+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Talking on Cell Phone while Driving Citation

I got a ticket for talking on my cell phone while driving about a month ago. The cop told me it was a minimal fine. Looked it up and it said $20 for first offense and $50 for second offense. I went to the court yesterday to pay the fine and was told it was $145. What? How does a citation that is supposed to be $20 (first offense) get to be $145? Does anyone know anything about the law in Los Angeles and how I can find out. As it stands I got a postponement on paying the fine and would like to get more info. Any info would be appreciated.

28 in '12

Re: Talking on Cell Phone while Driving Citation

The difference could be court costs, state fees, county/city fees, etc. While the statute may state $20 for the offense, it will not list any additional costs or penalties and most people will not know about them until they appear in court.
    The very first time...was kinda astonishing.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I can only tell you that I got caught talking on my cell (business call....GRRRRR) and was issued a 100$something dollar fine. I sent in a not-guilty plea, went to court and the prosecutor reduced it to $30-. I was quite pleased.....and 100x more upset that I finally got a ticket after being pulled over at least 20x - 25x for speeding, cell phone, and other various charges.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I can only tell you that I got caught talking on my cell (business call....GRRRRR) and was issued a 100$something dollar fine. I sent in a not-guilty plea, went to court and the prosecutor reduced it to $30-. I was quite pleased.....and 100x more upset that I finally got a ticket after being pulled over at least 20x - 25x for speeding, cell phone, and other various charges.
    It's hell getting old.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by West Texas View Post
    The difference could be court costs, state fees, county/city fees, etc. While the statute may state $20 for the offense, it will not list any additional costs or penalties and most people will not know about them until they appear in court.
    If that is the case then it is really a rip off.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

Wow, you are lucky they reduced it to $30. I'm upset because I never get tickets. In all the years I am driving I have only gotten about 2 tickets for moving violations because I am a good driver. As for the cell phone, I almost never use it when driving so it was so annoying to get a ticket for it when people abuse this constantly and don't get caught.

28 in '12

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    It's hell getting old.
    it sure does...however, I don't know if it would have mattered on this one - the cell phone thing seems to be a hot topic...a REALLY cute and young girl that works for me got that ticket and went to court and thought she'd get out of it..no-can-do. The judge went off on her for about 10 minutes and i think that fine was even higher.

I only use my bluetooth - it's just not worth it...

NYYF Legend

Yeah, I am going to plead not guilty too and see what happens. However, you have to pay the fine up front before you can file your not guilty plea. Bummer!

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

I have bluetooth built into my car, but before that, I tried not to talk on the phone while driving. Sometimes I did, but I didn't like doing it. If I had gotten pulled over, I would have deserved it.

IMO, they don't enforce the cell phone law enough. It sucks to get a ticket for it, especially when others so blatantly ignore the law, but thems the brakes. Sorry.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

The fine should be much higher. People shouldn't talk on cell phones (unless hands free) while driving.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

It's actually kind of annoying in general. No matter what you are doing, it's distracting.....talking, dialing, talking on a hands free set, using a blue tooth, etc. Bottom line is, a phone in someone's car that's being used is distracting. Lately I've been putting mine on silent and keeping it in the side door so I'm not even tempted to look at it.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

It's actually kind of annoying in general. No matter what you are doing, it's distracting.....talking, dialing, talking on a hands free set, using a blue tooth, etc. Bottom line is, a phone in someone's car that's being used is distracting. Lately I've been putting mine on silent and keeping it in the side door so I'm not even tempted to look at it.
    Why not just turn it off and keep it in the glove compartment? If an emergency, then you can use it. End of distractions and temptations.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The fine should be much higher. People shouldn't talk on cell phones (unless hands free) while driving.
    Accident rates using hands free devices are the same as with hand held devices.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Why not just turn it off and keep it in the glove compartment? If an emergency, then you can use it. End of distractions and temptations.
    I usually keep it on in case my kids are trying to reach me. I've been trying not to use it while driving and luckily I'm fairly close to home when I'm on calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona1975 View Post
    OK. No Cell Phones. You convinced me. Stop somewhere and make the call.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona1975 View Post
    That was my point.....no matter what you do with your cell phone, hands free or not, bottom line is, it's distracting.

Drivers shouldn't talk to another person in the car either.
    Complaining is a choice

IMO, the cellphone law is crap.

If I'm talking on a cellphone in the car, but otherwise not doing anything illegal, there shouldn't be a ticket given.

"Yeah, but people who talk on cellphones drive bad!" Then they should be pulled over for whatever driving law they're breaking at the time.

I see the idiots that can't talk and drive at the same time, but that doesn't mean talking on the phone itself should be a crime.

Also-- tell me if this makes sense:

I can talk on the phone using hands-free.

I can drive with one hand legally.

I can dial a phone while I'm driving.

But I can't hold the phone to my ear.

Just for the record, I rarely use my cellphone at all-- driving or not.

I just hate BS laws.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I think the issue is distracted driving period. I've seen people shaving on the highway. I saw one person eating a bowl of cereal while driving and once I saw a couple having sex while driving. Not to mention doing things like changing the CD in the player, changing a radio station. It isn't just the cell phone. And as you said with the hands-free set, you still look at the phone to see who's calling or to dial.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I think the issue is distracted driving period. I've seen people shaving on the highway. I saw one person eating a bowl of cereal while driving and once I saw a couple having sex while driving. Not to mention doing things like changing the CD in the player, changing a radio station. It isn't just the cell phone. And as you said with the hands-free set, you still look at the phone to see who's calling or to dial.
    Having sex? How the hell.....nvm, I don't want to even know.

I agree Rick....it's all distracting and since cell phones, it's gotten so much worse IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Drivers shouldn't talk to another person in the car either.
    How about talking to yourself?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    my kid totaled our car while playing with the cd changer

NYYF Legend

How about talking to yourself?
    I literally was doing that yesterday morning. I was so livid with my daughter, that I talked to myself the whole way to work. In a raised voice. I was a little worried.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I literally was doing that yesterday morning. I was so livid with my daughter, that I talked to myself the whole way to work. In a raised voice. I was a little worried.
    I just pretend I'm singing.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

my kid totaled our car while playing with the cd changer
    I can believe that, I had a couple of close calls myself because of that. I have my music on my ipod now.
    Life is good!

Thread Information