Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angels witness man jump to death at NYC hotel

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...e=MLBHeadlines

NEW YORK -- The Los Angeles Angels' first day on the road got off to a grim start Tuesday morning when a man jumped to his death from the 42nd floor of the Manhattan hotel where they are staying.
    About 15 players witnessed the aftermath of the apparent suicide when they walked out the front door of Le Parker Meridien hotel to board the team bus. The 39-year-old man landed on W. 56th St. at about 8:15 a.m. ET. The Angels' bus was scheduled to leave at 9 a.m. for Yankee Stadium, where they are playing in the Yankees' home opener.
    Pitchers Jered Weaver and Matt Palmer, according to witnesses, were at a coffee shop across the street at the time of the fall. Angels manager Mike Scioscia said they saw the fall and were shaken up by it.
    Neither pitched at the Yankees' home opener. New York won, 7-5.
    Weaver declined comment.
    "It's obviously traumatic when you witness something like that, but these guys understand the privilege of playing baseball," Scioscia said. "I think when something like that happens, it just reinforces how lucky we are. I don't know anything about the guy, but obviously something was troubling him."
    According to Angels publicist Eric Kay, several autograph seekers witnessed the man's death. The man was not a guest at the hotel, but asked to take a look at the hotel's pool, located on the top floor.
    By the time most of the players and Angels staff members reached the scene, police had closed the street and covered the man in a white sheet.
    "It was just sad," Kay said. "It was a surreal scene, like something out of a movie or a New York crime show."
    The hotel has more than 731 rooms and suites that range in price from $300 to $700.

Re: Angels witness man jump to death at NYC hotel

"The hotel has more than 731 rooms and suites that range in price from $300 to $700."

Well, that was relevant.

I'm glad they included the price of the rooms in the hotel, because that's what I was more concerned about than anything else.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

The only thing they are missing is the hotel's phone number.

Very sad. People really need to stop jumping off tall buildings like this, you want to kill yourself, fine, but don't kill others on your way down.

Quote Originally Posted by hbk81
    "The hotel has more than 731 rooms and suites that range in price from $300 to $700."

Well, that was relevant.
    There's going to be a lot of filler in what is really a pretty pointless article.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    People really need to stop jumping off tall buildings like this, you want to kill yourself, fine, but don't kill others on your way down.
    Probably not going to kill very many on the way down but certainly could with that sudden stop at ground level.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Released Outright

42nd floor. There must be a connection to Mo.

Something about this week every year should make the Angels think about hiding under a rock.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

no joke, but apparently weaver saw the man hit pavement
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Very sad. People really need to stop jumping off tall buildings like this, you want to kill yourself, fine, but don't kill others on your way down.
    How you do you know he wasn't being considerate of others?! I'd imagine 42 floors of air time provides the opportunity to steer one's self away from cars and pedestrians. If the poor guy took out someone on the ground you'd have a legitimate contention, but he was just doing his thing and minding his own business.

42 second floor wow thats high

Astoria's Resident Yankee Fan The Greek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael
    How you do you know he wasn't being considerate of others?! I'd imagine 42 floors of air time provides the opportunity to steer one's self away from cars and pedestrians. If the poor guy took out someone on the ground you'd have a legitimate contention, but he was just doing his thing and minding his own business.
    Any time you're jumping from a high position into a high-traffic area where you can be seen, you're being inconsiderate to others around you. You may not hurt anyone physically but what about the mental impact of having someone see you die? See you hit the pavement and splatter? That's disgusting and disturbing. What if a child was there? I have a problem with people who do this and jump in front of trains as well. Stop traumatizing others.

These people obviously aren't in the right frame of mind to think about the consequences of their actions (hence committing suicide) but I would think there are other alternatives that are less horrific than jumping from the 42nd floor, or from the Empire State Building like someone did last week.

I feel sorry for the man. Anyone who commits suicide just needed some serious mental help. Nobody should kill themselves. I don't know what he was going through but it's unfortunate to hear about this stories. May he RIP.
    The Man
    The Legend
    The Greek

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    Something about this week every year should make the Angels think about hiding under a rock.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

28 in '12

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Big fat ditto

NYYF Legend

I don't think I could ever get an image like that out of my mind. It's disturbing enough to see it on the news, but to actually see it in person....horrible, just horrible.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I posted about this in the DD thread yesterday. The Daily News had a photo of Torii Hunter signing autographs during the aftermath which GR made note of....

Tell that to the people who had to peel him off the sidewalk.

Honestly, think about all the factors. Jumping onto a busy street has got to be one of the least considerate ways to kill yourself.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Terrible thing to happen. And yeah, when he landed, good thing he didn't injure or kill someone else.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. You are jumping off a building in new york city, there are 100s of people lining the sidewalk, you could aim for a clear spot, but before you land, someone could be there. Also I doubt after jumping off a 42 floor building, you are thinking, well let me clear myself of other people. The fact that he didn't hit anyone doesn't make this any less of a miracle.

Wow, that's a horrible story. Like others, I think it's very fortunate that no innocent bystanders were physically hurt.

NYYF Legend

I was really disturbed reading that article until I realized how awesome those hotel rates are. Dynamite drop in. Seriously though, you gotta feel for the Angels, especially Weaver. Like they haven't been through enough.
    I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...
    I was indeed kidding, though I would hope that anyone who goes up to pool level on the 42nd floor to uh...take a dip, at least would have the courtesy to avoid bystanders on the way down. Don't get me wrong, it is inconsiderate. Tossing a toaster in the bathtub, sneaking into a methane-filled coal mine and lighting a cigar, hopping into a lion's den at midnight and playing the role of beef jerky...all of these options would get the job done in a more private and dignified manner.

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle
    I posted about this in the DD thread yesterday. The Daily News had a photo of Torii Hunter signing autographs during the aftermath which GR made note of....
    What's the DD Thread?
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF HOF

His final words were...

"Matsuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

(edited by mod - original post was messing up thread columns)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24
    no joke, but apparently weaver saw the man hit pavement
    I read the same thing in an online article. It said something like "Weaver declined to comment." Which tells you something about sportswriters/reporters. The guy just saw something very traumatic and they want to drudge it up soon thereafter to get his reaction.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Thread Information