+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 96 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast

Re: 2010-2011 Official Off-Season Thread

Here is what I want for 2011, this is not in any particular order:

1. Sign Cliff Lee

2. Re-sign Andy Pettitte (whether they sign Lee or not)

3. Re-sign Jeter (probably 5 yr deal)

4. Re-sign Mariano (2 yr deal)

5. Re-sign Kerry Wood (if he is willing to take less money, maybe like the deal we gave Farnsworth a few years ago)

6. Decline Nick Johnson's 2011 option

7. Do not re-sign Vazquez

8. DO NOT sign Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui. Stop bringing back former Yankee players, it almost never works out, look what happened with Johnson and Vazquez this year, also Mike Stanton and many others who were brought back except Tino and Andy.

9. Re-sign Marcus Thames (probably 1 yr deal as part time DH/OF, I doubt they are bringing Berkman back)

10. Get a catcher who can throw out runners trying to steal bases

11. Trade Joba Chamberlain for whatever they can get now before they ruin his value any further

12. Let Girardi go and get a new manager, but not Joe Torre. I wonder if Willie Randolph would be any good? He has been waiting a long time to manage the Yankees

13. Dont trade Burnett because any team will make the Yankees pay half his salary for the next 3 years. At least give him a chance with a new manager

An AAV of $24mil is loony for any pitcher, but this is the same guy who backed up the whole "Yankees should be terrified of Lee!" nonsense by pitching a 13K shutout on the road. In other words, he'll probably be worth every single penny of whatever he gets.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    6/144
    I'll take the under... but not by much
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I think if Lee signs with the Yankees his contract will be bigger than CC's.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Zilla View Post

No chance. None.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

So many questions offensively, particularly for next post season and beyond. Does the team go into the season thinking that 2011 is the year that players like Swisher finally break through in the post season or does Cashman address the fact that this team has too many streaky hitters (Tex, Swisher, Granderson) and too many aging players in decline (Jeter, Arod, Po).

That's far too many players - 2/3 of the team whose bats seem to go silent in unison. And do we really want a Marcus Thames as a fulltime DH next post season?

As much as I think the signing of Lee is a must, and that AJ, who is no better than a .500 pitcher, shouldn't be relied on being anything higher than a #4 or 5, this offense has issues that need to be addressed. Montero might be a good start.

NYYF Cy Young

You want Jeter re-signed for 5 more years. Really?
    Hes one of those guys you dream about at night, you know? Not in a good way, in a bad way. ............Damon on AJ .

Mystique , Aura and Kate Hudson .

NYYF Legend

Do whatever it takes to improve. If that means signing Lee, Werth, or whomever, so be it. I don't give a rat's ass what the haters think. In the same position, they would do likewise. Promote Jesus and have some patience with him, and if possible bring back Wood. The philosophy is simple. Internal development and promotion, and acquisition through FA and trades, are all tools that should be used to make the Yankees championship contenders each year.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by iWant27 View Post
    You want Jeter re-signed for 5 more years. Really?
    I heard he was probably going to get around 5 years. I heard the Yankees were going to base his contract term and salary off his past performance with the team, and not just on only what he did this year or the last few seasons.

Any talk of signing Jeter to a five-year deal is just lunacy.

I am of the opinion that his .710 OPS and terrible postseason numbers are not necessarily a fluke and this may be just the type of player he is at this stage of his career.

Sure, he could possibly bounce back. But is that really likely for a guy who is going to be 37 a few months into next season and who has a ton of miles on his body?

Ok Cliff Lee is a must. Keep Hughes let him develop. Have to get some stability in the pen, def bring back Wood. Get rid of the crap we have in there now. Get a real bat in left field Gardner is a ok player but come on he looked like garbage. Keep Thames on the bench please pinch hitting and some dhing but thats it. O last thing get a catcher who can make a throw to second and not bounce one to third.

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic View Post
    Any talk of signing Jeter to a five-year deal is just lunacy.

I am of the opinion that his .710 OPS and terrible postseason numbers are not necessarily a fluke and this may be just the type of player he is at this stage of his career.

