+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 193
  1. #151

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    I'm glad the Yankees are racking up these wins now, eventually Toronto is going to remember that they have a lot of talent on that roster.

    Or, it could be that the talent was overrated, like many of us (see False1) said was a distinct possibility.

    Josh Johnson hasn't been Josh Johnson for a couple years. RA Dickey is good, but last year appears to be out of context. Both have moved to the AL as well.

    Yeah, they should get a little better, but they're not appearing to be the runaway that many expected.
    Team Northern Lights

  2. #152
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Or, it could be that the talent was overrated, like many of us (see False1) said was a distinct possibility.

    Josh Johnson hasn't been Josh Johnson for a couple years. RA Dickey is good, but last year appears to be out of context. Both have moved to the AL as well.

    Yeah, they should get a little better, but they're not appearing to be the runaway that many expected.
    Yup. Really the surprises for me are how well Boston is doing and how poorly (until they ran into the Yankees, anyway) the Rays are doing.

    I still say Tampa will be there at the end based on the strength of that pitching staff, that Baltimore and Boston will fade, that Toronto will be a non-factor. For the Yankees, it's all about upgrading via guys returning successfully from injuries - and/or upgrading the offense via trade around the ASB. Assuming some combo of a Granderson, or a Tex, or a Jeter, or (to a lesser degree sadly) and A-Rod can come back at peak form for part of the year I think this team is going to compete for AL East crown. Add in a Pineda or a surprise from a young prospect potentially... it has been and I think will continue to be a pretty interesting year for the Yankees.

    At least Toronto media wasn't running full back page "BEST TEAM EVAH" pieces like another team did last year.

  3. #153

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    roids arrived so they'll do better
    always reasonable

  4. #154

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    I really thought the Jays would be bad all along. Or not bad, but mediocre. Yeah, they added a ton of players, but [beyond the fact that the players are all individually overrated/just not that impressive], they were the same players who helped Miami limp to a last-place finish last year. Does transporting them over the border really make them capable of propelling a team to greatness instead of helping it spin its wheels?

  5. #155

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Does transporting them over the border really make them capable of propelling a team to greatness instead of helping it spin its wheels?
    A .260 avg is like .315 over there with the exchange rate.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  6. #156

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    A .260 avg is like .315 over there with the exchange rate.

    Haha, that might be a different story, then. How about ERA? Is it similarly inflated over the border? Because that could balance out the avg...

  7. #157
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Yup. Really the surprises for me are how well Boston is doing and how poorly (until they ran into the Yankees, anyway) the Rays are doing.

    I still say Tampa will be there at the end based on the strength of that pitching staff, that Baltimore and Boston will fade, that Toronto will be a non-factor. For the Yankees, it's all about upgrading via guys returning successfully from injuries - and/or upgrading the offense via trade around the ASB. Assuming some combo of a Granderson, or a Tex, or a Jeter, or (to a lesser degree sadly) and A-Rod can come back at peak form for part of the year I think this team is going to compete for AL East crown. Add in a Pineda or a surprise from a young prospect potentially... it has been and I think will continue to be a pretty interesting year for the Yankees.

    At least Toronto media wasn't running full back page "BEST TEAM EVAH" pieces like another team did last year.
    Lol well you clearly haven't interacted much with the Blue Jays fan base or been to the Skydome. Toronto probably has the worst sports fan base of any major North American city
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  8. #158
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Or, it could be that the talent was overrated, like many of us (see False1) said was a distinct possibility.

    Josh Johnson hasn't been Josh Johnson for a couple years. RA Dickey is good, but last year appears to be out of context. Both have moved to the AL as well.

    Yeah, they should get a little better, but they're not appearing to be the runaway that many expected.
    true, totally agree with you plus who thought Jose Reyes (history of leg injuries) playing 81 games on turf was a good idea. Don't count out the Blue Jays just yet but things don't look good for them
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

  9. #159
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Or, it could be that the talent was overrated, like many of us (see False1) said was a distinct possibility.

    Josh Johnson hasn't been Josh Johnson for a couple years. RA Dickey is good, but last year appears to be out of context. Both have moved to the AL as well.

