+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1562
    NYYF Legend

Re: Did we make the right choice? [Austin Jackson vs. Curtis Granderson]

At the time I didn't like the trade. Now I think it's a decent trade for the Yankees.

How is Granderson's WAR that low? Their defensive metric must despise his D.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    imagine an OF of AJax, Gardner, and Melky? heh.....
    I think the Yankees having that OF in the 2011 would've most definitely missed postseason
    Plus, having that OF means that the Yankees would've had to live through the crap that was Melky in 2010 instead of Swisher and a BABIP fluke Jackson in CF, which probably would've been another PS miss.
    With two straight years of PS miss, that would've likely led to a mass riot outburst like the 2011 Boston with Girardi and Cashman fired, leaving the Yankees with Valentine...(shudder)

And in all honesty, I really don't see Melky becoming what he is now if he didn't get traded then released by the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    imagine an OF of AJax, Gardner, and Melky? heh.....
    Personally I'm glad and happy that our prospects are doing well. Sure some of them are playing for other teams but we've got some good players who came up through our system performing well for us too.

I think Curtis read this thread over his morning coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    How is Granderson's WAR that low? Their defensive metric must despise his D.
    He has a -29 UZR/150. McCutchen is the second worst.

Since when did curtis get that bad in the OF?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Since when did curtis get that bad in the OF?
    Absolutely - those two plays he made today were the worst.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    A half season of UZR isn't particularly meaningful. It's...not a perfect stat.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    At the time I didn't like the trade. Now I think it's a decent trade for the Yankees.

Just decent? You certainly are the master of understatement

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Granderson's catch last night was one of the best I've ever seen.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'd rate him a slightly below average defensive CF'er but there's no way he's anywhere close to being that bad. -29 is corpse of Bernie Williams circa 2005 status.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    It's funny to me how UZR hates Grandy and Tex, yet loves stone hands Soriano.

Until we get Batted ball/fx, UZR will remain a subjective and unreliable stat.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

UZR hates Tex? You kidding me? Anyone with eyes can see that he is probably the best 1B glove in the game.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    UZR hates Tex? You kidding me? Anyone with eyes can see that he is probably the best 1B glove in the game.
    I'm wrong. He's actually been loved by UZR the past couple years after being deemed below avg in 2010. It seems to be a useless stat in sample sizes of even a full season.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    It's funny to me how UZR hates Grandy and Tex, yet loves stone hands Soriano.

Until we get Batted ball/fx, UZR will remain a subjective and unreliable stat.
    ^ This. Precisely why I still refuse to accept WAR as the be all, end all stat some make it out to be (since it UZR as part of the calculation).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Wasn't saying it was. BJ Upton's also in the negatives, I'd be peachy if they got rid of it altogether, but it serves some purpose I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I'm wrong. He's actually been loved by UZR the past couple years after being deemed below avg in 2010. It seems to be a useless stat in sample sizes of even a full season.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the originators of the stat said 3 years is the best sample.
    Team Northern Lights

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the originators of the stat said 3 years is the best sample.
    Which makes it interesting when the one year sample is used in MVP discussions
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Which makes it interesting when the one year sample is used in MVP discussions
    I love stats, and loathe stat abuse.
    Team Northern Lights

Yes, I would say that we made the right decision. I know people will point to Jackson's youth but Granderson isn't an older player by any means and is one of the best sluggers in baseball. He's on track to hit 40 HR's two years in a row and he plays in a stadium that suits him perfectly. I love Granderson and couldn't think of where the Yanks would have been without him the past 2 years.

Jackson is a very good young player, but IMO he is not in Granderson's league.

The Yankees have one of the premiere power hitting CF's in all of baseball, a rare commodity for legit CF'ers.

Other than Josh Hamilton, I can't think of another CF'er who is better than Grandy, particularly for the Yankees.

I wouldn't even trade Granderson for Matt Kemp ... Granderson is a much better fit for Yankee Stadium.

And as a person, they don't come better than Grandy ... awesome guy to have in your clubhouse.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Really? I'd deal him for Kemp without thinking twice about it. McCutchen too.

One more thing:

I thought it would take a long time for the Yankees to replace Bernie Williams with a CF of his caliber, but they did it the day they traded for Curtis Granderson. He has been a Godsend to this team.

And we better re-sign him!

Losing this man would be an unmitigated disaster.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Really? I'd deal him for Kemp without thinking twice about it. McCutchen too.
    NOT ME

I wouldn't even consider it.

Granderson is a lefty who is tailor-made for Yankee Stadium, as evidenced by what may soon be back-to-back 40 HR seasons.

Matt Kemp (RHH) would not even approach Granderson's power numbers in the Bronx.

Also Granderson is a world class individual who is not phased in the least by NY and all of its distractions.

Kemp is a hip-hop generation kid who I fear might implode in NY

I would not even consider trading Granderson for Kemp.

Thread Information