+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

The Amazing Race Season 17

Another season of the Amazing Race is on the horizon.

Season 17 Premiere starts Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM ET/PT on CBS
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-27-10 at 01:13 AM.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Re: The Amazing Race Season 16

Episode 1 - InGame Play By Play 1st Period

Crowd filing inside the Reality TV Arena...

Hello and welcome to Episode 1 of The Amazing Race Season 17. I'm BroadwayBomber55.

Joel: And well, well, well. It is I, the quintessential studmuffin. Joel 'Delivers more package than UPS' Gertner. Crowd chanting: GERTNER! GERTNER! GERTNER!

11 teams on Amazing race. Lobster Boats transporting teams. Place: Massachusetts.

Joel: Interesting place to start the race from.
    Home shopping channel hosts? Ugh.

I think the 2 doctors will be the frontrunners right away.

A TAR fan in the front row wired for sound: Intresting teams this year! The doctors and Michael and his father, and an accapella group.

Oh my god. New element: first team to check in this leg gets an "express pass". You can use it later in the race to skip a task. Hmmmmm....interesting

London calling. First destination: London, England, United Kingdom

A TAR fan in the upper deck: Some doctors. Those home shopping hosts. Some gay black guys. Some rejects from the cast of Glee (not really!). Some annoying dating couples. An annoying beauty queen. A reunited adopted mother and daughter. A bickering father and son. Lots of cliches, and a few surprises.

And Phil's lifted eyebrow is back Crowd chanting: TAR! TAR! TAR!

Another TAR fan in the front row: Ick at these stupid little cars. Is this a product placement?
    The reunited mom & daughter look and sound eerily alike.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-27-10 at 01:26 AM.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.

Episode 1 - InGame Play By Play 2nd Period

Joel: Okay, the Diabetic reveal is definitely a hint something's gonna happen sooner or later, no matter how confident the lady doctors sound. And heh. I knew I wouldn't be alone in my Glee dig at those guys!

A TAR TV insider in the media gondola: I'm really sick of people going on this show without having a good grasp of how to drive a manual car. It's ridiculous.

Everybody freaks out on the roundabouts. They're getting pretty popular here and really do keep traffic moving.

A TAR fan in the sauna area: Those roundabouts were the bane of my existence in Santiago. People drive like maniacs in them. I think London isn't bad, but Paris is a nightmare.

Joel: Would people in England really give directions by saying "miles"? They wouldn't say "kilometres"?
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-27-10 at 01:31 AM.

Episode 1 - InGame Play By Play 3rd Period

No, Joel. We got the term FROM them (their version are called "Imperial units"--they're not all identical to what we use in the US anymore, but "miles" certainly is). And they've held onto it.

It's a real mixture. Temperature is usually in Celsius, both for weather and recipes, but height is almost always feet and inches and weight is stones and pounds, not just pounds or kilograms.

Tattoo woman actually said that she's NEVER heard of Stonehenge???

Joel: "The peasants are revolting! The peasants are revolting!"
    Gotta laugh at how easy it is to deliver cliches on the English leg of the race...

England is just as stubborn about the metric system as the US.

Love this challenge!

Teams are going to Eastnor castle.

A TAR fan in the lower bowl seats: One of my brothers got married there.

A TAR fan in the skybox seats: I wish this is the season a women's team wins the race.

Another TAR fan in the skybox seats: Come on Ron and Tony and Team Jumba.

Joel: Wow, the birth mom and daughter could be twins.

Uh-oh. This is the watermelon episode.

Oh my god! Ow! Right on the kisser!

Joel: I am in awe of this team right now.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-28-10 at 11:39 PM.

Episode 1 - InGame Play By Play Overtime

I hope she's all right can can continue racing. That was painful looking.

Joel: The match in faces, figures, and voices is actually kind of creepy. The mom/daughter team.
    I mean I bet this is one case where nobody suspected the adoption records were wrong or anything like that...

