View Poll Results: Should the Yankees go after Adam Dunn at the trade deadline?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 55.71%
  • No

31 44.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Adam Dunn a good fit with Yankees? (UPDATED link to White Sox)

Adam Dunn has been linked to the Yankees once again. Here's my take:

http://www.lennysyankees.com/2010/07...h-yankees.html

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by lenNY's Yankees; 07-07-10 at 01:55 PM.

Re: Adam Dunn a good fit with Yankees?

My take was always that Dunn is awesome.
    I have no association with "TEPLimey" at nomaas. Apparently a very disturbed individual likes to get their rocks off on pretending they are me. Sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by TEPLimey
    My take was always that Dunn is awesome.
    I agree with this take. But I probably wouldn't do it.

1) The likely price is quite high
    2) IIRC (and I may be wrong) he isn't a fan of the idea of playing in NY
    3) I think he's vulnerable to good (ie, postseason) pitching. As in he might strike out 20 times in October and frustrate us all.

That's all speculation, I know. But I would only do it if the Nats let him go cheaply.
    Stop Bunting.

NYYF HOF

Give me Dunn to DH.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

The Adam Dunn Performance Thread would be an unmitigated disaster. It makes me want him more.

I don't think he fits in the Yankees lineup anymore because now Posada is spending a considerable amount of time DHing. By acquiring Dunn, you are limiting Posada.
    [url]http://www.lennysyankees.com[/url]

NYYF HOF

Depends on the price really. Would I like him on the Yankees? Of course he's a homerun jacking machine. Sees pitches and walks a ton too. So yeah he'd be nice in the DH spot.

adam dunn, drool

Quote Originally Posted by lenNY's Yankees
    I don't think he fits in the Yankees lineup anymore because now Posada is spending a considerable amount of time DHing. By acquiring Dunn, you are limiting Posada.
    True, but it's only for 2 months. It gives the Yanks a huge advantage in the postseason when I don't expect Cervelli to be behind the plate much.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

Dunn would be phenomenal on this team as a DH and backup first baseman. If need be, he could play corner outfield as well.

But the question is, what would he cost? A few months of Adam Dunn is certainly not worth Jesus Montero or even Austin Romine.

I would be so thrilled to have Adam Dunn DH. He's like what I liked about Nick Johnson, just a lot better because he hits for a lot more power and isn't made of glass. Only thing is, I don't want to give up too much for him for a rental (I wouldn't give up Montero or Romine), and I don't want him in the field at all. Not even at 1B, he's painful to watch even there.
    Likes the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I would be very happy if the Yankees got him. Think how many puns I could make involving the poems of John Donne!

NYYF Legend

I want Dunn so damn bad.

He'd be a type-A FA after the season in the event they don't want to re-sign him.

NYYF Legend

Speaking of Nick, any word on how he's doing? Are they letting him shave himself yet?

NYYF Legend

before they signed Tex, heck yeah. Now not so much.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz
    I would be very happy if the Yankees got him. Think how many puns I could make involving the poems of John Donne!
    No man is an Eiland...
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    before they signed Tex, heck yeah. Now not so much.
    Even for half a year and a World Series push you wouldn't take him?

Like BOSS said, he's also a Type-A FA. If the Yanks don't want him they could get some picks for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

I'm not so sure the Nats would trade him. There were rumors earlier in the season about possible extension for him there.

they probably should extend him, even if they are not contending for a playoff spot anytime soon. it's building up fan loyalty and interest.

Posada DHs because we have nobody else to DH thanks to Cashman's stupid offseason moves.
    If they get Dunn, then Posada catches.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Not really because Jorge Posada will regain his stamina and health to return to catching duty behind the plate.

Sure, Jo-Po is not the best game calling and defensive catcher, but his power bat is needed in the catcher spot.

Do we really need to see Francisco Cervelli behind the plate all the time? Sure, Cervelli has better defense and hits .378 with RISP, .500 with RISP/2 out and .316 with the bases loaded, but he doesn't have power in his bat with those 31 RBIs.

Just like everyone else, I like to have an Adam Dunn on my team, but at what cost?
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55
    Not really because Jorge Posada will regain his stamina and health to return to catching duty behind the plate.

Sure, Jo-Po is not the best game calling and defensive catcher, but his power bat is needed in the catcher spot.

Do we really need to see Francisco Cervelli behind the plate all the time? Sure, Cervelli has better defense and hits .378 with RISP, .500 with RISP/2 out and .316 with the bases loaded, but he doesn't have power in his bat with those 31 RBIs.

Just like everyone else, I like to have an Adam Dunn on my team, but at what cost?
    Cervelli through 5/17: 20 G, 71 PA, .400/.471/.517.

Cervelli 5/18 - present: 34 G, 123 PA, .200/.281/.248.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

everyone going crazy over Adam Dunn, basically taking a young everyday player and sticking him at DH. Sounds just like all the talk about Nick Johnson and that turned out to be wonderful right?

remember this isnt free agent signing, its the trade deadline. Who would you give up for him?

if anything Posada/Thames will continue to platoon DH until Johnson gets back, and our bullpen is really the major suck.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45
    everyone going crazy over Adam Dunn, basically taking a young everyday player and sticking him at DH. Sounds just like all the talk about Nick Johnson and that turned out to be wonderful right?

remember this isnt free agent signing, its the trade deadline. Who would you give up for him?

if anything Posada/Thames will continue to platoon DH until Johnson gets back, and our bullpen is really the major suck.
    Well with Nick Johnson we took a gamble on him being healthy and it backfired. The idea was still good, but we simply underestimated how injury prone NJ would be as an everyday DH.

As for what I'd give up. Well you have to factor in that Dunn will provide draft pick compensation when we likely let him go in the offseason. I believe he is a type A free agent, but he's at least type B. With that in mind I'd give up a decent amount. Guys like Laird, Adams, Joseph, Nunez, Noesi, Phelps, Nova, McAllister could be in the conversation. I'd say in this type of deal we'd only really have the luxury of holding onto our top guys. My guess would be the Nats would probably want 2 of the guys I just mentioned (batter and a pitcher). If so that's on the steep side for me but still something to consider when you factor in draft pick compensation.

Lol at trying to trade for Adam Dunn with second tier prospects.

They'll want high ceiling prospects who'll become an impact MLB player next year or by 2012 at latest.

If they can't get that, they're just as well off taking their draft picks.

Thread Information