Sure, he could possibly bounce back. But is that really likely for a guy who is going to be 37 a few months into next season and who has a ton of miles on his body?
    For some reason I thought he was 35 but you are right about his age. I have heard people say he will get 5 year 100 million or 4 year 100 million, which I think is way too much salary. here is one of the articles, I have seen many like this over the past month or so. Keep in mind that Arod is under contract till age 42 so if they do give Jeter 5 years I would not be surprised. I just hope its not a 100 mill deal like so many people are speculating:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Yankee...42860.html?x=0

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwin43 View Post
    Ok Cliff Lee is a must. Keep Hughes let him develop. Have to get some stability in the pen, def bring back Wood. Get rid of the crap we have in there now. Get a real bat in left field Gardner is a ok player but come on he looked like garbage. Keep Thames on the bench please pinch hitting and some dhing but thats it. O last thing get a catcher who can make a throw to second and not bounce one to third.
    Gardner is fast though, the Yankees have always lacked speed on the bases. Thames would be a good pinch hitter and part time DH

I heard he was probably going to get around 5 years. I heard the Yankees were going to base his contract term and salary off his past performance with the team, and not just on only what he did this year or the last few seasons.
    This is a nightmare scenario.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

I wonder if it would be able to give Jetes a 3-year contract if we overpay him for the years. Like 3/55?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    6/144
    6/$144M...?

Really?

The only way it gets that high, is if they sense the Red Sox are lurking. Texas won't come near that.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    I wonder if it would be able to give Jetes a 3-year contract if we overpay him for the years. Like 3/55?
    I think if you go 3/$60M..he might go for that. I think what you proposed is pretty much what he's making now. I love DJ, but this series showed, he's on the downside of his career.

NYYF Cy Young

Everyone talks about signing Lee. but if Texas wins the World Series, and maybe even if they don't, the bond he will have with his current team may very well make him decide to stay there if he gets a reasonable offer, which he will.And with no state income tax, Texas probably can come close to the Yankees offer if not match it. So I wouldn't start counting chickens, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Everyone talks about signing Lee. but if Texas wins the World Series, and maybe even if they don't, the bond he will have with his current team may very well make him decide to stay there if he gets a reasonable offer, which he will.And with no state income tax, Texas probably can come close to the Yankees offer if not match it. So I wouldn't start counting chickens, as they say.
    One thing they have working for them, I think, is that Lee's been on 4 teams since last July, so his bond with any team isn't particularly strong. In fact, considering his much publicized friendship with CC (and all the time they spent playing together), he might have a stronger bond there than with a team he played a few months for.

NYYF Cy Young

I only hope you're right! CC better start recruiting now!

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    CC Sabathia absolutely loves Milwaukee. He's a hero there.

Addicted Member

Gardner is fast though, the Yankees have always lacked speed on the bases. Thames would be a good pinch hitter and part time DH
    I have to agree with Sherwin. I thought Gardner would be better served as a part-time/pinch runner. He has decent range, but his arm sucked. Crawford is a better all-around player and put him at the top of the lineup, he and Jeter could make the offense better.

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthbayyankeeD View Post
    I have to agree with Sherwin. I thought Gardner would be better served as a part-time/pinch runner. He has decent range, but his arm sucked. Crawford is a better all-around player and put him at the top of the lineup, he and Jeter could make the offense better.
    On one hand...
    Carl Crawford: 2.62 WAR.
    Brett Gardner: 0.91 WAR.

On the other hand...
    Carl Crawford: $11.5 million and due for a raise in free agency.
    Brett Gardner: $0.452 million and not even eligible for arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by groovitude View Post
    On one hand...
    Carl Crawford: 2.62 WAR.
    Brett Gardner: 0.91 WAR.

On the other hand...
    Carl Crawford: $11.5 million and due for a raise in free agency.
    Brett Gardner: $0.452 million and not even eligible for arbitration.
    I have no idea where you're getting your numbers from since BR has Gardner at 4.0 WAR and fangraphs has him at 5.4. Crawford is at 4.8 and 6.9.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26
    i was kinda dissapointed when the story didnt end with mule sex....but whatev
    Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    Do I get to finger blast Kate Upton in your fantasy land?

there is about $140M commited next year with no Andy, Mo, or Jeter. You also have to come up with a bench (6 position players). Phil, Joba, Ace, Pena, and Cervelli will all get raises. Say all of them combined pull down $10M.

The Yankees will probably want to stay within their $220M budget limit.

Mo will get his $15M.

Lee will get $20-22M.

Jeter will get $20M.

So now you're looking at $207M, there's no Andy, and you have no bench. Something has to give.

Thread Information