New Haven and easily take a train, and sometimes also a subway, to the stadium. I get home to Massachusetts earlier by train + car than if I drive the whole way. I know it might not be so easy from New Jersey, but I had always thought that most people from other directions go there by public means.
    Sadly, it's still cheaper to bring a family of four to the game from CT by car, than it is to pay round-trip train prices from a place like Fairfield.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    These increases aren't a surprise, the prices were set in the bond offering and if I remember correctly prices will go up again for 2012. They're going to lose more customers and default on the bonds, so after they're bankrupt prices will come back down. In the mean time, park at the mall, much cheaper & easy in and out
    A price increase isn't a surprise but it wasn't supposed to hit $35 until 2014 at the earliest.

Screen shot 2010-10-30 at 2.03.04 PM.jpg

Yankee Stadium is at the top, The Gateway Center (the new mall) is at the bottom.

Addicted Member

Just wondering how hard/easy is it to find street parking around the area? I mean, I know it isnt the best area but if it was a day game in the future I may think of trying it.
    http://twitter.com/NYMoot
    http://nyystarsandpinstripes.blogspot.com

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AnAbombfromA-rod13 View Post
    Just wondering how hard/easy is it to find street parking around the area? I mean, I know it isnt the best area but if it was a day game in the future I may think of trying it.
    Alot of people do street parking and take their chances in towaway zones. I dont have the time to dick around with getting my car out of impound so I stick with the lots.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post

In 2010 travelling by car with 2 people, much less my usual 4, it was always cheaper to drive than to take the trains. It was also almost always significantly faster on weekends to travel by car than by train. On weekdays/weeknights it was waaay faster to travel by car than by train.

At $35 a pop for parking, people will be less likely to attend games, possibly further depressing the SH/reseller's market.

For night games, it will now by cheaper to park on the UWS/UES, if you don't pay for parking, and take the subway up to the Stadium. Sure, it's not as convenient as parking 200 yards from the Stadium, but when solo, or with only one other person, that will be the way to go in 2011.
    formerly busyspaetzel

Thread Information