+ Reply to Thread

Advice Needed: Finding Shade

I was thinking about hitting up a day game sometime in May (probably 1st and 2nd) and I was looking for some seating advice. I have a hard time sitting out in the sun for too long and wanted to know what everybody recommended for some shady seats. I'm on budget so I can only afford Grandstand or maybe some bargain priced Terrace seats. If I stay near the first base dugout and left field, will I most likely be out of the sun for the whole game? Thanks for the help...

Re: Advice Needed: Finding Shade

1st base side has the shade

Addicted Member

Most seats in the grandstand are covered from the sun, due to the frieze.
    http://twitter.com/NYMoot
    http://nyystarsandpinstripes.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by AnAbombfromA-rod13
    Most seats in the grandstand are covered from the sun, due to the frieze.
    Thanks. Just to be on the safe side should I stay away from the first few rows of the Grandstand or will I be ok anywhere on the Behind Home Plate/First Base side?

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBuckly
    Thanks. Just to be on the safe side should I stay away from the first few rows of the Grandstand or will I be ok anywhere on the Behind Home Plate/First Base side?
    You can get an idea of the shade patterns on the 3D seat selector:

http://yankees.io-media.com/

Click on the "Daylight Views" tab near the upper left-hand corner.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Devoted Member

My seats in jim beam arein the shade. Iwill sell either May 1 or 2. Make offer

Yankee-1
    I was thinking about hitting up a day game sometime in May (probably 1st and 2nd) and I was looking for some seating advice. I have a hard time sitting out in the sun for too long and wanted to know what everybody recommended for some shady seats. I'm on budget so I can only afford Grandstand or maybe some bargain priced Terrace seats. If I stay near the first base dugout and left field, will I most likely be out of the sun for the whole game? Thanks for the help...

The Grandstand seats behind home plate are in the shade for virtually the entire game, especially if you are more than 3 or 4 rows up. And you have an unobstructed view of the entire field (including both foul poles) from there.

Anything beyond row 7 in the grandstand and you're in the clear.

NYYF Cy Young

I have 2 seats in the Grandstand,Sec.422, row 3 (aisle), and they're in the shade after about 1/2 hour of a day game. I could sell you May 2 if you're interested,at face ($25 per seat). If you're interested, email me at RSG9000 at aol DOT com.

NYYF Legend

Grandstand is the way to go for shade
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

A lot of people with extra tickets this year, eh?
    It seems like every time someone asks a question about where they should sit because of _________ reason, there are multiple people throwing themselves and their tickets at the question asker. I don't think he asked who has tickets... just where he should sit.

Just a sign that people are way over extended with their ticket plans, in my opinion. Good stuff for bargain hunters though...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Bouge
    A lot of people with extra tickets this year, eh?
    It seems like every time someone asks a question about where they should sit because of _________ reason, there are multiple people throwing themselves and their tickets at the question asker. I don't think he asked who has tickets... just where he should sit.

Just a sign that people are way over extended with their ticket plans, in my opinion. Good stuff for bargain hunters though...
    ***************************************************************************************************
    Are you looking for tickets? I have tickets for any reason, day, section or price...lol
    *************************************************************************************************

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Bouge
    It seems like every time someone asks a question about where they should sit because of _________ reason, there are multiple people throwing themselves and their tickets at the question asker.
    I've got some JBS seats that I would be willing to sell you. (Low mileage, no rust.)

NYYF MVP

Just sit in the Main Box back rows, you can find nice seats there for $50 or less

Quote Originally Posted by Stanesq
    Just sit in the Main Box back rows, you can find nice seats there for $50 or less
    Main Outfield has to be one of the best deals in the stadium. Not high up, good view, covered in the shade and they have tvs if you are toward the back.

That's where I'm hoping to upgrade my seat plan to next season.

$50 a seat is very reasonable.

However if someone wants $25 or less I'd suggest the grandstand

What about the first few rows of the Terrace down the 1B/Right field side? Are these in the sun? According to the 3D seating chart it looks like they might be. Do they give way to shade early in the game?

What about the first few rows of the Terrace down the 1B/Right field side? Are these in the sun? According to the 3D seating chart it looks like they might be. Do they give way to shade early in the game?
    I'll be there Saturday so I will check it out for you - but I think it might be overcast. I think you might have to be down the right field line a bit if you really want to be in the shade and also be in the first few rows. Im in 327 and in the last (7th row) and behind me is a wall (the wheel-chair accessible seats are above me. Something comparable on the first base side may work for you since the wall may offer some shade

Terrace on the first base side is in the sun for most of the game. I had Sec. 305 last season and it was brutal. Got myself relocated to Grandstand 419 and loving every minute of the shade. Also saved $20 per ticket (that's 600 smackers saved on my Saturday+ plan). That will cover my post-season tix during the presale.

NYYF Cy Young

If your goal is to avoid the sun I would steer clear of the terrace level altogether. Not much shade anywhere in that section for mostly an entire 1pm game. I had terrace section 330 last year and the day games where it was sunny out or even hazy sun it was horrible to sit out there. I hated it. I made getting back into the shade my number one priority in the off-season. I made it into section 233A row 20 and compared to last year's seats it is wonderful. Shade, shelter, TV screens overhead plus big screen in center field can still be viewed. Total improvement over last year's crappy seats. And they were only $5 more per seat than terrace level seats were last year so budget-wise might still be within reach for you. (Just watch out for possible obstructed views in certain spots. I see the foul pole between 1B and 2B where I am but pitcher to cather is a fine clear view.) I would look for seats in this area if shade, shelter and comfort for a reasonable price are your goals. Definitely avoid terrace level for day games. No shade.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG
    Definitely avoid terrace level for day games. No shade.
    The terrace outfield seats are in the sun all the time but if there is one thing to be said about my JBS seats in section 317 (row 5), they are in the shade pretty much all season.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man
    The terrace outfield seats are in the sun all the time but if there is one thing to be said about my JBS seats in section 317 (row 5), they are in the shade pretty much all season.
    That may be the case but in his original post he stated he was on a budget that would probably take him out of the running for anything between the bases aside from grandstand, I was just trying to offer ideas within his affordability range. (And sometimes my absolute contempt for the seats they stuck me with last year just comes out involuntarily and I can't help it. )
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

OK here's what I have to report - from my seats in 327 it looked like from sec 307-313 the first 3-4 rows were in sunlight most of the game - so at least the grandstand sections directly behind them are in the shade for most if not the whole game. This would rule out most of terrace for you, so you would have to go with grandstand and main that are under the overhang.

Hope this helps

Thread Information