A TAR radio insider in the media gondola: Some friend... she tells her that she HAS to finish and that it's not called The Amazing Race for nothing. If I were her, I'd have to re-evaluate my friendship with her.

I dunno. She was very supportive overall.
    I don't think she did anything wrong, and she judged her friend and her capacity correctly. It got her friend motivated, and she followed it up with lots of praise.
    I kind of hated them from their intro ("home shopping hosts"), but actually seeing them in action, I like them a lot.

I made it my bitch. That's too funny!

Joel: Those 2 in the boat, Michael and Kevin, remind me of the Keystone Cops.

Dating couple Jill & Thomas are Team #1!

Doctors Nat & Kat are Team #2.

Ivy League A cappella Singers are Team #3.

Home Shopping hosts Brook & Claire are Team #4.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-27-10 at 01:51 AM.

Episode 1 - InGame Play By Play Shootout

Beach Volleyball Partners Katie & Rachel finish 5th.

Gary & Mallory finish 6th.

Michael & Kevin 7th.

Now I see the support after the fact, but right after she said that I was quite shocked. Especially since she said that she couldn't feel her face. I was thinking possible nerve damage??

Joel: Chad & Stephanie 8th.

Andie & Jenna finish 9th.

Joel: Nick & Vicki 10th.

And we have are first Philimination. Best friends Ron & Tony are gone.

I liked Ron and Tony a lot. However, I don't get why they thought they could both sit on the same side of that little turtle shell

Joel and I have fun watching the premiere. Should be a fun season.

Can't wait until next week. See you later.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-27-10 at 01:59 AM.

Episode 1 - Broadway's PostMortem

Season 17 is off to a great start.

All the teams are likable for now. I started to dislike Team Tinkerbell (don't know why they are called that), but maybe the boyfriend caught a clue after this leg so I will reserve judgement until next week. Love the lady doctors and the Gleeks. It seems like there are a lot of women this time around- maybe they are trying to ensure an all girl team wins. I thought I wouldn't like Miss. Beauty Pagent-Kentucky girl, but she kind-of won me over tonight. I reserve the right to change my mind as she may become annoying after a few legs.

The watermelon incident made me flinch and just about fall off of my chair. My god, I can't imagine how bad that had to hurt, having a full-on watermelon sprung back onto your face by a huge slingshot. Claire is definitely one tough lady, getting up and still doing the Roadblock after that hit.

She could've had a concussion and yes that injury could've took them out of the race, but given her tenacity and her teammate's encouragement (however annoying) I'm glad they advanced to the next leg.

Feel bad for Ron and Tony.

However, people can get so lost on this show...especially when they stop and ask for directions. Driving around for 3 hours?? First to last that quickly? Stop, get clear directions, use the internet, write them down...something!!

And not learning a stick shift or at least practicing it if it's been awhile? That's just a given before going on the race.

I loved the Jester's comment to the above and said I think basically she took a tough one - I do know it was said with a great deal of respect. Given that jesters are supposed to make fun or jibe people, for him to say this in this manner was very respectful and I appreciated that.

The tatooed duo made me laugh all night with these: Stonehenge
    battlement
    the boats
    The country of London

I found it interesting that the tatooed duo was the only one who seemed to get the center plank on the turtle-shell boats was where you were supposed to sit. The rest of the attempts from everyone were a riot, and I loved the father/son's comment - the dad's of "we figured it out from watching another team pass us" to bring reality back to the son.

Phil has a tremendous amount of restraint not correcting said tatooed duo though for her saying "Country of London." You could tell though he was borderline laughing this time - It seems that it's very hard for him to not break that serious tone, so he really had to find that funny for him to nearly break that manner.

Great start to Season 17.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 09-27-10 at 02:11 AM.

Finally watched last night's episode.

You think they want a female/female team winner real bad? 3 strong female teams all capable of winning this year. My rooting interest are the Jersey volleyball girls, but I think Jill and Thomas end up crossing the line first.

The bikers are quite possibly the biggest retards they ever had on the race.