    Yeah, they should get a little better, but they're not appearing to be the runaway that many expected.
    Yep. I never bought in to the Toronto hype either. At this point I actually think the Red Sox are going to be the bigger threat, and Tampa will always be a tough series because of their rotation.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  10. #160

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yep. I never bought in to the Toronto hype either. At this point I actually think the Red Sox are going to be the bigger threat, and Tampa will always be a tough series because of their rotation.
    I still don't think Boston is a threat, as currently constructed, and outside of Tampa's pitching, I'm not impressed. My view of the AL east was the exact reason I wasn't flushing this season away before the year started. Pretty much any team will be around until August.
    Team Northern Lights

  11. #161
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I still don't think Boston is a threat, as currently constructed, and outside of Tampa's pitching, I'm not impressed. My view of the AL east was the exact reason I wasn't flushing this season away before the year started. Pretty much any team will be around until August.
    Boston is a threat. Their starting pitching cannot stay with these absurd numbers, but Lester/Buchholtz are very good, and their pen is quite solid. Not to say we can't compete, but I never underestimate Sox.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  12. #162

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Boston is a threat. Their starting pitching cannot stay with these absurd numbers, but Lester/Buchholtz are very good, and their pen is quite solid. Not to say we can't compete, but I never underestimate Sox.
    I haven't been wrong on boston in 3-4 years. I have no worry about them as they are currently constructed.
    Team Northern Lights

  13. #163
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    They won't be this bad all season long -- gotta get em while we can.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  14. #164
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I haven't been wrong on boston in 3-4 years. I have no worry about them as they are currently constructed.
    Okay, but I am going to hold you to this....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  15. #165

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    At least Toronto media wasn't running full back page "BEST TEAM EVAH" pieces like another team did last year.
    That was 2011, but yeah.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  16. #166

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I haven't been wrong on boston in 3-4 years. I have no worry about them as they are currently constructed.
    I completely agree. Even if Lester and Buccholz continue on this roll (and the only one I see doing do is Lester) the Sox are a lot of smoke and mirrors at this point. They have NO depth anywhere. Once their players go down, they are in big trouble. The pitching staff is rail thin- Dempster will beat easy NL style lineups, but there's a reason he's never pitched well in the AL. The Sox have beat up on terrible teams and held their own against decent ones so far, but with contributions from players that are quite random in events- guys who are hitting .190 with a big homer here and there, hot streaks coinciding with other guys around them in lineup, etc.

    As for the pen, they have a decent one when Bailey is healthy. But Uehara is a very good 7th inning guy- he's not a good pressure guy, as Balt and Texas know. Hanrahan is a 97 mph straight fastball guy with no command- perfect "great in the NL central" mirage type of guy. Tazawa has always run hot and cold, and Miller the same. Solid pen...but one injury of Bailey away from mediocrity. Add to the fact that this team will NOT, over any period of time, hit righthanded pitching and you have a classic major dropoff waiting to happen.

    I'm worried about the Rays and, to a lesser extent, the O's. Not the Sox, other than the fact their hot start will allow them to hang around if they are healthier than they've been in a decade.

  17. #167
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    The reason the Sox need to be taken seriously.....18 wins, and it is still April. That is a hot start.

    Let's say that the Sox going forward play at an 85 win pace.....unreasonable? I don't think so. Normally that is out of the postseason.

    Couple that with the hot start, it gives them ~ 90 wins. This year, that puts them in play.

    They are solid at CF, solid at RF, solid at C, solid at 1B, good at 2B and a monster DH.

    There staff is no way staying this hot, but I would say between rotation and pen, they are solid.

    Myopic to just count them out as no threat.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  18. #168

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    The reason the Sox need to be taken seriously.....18 wins, and it is still April. That is a hot start.

    Let's say that the Sox going forward play at an 85 win pace.....unreasonable? I don't think so. Normally that is out of the postseason.

    Couple that with the hot start, it gives them ~ 90 wins. This year, that puts them in play.

