+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2010 Amateur Draft Results/Signings thread

Then I take Jordan. That swing is a thing of beauty.
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

I think Snatch is right. Evan's sudden committment to St. Petersburgh ain't exactly Stanford. Jordan is the son of a professional athlete who is used to making demands and negotiating.

I do think we will be able to go "over budget" if some of the summer follows justify it.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

We must sign him. How often do we get a shot at a canadian boxing, hockey player with an awesome name?

Devoted Member

I don't know much about Mason Williams - does anyone know more about him?

If it comes down to it, I want Jordan and Rutckyj the most out of our signability cases.

The budget is much higher than slot. It was close to eight million last year. We should be able to get many of these guys signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iknowcool
    The budget is much higher than slot. We should be able to get many of these guys signed.
    If you go by what Oppenheimer stated about the budget being about the same as last year, the budget is probably around 8M.

The following guys will be the really tough signs
    Gumbs
    Segedin (DES): Should cost 1-2M
    M. Williams: Asking 2M
    Encinas:
    T. Morton
    Burawa (DES)
    Desze
    Rutckyj
    K. Jacob
    K. Jordan
    Viramontes (DES)
    Kish

Quote Originally Posted by IrishYankee
    Then I take Jordan. That swing is a thing of beauty.
    Same here, but it's just since I'd like to see more legit bats in the system.

Richmond Virginians

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99
    Just saying, that thing in my opinion terrible. A+ for the Red Sox? I mean it was a good draft and probably the reason why would be for all the big names they drafted but does that really warrant the highest grade possible? Whose to say that on other teams draft boards the guys they took were lowly rated? I mean how did those guys all drop to the Red Sox? The other teams must have not thought these guys are as good.

It's the same thing with the Astros, this website gave them A- for the "big names" that they picked. They picked some good guys and were in all the pre-draft type stuff but I don't think their draft was all that deep.

Sorry for my rant but I just think that this ranking and others are just bad because they all base the prospects off of BA and other stuff like that

We should have had a bunch of names already today.

Addicted Member

RAB reported that 24th round pick Conor Mulee signed, as did Kyle Roller

quick question what does DES mean

Wow. Just ... wow. Soooo Boston A+ for some names that the writer had heard about. And Pittsburgh gets a C+ even with Tallion and Allie? Even going by the "names" criteria that the writer mistakenly uses, the Pirates should be higher than a C+ just for those two.

Also, always a good idea to give a grade days after the draft, regardless of who actually signs, and how they eventually do. BA doesn't even bother with this kind of BS. They at least wait until after the season to do a (very) preliminary analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by anubis7010
    quick question what does DES mean
    Draft Eligible Sophmore
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86
    Draft Eligible Sophmore
    Thanks

The fact that they mention a possible dynasty for the Nationals immediately destroys their credibility...

Richmond Virginians

Per RAB, "Paul O’Neill said during tonight’s broadcast that his nephew Mike (42nd rounder) is probably going to follow through on his commitment to Michigan. He apparently injured his shoulder right before the draft and needs surgery. It was a nepotism pick anyway."

To say the least as it initially got a rise out of me.

Culver riles Yankee Fans:

Yankees scouting director Damon Oppenheimer understands his team's fans are passionate. They want their club to flex their financial muscle and outspend everyone in terms of major league payroll, in the international market and in the draft. So when New York used the No. 32 overall choice on Irondequoit High (Rochester, N.Y.) shortstop Cito Culver, who was rated No. 168 by BA, he knew fans would be upset.

But he also took the player he wanted. He doesn't care about fan reaction or BA's Top 200. What matters more is the Yankees sent several veteran scouts to evaluate Culver, who played on their Area Code Games team, and they loved him.

"Our draft list was formulated by a group of scouts with 100 combined years of scouting experience," says Oppenheimer, who notes that another team told him it would have selected Culver before New York's second-round pick. "I'm running in guys there left and right, and every single guy came out of their liking him. He's a shortstop with a 65 arm (on the 20-80 scouting scale) and above-average speed, and we liked the way he swung the bat from both sides of the plate. He wasn't one of the 'names,' but he was one of ours."
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...0/2610185.html

PinstripesPlus is reporting several signings today.

Varce
    Claiborne
    Ferraro
    Trevor Johnson
    McCoy
    Shane Brown
    Oliver
    Whitley
    Gipson
    Stevenson
    Forer
    Lewis

Devoted Member

link?
    Is it a subscriber only link?
    [IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1401/nyybofs0.th.gif[/IMG]

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    PinstripesPlus is reporting several signings today.

Varce
    Claiborne
    Ferraro
    Trevor Johnson
    McCoy
    Shane Brown
    Oliver
    Whitley
    Gipson
    Stevenson
    Forer
    Lewis
    trevor Johnson looks interesting

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ID=20106090311
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoNYY
    link?
    Is it a subscriber only link?
    Yes, it is!

Johnson had said he was probably headed to college. Guess he changed his mind.

As for the Yankees, well, as usual they are really psyched up about all their picks, particularly their No. 1, 6-2, 175-pound switch-hitting high school shortstop Cito Culver from Rochester, who they're hoping will be Derek Jeter's eventual successor, and Mason Williams, an athletic 6-1, 160-pound Florida high school center fielder who they got in the fourth round. Most scouts regarded Williams as a first-rounder but teams backed off on the belief he was going to accept a scholarship to South Carolina. Williams' biggest asset is his blazing speed, although the Yankees believe he'll develop some power when he grows into his body and can be a Carl Crawford type.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz0qjPNUP6R

Williams a 1st round talent? That sounds exciting...

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

Thread Information