Rumor has it next season could be another All-Stars and also the last one for a while since Phil is doing a yearlong yacht race around the world.

Episode 2 - InGame Play By Play 1st Period

Hello and welcome to Episode 2 of The Amazing Race Season 17. I'm BroadwayBomber55.

Joel: And well, well, well. It is I, the quintessential studmuffin. Joel 'Put your lipstick on my dipstick' Gertner. Crowd chanting: GERTNER! GERTNER! GERTNER!

A TAR fan in the upper deck wired for sound: Let's go Team Jumba! Let's get some more screen time tonight.

Uh yeah. Don't drive with your windows rolled down. Rule number one.

Car troubles already...

Joel: I hope Andie and Jenna can catch up to the front. I really like them.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-03-10 at 08:38 PM.

Episode 2 - InGame Play By Play 2nd Period

Looks like BC are getting #1 if they get through the detour quickly.

A TAR fan in the front row: Can the Express Pass winners keep it for use in the final leg or does it have to be used before a certain leg, please?

I believe it's good for the first eight.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-03-10 at 08:42 PM.

Episode 2 - InGame Play By Play 3rd Period

Joel: Yeah, I can't see being able to use it on final 3.

Brooke is really making me laugh, "Have you ever had an antenna before, sir? Glad I could bring you this service." Crowd chanting: TAR! TAR! TAR!

Oh my god. Oh no I hope the doctors don't get eliminated

Joel: It's interesting to see that having a positive attitude and trying to connect with people is a much better sales tactic than, well, pleading and complaining

It is interesting. And its convinced me over two episodes that the team I was most inclined to hate pre-show is actually the best one. The home shopping girls kind of compel you to like them.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-03-10 at 08:43 PM.

Episode 2 - InGame Play By Play Overtime

Ah, the international sales power of a blond willing to use her sex appeal. Versus the blond who didn't. She took forever to move her merchandise.

Do Bio Mom/Daughter have ANY thing to say other than how surprised they are about their similarities? It was interesting... the first ten times. Can we just call them "Mom&Clone" and be done with it?

Joel: Crazy looking coffins

A TAR fan in the skybox seats: Yay Team Jumba! Movin' up!
    Now I hope Andie and Jenna and the docs can also stick around.

A TAR fan in the sauna area: I am really scared in that three likeable teams are in the last three spots. I hope The Lady Docs and Andie & Jennacan survive, I really like them a lot. I like Mallory too, though her dad is kinda boring, but somehow I don't see them eliminated in this leg, meaning I'll lose a team I like and it'll be one less All-Lady team left to win.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-03-10 at 08:45 PM.

Episode 2 - InGame Play By Play Shootout

Brook/Claire are Team #1

Katie & Rachel finish in 2nd.

Michael & Kevin are in 3rd.

Joel: Chad & Stephanie are 4th followed by Jill/Thomas

Connor & Jonathan are in 6th.

Joel: Nat & Kat are next to finish.

Nick & Vicki are Team #8.

Joel: It's between Gary & Mallory and Andie & Jenna.

Gary/Mallory are Team #9.

Andie/Jenna are Philiminated.

Another TAR fan in the front row: Sad to see Andie and Jenna go. Two weeks and two of my favs are gone. I guess there's nobody left now for me except Team Jumba. And maybe the docs. And maybe Team Harry Potter.

A TAR fan in the lower bowl seats: Awww, darn it! I knew I had a bad feeling, they got eliminated so soon into the race! And they were so likeable, I'm so happy for them that they had zero drama while they were in the race, I wish the experience could've lasted longer for them. At least the Lady Docs are safe. Man, the taxi driving with their driver and Team Glee's driver was nail biting, I felt like I was watching an action movie.

I couldn't believe they were ramping up the taxi drivers like that They really don't need it.

So, 2 teams are gone. Who's next? Find out next week.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-03-10 at 08:53 PM.

Episode 2 - BB55's PostMortem

That taxi scene was one of the most intense finishes I've ever seen in Amazing Race history.