    They are solid at CF, solid at RF, solid at C, solid at 1B, good at 2B and a monster DH.

    There staff is no way staying this hot, but I would say between rotation and pen, they are solid.

    Myopic to just count them out as no threat.
    It could easily be countered that jconsidering a team a threat based on 25 games and justifying it by saying a few positions are "solid" is equally myopic.

    Gold23 gave a pretty detailed reason why he felt as I do. I'm not going to change my mind about a team because two of their pitchers are off to good starts and the first baseman whose contract was restructured due to a potentially damaged hip is playing out of his mind.
    Team Northern Lights

  19. #169

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I completely agree. Even if Lester and Buccholz continue on this roll (and the only one I see doing do is Lester) the Sox are a lot of smoke and mirrors at this point. They have NO depth anywhere. Once their players go down, they are in big trouble. The pitching staff is rail thin- Dempster will beat easy NL style lineups, but there's a reason he's never pitched well in the AL. The Sox have beat up on terrible teams and held their own against decent ones so far, but with contributions from players that are quite random in events- guys who are hitting .190 with a big homer here and there, hot streaks coinciding with other guys around them in lineup, etc.

    As for the pen, they have a decent one when Bailey is healthy. But Uehara is a very good 7th inning guy- he's not a good pressure guy, as Balt and Texas know. Hanrahan is a 97 mph straight fastball guy with no command- perfect "great in the NL central" mirage type of guy. Tazawa has always run hot and cold, and Miller the same. Solid pen...but one injury of Bailey away from mediocrity. Add to the fact that this team will NOT, over any period of time, hit righthanded pitching and you have a classic major dropoff waiting to happen.

    I'm worried about the Rays and, to a lesser extent, the O's. Not the Sox, other than the fact their hot start will allow them to hang around if they are healthier than they've been in a decade.
    I came on this thread to gleefully bash the Blue Jays, whose fans I found insufferable this offseason. People wanting to call AA the greatest GM ever and such. The Jays are a team with absolutely no depth, and they are seeing that right now. As for what you wrote above, I think you're looking at this through our-colored glasses. The Red Sox have a very good team and saying they have no depth is seriously shortsighted. They have plenty of depth. The upper levels of their minor league system, especially pitching wise, are much better than ours. They don't have any stars, but they have no holes either. That's the thing, nobody on that team sucks. And the bullpen is seriously good. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise. That's crazy.

    I still think if we stay close to the top of the division (I think Tampa will get much better and Baltimore will fade when it gets warmer and hitters get better and of course Boston won't keep up this pace) until the all-star break, we'll be OK. But it's us with no pitching depth. We have to pray our elderly starters stay healthy because losing Nova, I think, was a good thing and will help us, but losing Pettitte or Kuroda could be awful. And folks like Wells are simply not going to keep hitting ...

  20. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    the first baseman whose contract was restructured due to a potentially damaged hip is playing out of his mind.
    This is a baseless throwaway statement if there ever was one. What are you basing it on, RBI?

    2013: .280/.333/.550, 136 wRC+, 4.8 WAR/150
    Career: .259/.356/. 508, 129 wRC+, 4.0 WAR/150

    He also doesn't have to spend the whole game behind the plate anymore

  21. #171

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    That's a throwaway statement? He was at 3/39 and now isn't he at 1/5? And it was because of his hip? He's not going to stay healthy.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  22. #172

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    He's not playing out of his mind at all.

  23. #173

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan Tavarez View Post
    He's not playing out of his mind at all.
    >playing better than his career line
    >not playing out of his mind
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  24. #174

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    He played out of his mind with Texas in 2011 and that was playing a lot behind the plate but I don't wanna argue with a Teixeira apologist, might be bad luck

  25. #175
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: The Blue Jays Thread

    honestly, i find it insulting to my intelligence that bautista and encarnacion can continue to juice and use masking agents while being so cavalier about it... both being north of the border, where drugs are easy to acquire, they have gone from sucking to suddenly bashing 40 HRs a year in the span of 1 season... and they somehow expect us to believe it's because of "batting stance adjustments?"

    give me an effing break
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts