+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Released Outright

Mark Twain's Autobiography. Finally.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-1980695.html

Exactly a century after rumours of his death turned out to be entirely accurate, one of Mark Twain's dying wishes is at last coming true: an extensive, outspoken and revelatory autobiography which he devoted the last decade of his life to writing is finally going to be published.

The creator of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and some of the most frequently misquoted catchphrases in theleft behind 5,000 unedited pages of memoirs when he died in 1910, together with handwritten notes saying that he did not want them to hit bookshops for at least a century.

That milestone has now been reached, and in November the University of California, Berkeley, where the manuscript is in a vault, will release the first volume of Mark Twain's autobiography. The eventual trilogy will run to half a million words, and shed new light on the quintessentially American novelist.

WHO THE F CHANGED MY CUT? johnnyyankee's Avatar

Re: Mark Twain's Autobiography. Finally.

Although I'm not much of a reader, I must say this is pretty cool. I better get started on Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

Of course they were assigned novels in school. Like anyone ever read in school.
    I'm just a simple guy, I live from day to day.
    A ray of sunshine melts my frown, blows my blues away.

NYYF Legend

I saw that Jenn had posted this on Facebook. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing if he was a cross dresser or something of the sort.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

I know - you would have to wonder what he'd want hidden for 100 years! Still, it should be interesting even if there are no tabloid revelations.

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

This will be awesome.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

I read Huck Finn for the first time last fall, amazing book. I am very interested in reading this autobiography.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

An amazing thing about Mark Twain is that both Shania Twain and Roger Clemens are related to him.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    An amazing thing about Mark Twain is that both Shania Twain and Roger Clemens are related to him.
    So are Diane Sawyer and Huckleberry Hound.

Mark Twain's Autobiography Is In George’s Box And Mark Twain's Autobiography Is Comin’ Back. Oh My Good–goodness Gracious! Of All The Dramatic Things–of All The Dramatic Things I’ve Ever Seen, Mark Twain's Autobiography Standing Right In George Steinbrenner’s Box Announcing He Is Back! Mark Twain's Autobiography Is A Book! And There We Go John, You Don’t Have To Worry About Who’s Going To Take That Spot In The Ny Times Best Seller List. You Should See What’s Going On In The Yankee Dugout! Big Grin On Jorge Posada’s Face! Andy Petitte Knew, Big-size Mark Twain's Autobiography Is Now A Book! Attention Fans! It Is Here, And Now We Don’t Have To Discuss Who Takes That Spot In The Ny Times Best Seller List.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mark Twain's Autobiography Is In George’s Box And Mark Twain's Autobiography Is Comin’ Back. Oh My Good–goodness Gracious! Of All The Dramatic Things–of All The Dramatic Things I’ve Ever Seen, Mark Twain's Autobiography Standing Right In George Steinbrenner’s Box Announcing He Is Back! Mark Twain's Autobiography Is A Book! And There We Go John, You Don’t Have To Worry About Who’s Going To Take That Spot In The Ny Times Best Seller List. You Should See What’s Going On In The Yankee Dugout! Big Grin On Jorge Posada’s Face! Andy Petitte Knew, Big-size Mark Twain's Autobiography Is Now A Book! Attention Fans! It Is Here, And Now We Don’t Have To Discuss Who Takes That Spot In The Ny Times Best Seller List.
    Waaaaay too much time on your hands.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyankee
    Although I'm not much of a reader, I must say this is pretty cool. I better get started on Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

Tom Sawyer is a fun kid's book, but you can skip it. Huckleberry Finn is one of the greatest American novels ever.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

What is so special about an author's life that this is so exciting? Did he do something spectacular other than write a few classic novels? Not to say that isn't a great achievement, but I can't really see why I should be giving a rat's ass about this guy's actual life. What did he do?
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Going to be some dirty shi* in here, you can be pretty candid about things a 100 years after you die.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    What is so special about an author's life that this is so exciting? Did he do something spectacular other than write a few classic novels? Not to say that isn't a great achievement, but I can't really see why I should be giving a rat's ass about this guy's actual life. What did he do?
    I'm not sure how to answer "what did he do" but he led a pretty fascinating life and, imo, his thoughts on life, god, science, women, racism, etc etc were extremely interesting especially given the era he lived in. You might want to check out his wiki page to see if you would agree or not.

I will guarantee this will be an interesting read. Twain had a very interesting life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyankee

I did. But I'm weird.

I am sure this will be lots of fun to read.

Oddly, I was thinking of "A Connecticut Yankee..." while driving thru CT the other day. A few minutes later I was flipping around on my car XM and a song from the eponymous musical was on the B'way station.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    I'm not sure how to answer "what did he do" but he led a pretty fascinating life and, imo, his thoughts on life, god, science, women, racism, etc etc were extremely interesting especially given the era he lived in. You might want to check out his wiki page to see if you would agree or not.
    You answered my question. After reading some of the comments and the excitement I thought he may have done something. Basically he was just an interesting person. Which makes sense.

I'm not into biographies all that much so it's hard for me to relate to the interest. Even people who are most fascinating in history, and even in a subject I would love. I could never sit and read a biography on Babe Ruth. Stephen King is my favorite author and I honestly don't care about his life experiences. Just the messed up version of them he writes about.

NYYF Legend

Mark Twain is one of the most fascinating American novelists. Ever.

I look forward to his autobiography. It should be pretty interesting. He led a very interesting life. I like his sardonic sense of humor.
    "In other news, the University of Color Me Surprised released a report today which states that water is indeed wet. Mind. Boggled." ~Michael K.

If you don't read the book, you won't know what he did, right?

Quote Originally Posted by allybear
    If you don't read the book, you won't know what he did, right?
    I won't. Even if he won 16 nobel prizes and cured cancer. Biographies bore me.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

We get it Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

I won't. Even if he won 16 nobel prizes and cured cancer. Biographies bore me.
    I saw that after I wrote that. I'll fill you in on anythng really interesting he did, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks
    Waaaaay too much time on your hands.

eh, that took like 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    We get it Steve.
    Sorry Sam, am I not allowed to respond to someone who quoted me? Sheesh.

Thread Information