That was crazy.

I think Andie & Jenna will be able to get to know each other better at the Elimination Station resort than on the race itself.

My favorite line of the night was when the member of Team Glee said that he was very proud that he hadn't soiled himself yet during the wild taxi ride.

Glad that the Dad of team Jumba is surprising his son. I understand the son's perception, however it kind of bothers me.

Right now I am loving Brook and Claire. I've been surprised by how much I like them. The voice can be a bit much, but they are having so much fun AND they have such a great way of dealing with people. I know that they are in sales but that doesn't always translate in high pressure situations.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-04-10 at 12:48 PM.

Not bad, just watched it. I'd crap my pants if I was in those taxis too.

Sad to see the bio mom/daughter team to go, but they were going to end up being too annoying if they stayed any longer.

Nice rebound by the doctors after that poor roadblock showing. They'll probably get back into the top half of the standings next week. I expect either of the bottom 2 to be Philiminated next week.

Episode 3 - InGame Play By Play 1st Period

Hello and welcome to Episode 3 of The Amazing Race Season 17. I'm BroadwayBomber55.

Joel: And well, well, well. It is I, the quintessential studmuffin. Joel ‘Bigger and better than the Titanic, because only 400 women went down on the Titanic’ Gertner. Crowd chanting: GERTNER! GERTNER! GERTNER!

Here we go...

Joel: Brook's awesome <3

Once more, the Home Shopping Girls jump enthusiastically into a challenge. Brook especially is a real kick. What did that take her? 30 seconds?

Joel: The Gleeks use singing to try and get their driver to go faster. He looks entertained, but no faster than he was before.

♪ Pleeaase drive faaaasteeeer ♫

Joel: "This way..."
    That's the sound of disaster from a TAR Taxi driver... Crowd chanting: TAR! TAR! TAR! TAR!
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-10-10 at 11:10 PM.

Episode 3 - InGame Play By Play 2nd Period

Nat and Kat and the curse of a bad taxi driver. They look frustrated, especially after they begged him to turn around.

Joel: Yak attack!
    What happened to the Home Shopping Girls that they lost so much time? The Yaks allowed Team Glee's car to pass them, but they should have been much further ahead than that.

A TAR TV play by play commentator in the media gondola wired for sound: Hey Team Glee. "Africa Geography" is NOBODY'S major. But you should have boned up on WORLD GEOGRAPHY when you applied for the show.

A TAR TV color commentator in the media gondola wired for sound: Do none of these people know the meaning of the word "PAIR" clearly expressed in that clue? Geez.

READ THE CLUES! How many times does that come back to bite a team!

A TAR fan in the upper deck: Yay come on Team Glee!
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-10-10 at 11:14 PM.

Episode 3 - InGame Play By Play 3rd Period

Oh come off it. That guy is upset because they didn't go out of their way to tell him about the meaning of the word "pair"? Well GROW a pair, whatever your name is...

Joel: They were clearly pushing two wheelbarrows when he saw them, right? Its his own fault.

"You have no common sense in your whole body" Crowd chanting: holy sh*t! holy sh*t! holy sh*t!

And Nick's rage at Vicki seems a bit much. If he didn't trust her reading the clue, why didn't they double check before they left?

A TAR blog writer in the media gondola: Looks like its turned into a big-ass tie for 2nd place so far.
    Oh. And that annoying guy once again keeps trying to get other teams to help HIM.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-10-10 at 11:15 PM.

Episode 3 - InGame Play By Play Overtime

Did Phil tell Team HSN that they were going to paint and remodel the school house the next day to give back to the community?
    That's a nice touch.

Connor & Jonathan are Team #1.

Gary & Mallory are Team #2.

Joel: Chad & Stephanie are Team #3.

Katie & Rachel are Team #4.

Joel: Nick & Vicki are Team #5.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-10-10 at 11:19 PM.

Episode 3 - InGame Play By Play Shootout

Team #6 is Brook & Claire.

Joel: Jill & Thomas are right behind them.

