+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rule V

NYYF Legend

Re: Rule V

I have liked Lance for a long time. He had TJ surgery a few years ago, earlier in his career. That and the fact that he is a College guy explains why he is 27 and still in AAA last year. But he has pitched well wherever he has been in our system. He is stretched out to go a full season, and I would be surprised if he is not the #4 or #5 all season in Houston.

Kontos, to me, was a guy who would have been given a shot in the pen sometime during 2011. Sort of the way Meloncon and D.Rob were brought up and down at the beginning of their time in the Bronx. Now, I guess that role may go to R. Pope, or a starter converted to the pen, like maybe Noesi.

NYYF Legend

So with no really spots in the pen and both Fish & Turpin failing to impress so far, how long before they get offered back to their teams and open up two spots on the 40 man?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

only a matter of time, there's absolutely no way they'll stick as they've both been dreadful in every opportunity this spring training, and, like you said, bullpen is already crowded. i think first cuts will be made sometime in the next few days, and wouldn't be surprised to see those guys let go then. i wonder what our chances of getting kontos and pendleton back are.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam2448 View Post
    only a matter of time, there's absolutely no way they'll stick as they've both been dreadful in every opportunity this spring training, and, like you said, bullpen is already crowded. i think first cuts will be made sometime in the next few days, and wouldn't be surprised to see those guys let go then. i wonder what our chances of getting kontos and pendleton back are.
    Houston is dreadful with a poor MiLB system to boot so they are the type of team to keep a rule 5.

Not sure on Kontos as SD has a crowded talented pen too but isn't Kontos a 2 time selection who could become a MiLB free agent instead of going back to the Yanks? Maybe I have that wrong.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Turpin returned to R Sox
    Fish claimed by Royals
    and Kontos returned to Yanks http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...o-yankees.html
    Baseball is life;

NYYF MVP

Has Kontos regained his pre-TJS velocity? Wouldn't be terrible insurance for the bullpen

Lance Pendleton has also been returned.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...o-yankees.html
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

All that excitement of getting the first pick for Bruney seems so long ago.

As the stronger crops of young players move through the system the Yankees might need to do some package deals to thin out the herd. Or more Miranda-Allen type trades. Nice problem to have, but one that requires care not to waste assets.
    [IMG]http://www.soccerweekends.co.uk/images/manchester-united-tickets.gif[/IMG]

Killer Bs: Betances, Banuelos, Brackman, Bleich

Quote Originally Posted by Fabien Brandy View Post
    All that excitement of getting the first pick for Bruney seems so long ago.

As the stronger crops of young players move through the system the Yankees might need to do some package deals to thin out the herd. Or more Miranda-Allen type trades. Nice problem to have, but one that requires care not to
    waste assets.
    If today's chatter is true, there is an effort to move Romulo.

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Lance Pendleton has also been returned.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...o-yankees.html
    Astros tried to work out trade to keep Pendleton.

NYYF Legend

Makes sense, he's out of options and doesn't really have a place in this year's pen.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Astros tried to work out trade to keep Pendleton.
    That's interesting that the Yankees didn't pull anything off because we have such a starting pitcher logjam at the top two levels.
    Updated Minor League Depth Chart (In Progress)
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...36&output=html

Romulo sold to Japan

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    Romulo sold to Japan
    Can a player refuse to go? I know I wouldn't want to play there given the recent circumstances and would rather take a AAA job.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Can a player refuse to go? I know I wouldn't want to play there given the recent circumstances and would rather take a AAA job.
    Great question - especially considering what is going on, even miles away from the reactor.

Yes, but players seek these and then come to the team and the team does the money factors. I remember reading about it when we sold Rasner.

NYYF Legend

If he knows that he won't have a chance in the major, going to Japan is a good choice. He can get a better paid. The living and working environments there are also better.

NYYF Legend

When Millar was sold to Japan it didn't sound like he seeked it out as the Sox claimed on off what was supposed to be a routine waiver process. The Marlins didn't do their homework and see if another team was interested in trading for Millar before trying to force him to move halfway across the world.

2011 rule v

with the bottom 25% of the 40 man taking up wasted spots... was just curious who is Rule V eligible this off season to protect

??
    Montero
    Warren
    Kontos
    Banuelos
    Adams
    Joseph
    Phelps

Re: 2011 rule v

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    with the bottom 25% of the 40 man taking up wasted spots... was just curious who is Rule V eligible this off season to protect

??
    Montero
    Warren
    Kontos
    Banuelos
    Adams
    Joseph
    Phelps
    Romine, Mitchell, Phelps, Adams, Kontos, and Venditte. Some will likely be added for September along with Montero and ManBan who could be added this year as well. Venditte is probably the only guy who might not be protected. I hope they can make room for him though as he continues to pitch well despite being at a higher level.

NYYF Legend

Venditte will get drafted if he is not protected. The hype and publicity would be too much for a smaller market team to pass up knowing he can be stashed at the back of the bullpen.

Venditte will get drafted if he is not protected. The hype and publicity would be too much for a smaller market team to pass up knowing he can be stashed at the back of the bullpen.
    Yea, I agree someone would definitely take him. However I could see him being returned if he didn't perform well enough in ST. Totally agree though that someone snags him if available, so with that in mind I hope the Yankees protect him and we're the team that gets to see him pitch in ST.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Yea, I agree someone would definitely take him. However I could see him being returned if he didn't perform well enough in ST. Totally agree though that someone snags him if available, so with that in mind I hope the Yankees protect him and we're the team that gets to see him pitch in ST.
    IMO, he's stuff is pedestrian and he won't be missed.

Corban Joseph will also need protection. I know he was a high schooler, but I'm pretty sure he was 19. The age things usually throw me off, but I think I calculated that right. Warren and Colin Curtis could also be added to the 40 man (and possibly 25 man) rosters next year
    Updated Minor League Depth Chart (In Progress)
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...36&output=html

Quote Originally Posted by sjkqw View Post
    Corban Joseph will also need protection. I know he was a high schooler, but I'm pretty sure he was 19. The age things usually throw me off, but I think I calculated that right. Warren and Colin Curtis could also be added to the 40 man (and possibly 25 man) rosters next year
    Curtis was already on the 40 (although technically since he is on the 60 day he doesn't count against the current total)

Thread Information