+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rule V

Re: Rule V

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I'd be surprised if we signed 2 relievers. Joba/DRob is likely our setup man with Logan and possibly another lefty mixed in.
    Agree, its quite possible they choose to not pursue an 8th inning guy, but my general point was that there aren't as many slots available as it might seem, given the expected re-signs and roster holes they need to fill.

Edit: Just read your other post. I don't think the Yankees place high value on him. He really doesn't fit their plans in the next 1-2 years, and has younger more talented arms ready to over take him. The missed opportunity might be if they don't try to trade him in a minor deal ... a la Miranda.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Agree, its quite possible they choose to not pursue an 8th inning guy, but my general point was that there aren't as many slots available as it might seem, given the expected re-signs and roster holes they need to fill.
    I wouldn't be surprised if one of Nova, Phelps and/or DJ Mitchell ended up in the pen out of ST.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if one of Nova, Phelps and/or DJ Mitchell ended up in the pen out of ST.
    I think it is a lock that Nova makes the team in some role- long man with Aceves? However, the Yanks probably keep Phelps and DJ in AAA to remain viable near-ML ready SP in case they need to make a deal.

Kontos got nabbed by the Padres in the Rule V.

Richmond Virginians

Yanks lose George Kontos to San Diego.

Yanks took a LHP named Robert Fish.

Richmond Virginians

Yanks select Robert Fish, LHPAngels), who's just 22 and has a fastball that reaches 95. Fish got rocked in Double-A (8.93 ERA in 42 innings) but overall struck out 73 in 58 innings in 2010.

Richmond Virginians

Houston selects Lance Pendleton.

Richmond Virginians

Yankees select Daniel Turpin rhp, Red Sox: Boston got Turpen from the Giants for Ramon Ramirez, a deal the Giants are quite pleased about right now. Turpen was a swingman on Oregon State's back-to-back College World Series champions in 2006-2007 and has worked as a reliever in pro ball, reaching Double-A in 2010. He's more notable for throwing 92-94 mph from a low, almost sidearm slot than for his performance (69 IP, 28-60 BB-S0, 7-6, 4.30 overall mark). Lefthanded hitters batted .299 against him in 2010, including a .417 clip in the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Yankees select Daniel Turpin rhp, Red Sox: Boston got Turpen from the Giants for Ramon Ramirez, a deal the Giants are quite pleased about right now. Turpen was a swingman on Oregon State's back-to-back College World Series champions in 2006-2007 and has worked as a reliever in pro ball, reaching Double-A in 2010. He's more notable for throwing 92-94 mph from a low, almost sidearm slot than for his performance (69 IP, 28-60 BB-S0, 7-6, 4.30 overall mark). Lefthanded hitters batted .299 against him in 2010, including a .417 clip in the AFL.
    Really? nice, SP forum has very nice things to say about him.

Kind of sucks to lose Kontos. Kind of saw it coming when he wasn't protected. Hopefully he will be back.

Losing Kontos is annoying, I can see him sticking around in San Diego considering that he has already pitched in AAA before.
    Keep him in the back end of the pen and hope for the best, they might.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Yanks select Robert Fish, LHPAngels), who's just 22 and has a fastball that reaches 95. Fish got rocked in Double-A (8.93 ERA in 42 innings) but overall struck out 73 in 58 innings in 2010.
    Nice clay, nice clay indeed.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Richmond Virginians

In Triple A round, Yankees passed and did not select anyone.

Richmond Virginians

In Double A phase, Yankees passed and did not select anyone.

Yanks just missed on lefty Scott Diamond. Was taken by Twins 1 pick ahead of Yanks

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Losing Kontos is annoying, I can see him sticking around in San Diego considering that he has already pitched in AAA before.
    Keep him in the back end of the pen and hope for the best, they might.
    I'm not fully up on my rule 5 rules, has he been selected before or do I have him confused with someone else, Kroenke maybe? If he has previously been slected if/when he gets offered back to NYY can he decline and elect minor league FA status?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm not fully up on my rule 5 rules, has he been selected before or do I have him confused with someone else, Kroenke maybe? If he has previously been slected if/when he gets offered back to NYY can he decline and elect minor league FA status?
    I dont think he has been selected before and I think he'd have to come back to us. But yeah, seen as this was his first time exposed to this draft he definitely would come back to us and thats what I am hoping for.

NYYF Legend

Thanks.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Fish sounds interesting but can't see him sticking on the active roster all year. Kontos might have made more sense to keep for me.
    [IMG]http://www.soccerweekends.co.uk/images/manchester-united-tickets.gif[/IMG]

Killer Bs: Betances, Banuelos, Brackman, Bleich

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by Fabien Brandy View Post
    Fish sounds interesting but can't see him sticking on the active roster all year. Kontos might have made more sense to keep for me.
    I don't see either sticking. If they perform in spring training, maybe a trade can be made and they can be sent down.

Richmond Virginians

I'd rather we kept Kontos and Pendleton than draft Fish and Turpin. That said we'll see how it pans out. I'm not at all surprised that Kontos and Pendleton were selected. Kontos could make it in SD's bullpen and Pendleton has a shot at the Houston rotation or bullpen. I think we may get Kontos back depending on how he recovers from injury, but I'd be surprised if Pendleton comes back. He seems like a great fit in the NL, but we'll see.

Regarding our picks. Fish is intriguing and worth a shot, but I'd be surprised if either guy sticks.

NYYF Legend

Yankees: Robert Fish, LHP (from Angels): The best combination of left-handedness and velocity available, Fish has a plus-plus fastball for a southpaw, but it's straight, he can't command it, and he doesn't have a second pitch.

Yankees: Daniel Turpen, RHP (from Red Sox): Reliever with low-90s sinker finished strong in Arizona Fall League with eight straight scoreless appearances; most entertaining rumor of the day involves the Yankees selected him as a jab at Boston, with Turpen thought to be on the list of potential PTBNLs to San Diego in the Adrian Gonzalez deal.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=12561

If Pendleton doesn't come back, then I'm really happy for him. I don't know if he would have helped the Yankees ever even though I have rooted for him.

If Kontos doesn't come back, then I'll be kind of upset because I had a lot of hopes for him.
    Updated Minor League Depth Chart (In Progress)
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...36&output=html

Thread Information