Nat and Kat are the 8th team.

Wow, Kevin's dad seems like the heat has really sapped him. He looked ready to pass out.

Michael & Kevin are Team #9...but it's a Non-Elimination Leg.

You know what, I'm so proud of how Kevin is handling his father's heat exhaustion. He could've yelled at him or screamed at him but he didn't.

Joel: If only ALL partners could be so understanding.

That was great of Kevin handling his father's problem's

And man all the teams that tried to do the Language Arts except for TEAM GLEE could not find the decoder key.

A TAR fan in the skybox seats: Yay! The father/son team, who seem so supportive of one another, aren't out.
    I'm also happy about the glee club guys coming in first. What can I say? I'm a choir geek myself. I'd also have done terribly at the geography thing, despite years of formal schooling. I don't think Americans get enough geography in school past junior high. I know I didn't.

So, a NEL saves Michael & Kevin. Will they recover? Find out next time.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-10-10 at 11:22 PM.

Episode 3 - BB55's PostMortem

I'm happy for Michael/Kevin getting a NEL tonight.

That was inspiring how he continued to encourage him and stay by his side. Model for other teams. I hope that with the extra day of renovating he is able to rest and recoup some strength.
    Kevin has learned to respect his father and it is great to see.

Very few teams were able to read the clue for the wheelbarrow task correctly either. It reminded me of the time that Jonathan and Vicki didn't realize that a pair of donkeys meant two donkeys, not one. Maybe they were all panicking about the teams being so clustered up. It seemed like the middle of the pack teams were closer together than usual tonight.

Between the wheelbarrows, the geography quiz, and the decoder thing, I would guess not many were feeling very smart afterwards, though Kentucky Dad (sorry--I'm terrible with names) actually did well with the wheelbarrows and the geography quiz and quickly figured out the bicycle wheel trick and was able to pass it on to his daughter. Team Glee, on the other hand, though they did finish first, did not do Princeton proud (and I couldn't help but wonder if they needed that $5,000 to make some student loan payments--not that $5000 would cover much of a Princeton education, but it's $5000 less to pay in the future).

Glad to see they're doing some winter/snow tasks next week. They often don't go to really wintry climes until later in the race, unless it's some weird indoor arena, like the Dubai snowman episode a few seasons back. At least no one will be over-heating next week.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 10-10-10 at 11:25 PM.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Haven't watched this season, but the girl with the full arm tattoo looks really sexy. Is she annoying?

Episode 4 - InGame Play By Play 1st Period

Hello and welcome to Episode 4 of The Amazing Race Season 17. I'm BroadwayBomber55.

Joel: And well, well, well. It is I, the quintessential studmuffin. Joel 'So hot I gotta get in the sauna just to keep cool' Gertner. Crowd chanting: GERTNER! GERTNER! GERTNER!

Here we go...

Episode 4 - InGame Play By Play 2nd Period

The speed bump is to sit on ice furniture for 10 minutes. Kevin (the son) is wearing athletic shorts.

Road block - summer training for sled dogs, they have to grab colored flags while on the path and trade those for fur pelts, which they then trade for the next clue. Father/son are first team there (after sitting on ice for 10 minutes)

A TAR TV insider in the media gondola wired for sound: What's with Jonathan and the Roadblocks? He has done 0, to Connor's 4!!!

Episode 4 - InGame Play By Play 3rd Period

Joel: I think that Jonathan is not so much with the physical activity - Connor is a little more athletic, I think.

the docs come in first

Joel: Father/daughter 2nd tv saleswomen 3rd

A TAR radio insider in the media gondola: I realize they didn't know where they were going when they got up that morning, but since they have their bags with them, and they had some time in the airport, why didn't Kevin change into something more appropriate than shorts once they knew they were headed to the arctic circle?

A TAR fan in the front row: The dog mushing looks like so much fun, but that fake bear was ridiculous. Loved the father's attitude with the dogs, however.

Michael/Kevin are Team #4.

Thread Information